Sony: Copy-Protection terrorists

neveronfriday

If you are a nerd, the text linked to below reads like a crime story.

For the rest, here's a summary:

Apparently, Sony copy-protected CDs install software to enforce digital rights management on your PC. Here comes the good part: After installation, the software hides itself (cloaking) completely and makes itself almost unremovable (for the average user).

Cool, eh?

Sony Rootkits

Edit:

Not only had Sony put software on my system that uses techniques commonly used by malware to mask its presence, the software is poorly written and provides no means for uninstall. Worse, most users that stumble across the cloaked files with a RKR scan will cripple their computer if they attempt the obvious step of deleting the cloaked files.
Edited by neveronfriday

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never put a copy-protected CD into my PC.  However, will I always know if they are?  Is it legally required for them to indicate this?

Bertrand.

How about the classic CD/Compact Disc logo being there or not? Is it only the cactus system EMI is using that is not allowed to carry that logo, or does that apply to all copycrap discs? But then I think Sony has stopped using that logo anyway...

So, if one merely inserts on of these cds in one's computer (as opposed to installing the program designed to make it playable in a computer) this stuff is STILL installed?  I'm not quite clear on that point.  Pardon my density!

I think not, though to be on the safe side, you should make sure that AutoRun is turned off. This is when the CD automatically begins playing when inserted into the computer -- rather than you turning on MediaPlayer or CD Player or something. To turn off, load in a regular CD, cancel any media player. Then in the Explorer, right click on the CD icon -- it should be at the root level, just as your hard drive(s). One option is Autoplay. When you click on this, you should choose Take No Action and click that the computer should always "take no action" when you load in a CD with audio files. You can always launch a CD player later, but this gives you much more control over the process. (It really should be standard but Microsoft deems otherwise.)

Yeah, this malware really burns me up. I'm torn between loading in Linux and ripping a couple of the new releases I want (Drum Suite in particular) or boycotting Sony entirely. I'm leaning towards the second option with an occasional peek at P2P networks for this music. Treat people like criminals and they will act accordingly.

I don't have any of these SonyBMG copyprotected CDs yet, butI've read that unlike BMGs earlier scheme this one has a confirmation dialog once the Autorun starts, asking if installation should start. If one clicks No, the CD is ejected.

So it is not possible to "infect" the PC by just inserting the CD.

I don't have any of these SonyBMG copyprotected CDs yet, butI've read that unlike BMGs earlier scheme this one has a confirmation dialog once the Autorun starts, asking if installation should start. If one clicks No, the CD is ejected.

the solution would then be to disable autorun and see what gives in terms of accessing the actual music on the disc, ja?

Indeed what I was thinking. Don't panic just yet peoples.-

the solution would then be to disable autorun and see what gives in terms of accessing the actual music on the disc, ja?

Indeed what I was thinking. Don't panic just yet peoples.-

I don't panic as of yet, but I maintain my position that these copy-shitte discs are like showing the customers/buyers the finger for something that just they are *not* doing by *buying* the official, legal release.

I have picked up three or four Conns and RVGs since EMI went shitte, all on sale (half prize or less of our crazy list prizes). Before, I bought whole batches of RVGs and Conns within weeks after their release. I am really pissed off. And if the music industry goes in that direction, I am getting more and more willing to go for illegal downloads, just because I'm pissed. The main problem are the musicians, but thank God lables such as Hat or Leo or whatever labels are active in creative music do not even think of shitte such as copy protection.

That's just my two cents.

I am not at all into illegal downloads of released material, mind me - I *like* to spend some money on an actual quality product. I am willing to pay for a nice CD with some art and all, I don't want crappy downloads (even less so for such ridiculous prizes as you often see them offered - with no liners/art/discographical info coming along).

... a nice CD with some art and all...

EMI/BN even went so far to print the Cactus logo on the FRONT cover of some of their Capitol releases. Now that is definitely something I get pissed about as well.

As for the discs being copy protected. Ah well, they still play -- I know I am lucky in that department -- and I for one cannot hear any difference.

The main problem are the musicians, but thank God lables such as Hat or Leo or whatever labels are active in creative music do not even think of shitte such as copy protection.

I'd like to know what makes you think this because other than the infamous Metallica/Napster debacle, I don't think the majority of musicians/artists support copy-protection at all. This seems to be the doing of the labels in order to "protect" their investment.

Besides, if the musicians were really clamoring for copy-protection, do you think the majors would actually spend all this money to develop it? When do they ever give a shit what the musicians want?

Another reason to be afraid...

link

From this article "The Sony copy-protection software does not install itself on Macintosh computers or ordinary CD and DVD players."

I read in one of the articles on this topic that the copy protection software does not work in macs. Can anyone confirm this (I'd like to buy the Horace Silver but haven't done so because of the copy protection)?

I am listening to Silver's Blue as I type this, no malfunction, no software installation on my Mac

Besides, if the musicians were really clamoring for copy-protection, do you think the majors would actually spend all this money to develop it?  When do they ever give a shit what the musicians want?

Would have to agree with Jim, It's all about the bottem line $$$$

I think you guys are misreading Ubu's remark. The way I read it, he has a problem with downloading because of the musicians as part of the equation; not with musicians because they are a bunch of copy protection promoters.