Charlie Parker

bertrand

I was at the Haven Lounge in Baltimore, MD last night. In the back, they had a poster announcing an upcoming Charlie parker gig.

The year (1955) immediately caught my eye. I figured, wow, one of his last gigs. But then, as I got closer, I saw the date that was hidden by a lamp: Saturday, April 26th, 8:00 PM., at the Capitol Theatre, in Washington D.C.

I asked the owner Keith Covington about this. He said a friend of his got it from a movie set (for a movie filmed in D.C.) after the set was torn down. He siad he wasn't even sure this gig was actually booked.

I said I'd look into it and get back to him. I'm now pretty sure this was a prop. Why? Because, according to a calendar for 1955, 4/26/55 was a Tuesday! So the guy who did the props was clever enough to make up a fake poster for a gig scheduled after Bird's death (3/12/55, apparently a Saturday), but not clever enough to get the day of the week right. Also, was there ever a Capitol Theatre in D.C.? I've never heard of it.

Let me know your thoughts before I get back to Keith.

Bertrand.

I too remember and attended many movie houses in DC, in particular the Capitol theatre on F St. at 14th. it was a magnificent theatre. For under a dollar one could see a movie, short subjects, cartoons, a stage show with the likes of Mel Torme, Kay Starr, a full orchestra (Sam Jack Kaufman), sing along with a huge pipe organ played by Milt Schlosser, a Pathe news reel, (our picture news pre TV).

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/4759/memories8.html

(2nd paragraph)

Edited by Chalupa

And yes, Bird was scheduled to play in Boston, MA in a quartet that included Lennie Tristano.

Hello Mike,

Is that definitive? According to Peter Ind's Jazz Visions, George Wein invited Bird to join Lee Konitz's quartet (Konitz, Ronnie Ball, Ind and Jeff Morton), who were having a long residency at Storyville.

That would've been a curious two-alto gig. Were Woods and Quill already gigging at that time?

F