Leon Thomas

felser

I was very happy a couple of years ago when most of the Leon Thomas Flying Dutchman titles came out on CD (nice job on those reissues), especially 'Live in Berlin' with Oliver Nelson. It seemed strange to me at the time that 'The Leon Thomas Album' was not reissued then, and to my knowledge it still hasn't been. Anyone know what the problem is there? Have they lost the master tape or something? Related question(s). There is a Leon Thomas album on the Mega label, 'Gold Sunrise on Magic Mountain', which I believe was live at Montreux, 1971. I've never heard it - is it any good? Any ideas why it isn't on CD? The only other item I'm aware of on the Mega label is Larry Coryell's 'Fairyland', which I believe was also live at Montreux 1971, and which I believe also has never been out on CD. Any knowledge on it? I assume Mega was a subsidiary of Flying Dutchman? Interestingly, while the Thomas and Coryell recordings from Montreux '71 were on Mega, Gato Barbieri's 'El Pampero' (a GREAT album, to me his masterpiece), I believe from the same festival, was on Flying Dutchman proper, and has been reissued on CD (thankfully!), also a real nice job. Any thoughts on 'The Leon Thomas Album' and the Mega stuff? thx.

Interesting! I own "Fairyland" on the Zodiac label (ZLP-5003, not listed in Bruyninck or Lord). I guess I had it in my mind that it was the original issue, but yep, there on the cover it says it contains previously released material.

Here's what I know of the Mega 5000 series:

5000 - Coryell, Larry: Fairyland

5001 - Purdie, Bernard: Stand By Me

5002 - Goodman, Benny: Let's Dance Again

5003 - Thomas, Leon: Gold Sunrise On Magic Mountain

5004 - Ward, Jerry Glenn: Focus

5005 - Apollo 100: Master Pieces

5006 - Harris, Phil: Southern Comfort - The Best Of Phil Harris

5007 - Spooner, Russ: You've Just Been Spoonerized

5008 - Black, Bill: Rock 'n Roll Forever

There's other stuff in 600 and 1000 series, by Sammi Smith, Cleanhead Vinson, Bill Black, etc.

Mike

The Gold Sunrise On Magic Mountain album is his least essential, IMO. It has been reissued on vinyl. Primarily a blues/african drums orgy, if my memory serves me correctly. But any Leon Thomas is good, and there's so little of it...

I too am puzzled why The Leon Thomas Album wasn't reissued. It's a great one, fortunately it was indeed reissued on vinyl.

Those French RCA/Victor Gold reissues were most excellent...love those Barbieri and Lonnie Liston Smith albums. Any other recommendations on the Flying Dutchman label?

Harold Alexander!  And Larry Coryell's "Barefoot Boy."

Oh yeah, forgot about Barefoot Boy, that one is quite excellent.

I don't know about the Harold Alexander stuff though. What can you tell me? Neither do I know Horace Tapscott.

One Flying Dutchman I wish was reissued is the Horace Tapscott 'The Giant Is Awakened'...

That was on a RCA Novus CD c/w a John Carter/Bobby Bradford album - one of them had a track missing on that CD, however. West Coast Hot was the CD title.

My picks on Flying Dutchman, in addition to the Leon Thomas's. Gato Barbieri's 'El Pampero','The Third World','Bolivia',and 'Under Fire' are his best albums, with 'El Pampero' belonging on my desert island list. The Horace Tapscott is pretty fabulous, Arthur Blythe's recording debut. 'The Giant is Awakened' was the name of it. If I could only own one Tapscott album or one Blythe album, that would be the one. 'Swiss Suite' by Oliver Nelson contains an amazing solo by Gato Barbieri on the 27 minute title track. I agree with the previous post about 'Barefoot Boy', maybe my favorite Coryell (I also like 'Offering' a lot). And Gil Scott-Heron's 'Pieces of a Man' is incredible, if not exactly jazz.

One Flying Dutchman I wish was reissued is the Horace Tapscott 'The Giant Is Awakened'...

That was on a RCA Novus CD c/w a John Carter/Bobby Bradford album - one of them had a track missing on that CD, however. West Coast Hot was the CD title.

Thanks Mike. Found this 'West Coast Hot' a while ago. I did not make the connection with the Flying Dutchman origin!

What about those couple of tracks featuring Thomas on the Oliver Nelson 'Black, Brown and Beautiful' collection put out on RCA and reissued in the late 1980s? That one is fantastic and also has some very fine Johnny Hodges (one of his very last sessions I think).

Edited by sidewinder

That is not the real Black, Brown and Beautiful though. It's a partial reissue of 3 Shades Of Blue, an FD album released under Hodges' name, filled out w/some other Nelson material.

Nelson's original Black, Brown and Beautiful LP has yet to be reissued, and that is a crime.

Edited by JSngry

The Harold Alexander I've owned (on LP and now on CD) - "Sunshine Man" - is hard to classify - there's electric piano on it, but it's not exactly a funk/fusion record. Sort of a period piece. My only other exposure to him was on that John Patton session. He's a strong player, and the "Flying Dutchman" has always seemed to me to be an attempt to find a wider audience without really compromising his own style. I'm sort of at a loss for words on this one, but I've always liked it.

Interesting! I own "Fairyland" on the Zodiac label (ZLP-5003, not listed in Bruyninck or Lord). I guess I had it in my mind that it was the original issue, but yep, there on the cover it says it contains previously released material.

There's other stuff in 600 and 1000 series, by Sammi Smith, Cleanhead Vinson, Bill Black, etc.

Mike

I would dearly love to have a copy of the Cleanhead Vinson album.

The Gold Sunrise On Magic Mountain album is his least essential, IMO. It has been reissued on vinyl. Primarily a blues/african drums orgy, if my memory serves me correctly. But any Leon Thomas is good, and there's so little of it...

I too am puzzled why The Leon Thomas Album wasn't reissued. It's a great one, fortunately it was indeed reissued on vinyl.

Those French RCA/Victor Gold reissues were most excellent...love those Barbieri and Lonnie Liston Smith albums. Any other recommendations on the Flying Dutchman label?

I got "Gold Sunrise On Magic Mountain: used for two dollars. Leon's version of "Chains Of Love" makes that an absolute steal!!!

Mike

I would dearly love to have a copy of the Cleanhead Vinson album.

It's live @ Montreaux w/Larry Coryell, iirc. HAd a buddy in high school what had it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We have a 2-LP Nelson set here at the station called A DREAM DEFERRED, which collects some of Nelson's Flying Dutchman work (including most of BLACK, BROWN & BEAUTIFUL--the MLK tribute which Jim so rightfully praises), and I gotta say that Leon Thomas' yodeling just destroys the end of "Duke's Place" for me. I enjoy Thomas elsewhere, but sometimes--in certain contexts--he just gets on my nerves.

There are 3 Groove Holmes LPs on Flyin Dutchman, all of which are missing from my Holmes collection

Onsaya Joy

$6 million man

I'm in the mood for love

I'd also like "Soul is Pretty Purdie" to be reissued

There's also a great LP on a FD subsidiary, Contact

Charlie Brown - "Why is everybody always picking on me?"

MG