Essential SACD's to get

Matthew

Some great sounding jazz SACDs which are really worth getting even if you already have good sounding CD versions:

- Art Pepper: Modern Jazz Classics

- Bill Evans Trio: Sunday At The Village Vanguard

- Bill Evans Trio: Waltz For Debby

- Bob Belden: Black Dahlia

- Cannonball Adderley Quintet: In San Francisco

- Eric Dolphy: Out There

- Gil Evans: Gil Evans & Ten (first stereo release)

- Joe Henderson: Lush Life (remastering has improved the 16bit digital recording)

- John Coltrane: Standard Coltrane

- John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman (has the mono recordings as bonus)

- Miles Davis: Big Fun (much better than CD box set)

- Miles Davis: In A Silent Way (multichannel layer)

- Miles Davis: Kind of Blue

- Sonny Clark Trio

- Sky Garden: Yo Miles!

- Sonny Rollins: Way Out West

There are many other good sounding SACDs, but some don't sound much superior to the remastered CD versions, that's why I did not list them.

Here's my complete SACD list: http://www.sa-cd.net/recommendations/725

Thanks for the suggestions -- I was looking through the internet the the RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence box, I can't find it; is it already OOP? I know the Bob Dylan cd/sacd box is now OOP, which is why I got it now instead of later when I would be paying an arm & leg for it.

Thanks for the suggestions -- I was looking through the internet the the RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence box, I can't find it; is it already OOP?  I know the Bob Dylan cd/sacd box is now OOP, which is why I got it now instead of later when I would be paying an arm & leg for it.

I don't know of any RLS or MLP SACD boxes. There are only individual titles, as far as I know. You should be able to find them easily at Acoustic Sounds.

• 1 year later...

As someone who recently acquired an SACD/DVD-A machine who has also been recently listening to a lot more classical music, if anyone, especially a certain somebody who also posts to SA-CD.net cares to share an opinion concerning classical releases...though all are welcome to do so! I've gone from 4 SACD hybrids to 35 in a couple of weeks, but would love to hear about some favorite classical releases that combine the magic of great performance & recording on SACD. And not just the wonderful Living Stereo series (which has replaced RVG in my heart) but modern recommendations welcome too.

Edited by Quincy

Hi Quincy,

I guess that certain somebody must be me :) I've quite a large collection of SACDs, and I can recommend almost all of them

http://www.sa-cd.net/library/725

Besides the Living Stereo and Mercury series, my favourite classical SACD labels are Pentatone and Telarc. The recording quality is flawless. Here are some of my favourites:

Russian Violin Concertos - Fischer/Kreizberg

Franck: Symphony in D minor, Chausson: Symphony in B flat - Janowski

Wagner: Overtures & Preludes - Varviso/Schumacher (from Pentatone's "Remastered Quadro Recording" series)

Vaughan Williams: Sea Symphony - Atlanta Symphony/Spano

Dukas: Sorcerer's Apprentice etc. - Cincinnati/Lopez-Cobos

And from other labels:

Shostakovich/Shchedrin: Piano Concertos - Marc-André Hamelin

Bartok: The Wooden Prince, Kossuth - Kocsis

Benjamin Britten: Les Illuminations - Scottish Ensemble

The inevitable Mahler:

Mahler: Symphony No. 6, Henze: Sebastian im Traum - Jansons

All of the Jordi Savall SACDs are worth getting, if you like medevial music:

Carlos V: Mille Regretz, La Cancion del Emperador - Hesperion XXI/Savall

La Folia - Hesperion XXI/Savall

Another of my historical instruments favourites:

Rameau: Une symphonie imaginaire - Minkowski

Some more unusual repertoire:

Karl Amadeus Hartmann: Sinfonia Tragica, Concerto for Viola and Piano

Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky (complete) - Frank Strobel

The best sounding solo piano recording:

Volodos Plays Liszt

The prices of many SACDs is quite steep (over $20 or even $25). For the past year, I've been buying almost exclusively from Caiman or DVDlegacy, through the amazon(.fr) Marketplace. Prices including shipping are usually 30% lower than the regular price, and the discs are shipped individually.

When clicking a link on SA-CD.net and ordering a disc, that site will benefit from the seller's affiliate program. If you want Orgasnissimo to benefit from your purchases, go to the store by using the search box on this page (no need to fill in a search term), and then only click the direct link provided by SA-CD.net. Of course both sites deserve support.

Matthew - if you like the Rolling Stones, you might want to start nabbing the ABKCO SACD hybrids that are out there. They're the ones from 2002, in the digipaks. They are out of print now, and getting more difficult to find. The ABKCO titles have since been reissued in jewel cases, and advertise that they're DSD remastered, but they're not hybrid SACD's.

Also, since your player is universal, I'd recommend you pick up the Porcupine Tree stuff that's out there, if you don't already have it. Stupid Dream, In Absentia, Deadwing, and the upcoming Fear of a Blank Planet DVD-A's. And the Lightbulb Sun DVD-A is due out sometime in the next 12 months too still.

Matthew - if you like the Rolling Stones, you might want to start nabbing the ABKCO SACD hybrids that are out there. They're the ones from 2002, in the digipaks. They are out of print now, and getting more difficult to find. The ABKCO titles have since been reissued in jewel cases, and advertise that they're DSD remastered, but they're not hybrid SACD's.

Also, since your player is universal, I'd recommend you pick up the Porcupine Tree stuff that's out there, if you don't already have it. Stupid Dream, In Absentia, Deadwing, and the upcoming Fear of a Blank Planet DVD-A's. And the Lightbulb Sun DVD-A is due out sometime in the next 12 months too still.

I did get all the Stones sacds, especially when I heard they were going OOP. I thinks they sound great, despite what some say on that "audiophile" forum. I have a couple of the PT DVD-A's, but my problem is that my universal defaults to multi-channel, and I can't figure out how to get just the PCM stereo. Oh well, the regular cds sound fine....

When clicking a link on SA-CD.net and ordering a disc, that site will benefit from the seller's affiliate program. If you want Orgasnissimo to benefit from your purchases, go to the store by using the search box on this page (no need to fill in a search term), and then only click the direct link provided by SA-CD.net. Of course both sites deserve support.

Thanks Claude! I put in an order of a dozen discs when organissimo was down, so SA-CD.net got my support (and it was very easy as I was using my wish list.) The Fischer/Kreizberg Russian Violin Concertos really is terrific as advertised! I'm making an effort to go outside of the bounds of the Living Stereo series (in other words, spending more money as those are too hard to resist because of performance & price!), so I especially appreciate the recommendations outside of that series.

Claude, I saw from your list that you already have the Milt Jackson Invitation SACD - does that sound better than the OJC CD?

Sorry Mike, I don't have it yet. I've ordered it from Amazon France a week ago (17 euro only!) and immediately moved it from my SA-CD.net wishlist to my library. Amazon says it will be sent in a week. I'll post a review on sa-cd.net.

Definitely an improvement over earlier cds. . . . Not going to make you toss your lps out the window, but who would?

Possibly a bit bright in some instances but in general thiese are really good discs to have. I only wish they had done a few other titles (New Morning, Self Portrait).

In celebration of my purchase of a Denon universal cd player, I'm going on a spending spree -- what are the SACD's that I absolutely, positively, have to get?

The Genesis SACD/DVD-A 'Trick of the Tail' mini-lp box that's due out in a few weeks? :excited:

http://diskunion.net/search_result.php?typ...amp;all_genre=1

Already have the SACD Genesis box, and I happen to like the sound very much, you'll like the sound on TOTT . If anyone likes small group swing, Jazz at the Pawnshop is an amazing sacd to have; sound is the best I've heard, and the music is very nice also.

Claude, I saw from your list that you already have the Milt Jackson Invitation SACD - does that sound better than the OJC CD?

Sorry Mike, I don't have it yet. I've ordered it from Amazon France a week ago (17 euro only!) and immediately moved it from my SA-CD.net wishlist to my library. Amazon says it will be sent in a week. I'll post a review on sa-cd.net.

I don't recall what the OJC sounds like, but I do have this SACD and think it sounds wonderful. I've played it at least once a day since I got it a few weeks ago. Highly recommended music with a nice late-night vibe.

• 7 months later...

I don't have a lot of SACDs but here are a few I can highly recomend for sound and content.

On the Wings of an Eagle - John Hicks, Buster Williams, Louis Hayes (Chesky) Hybrid

Sonny Clark Trio - (Audio Fidelity) Hybrid

Round About Midnight - Miles (Sony)

Folk Singer - Muddy Waters (Chess/UMG)

edited to add another.

Hank Jones - West of 5th w/Christian McBride and Jimmy Cobb (Chesky) Hybrid

The usual high standards of Hank comes through. It's all standards except one tune by Jimmy Cobb.

Edited by six string