Roland Kirk rankings

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rip, Rig, & Panic"/Please Don't you Cry Now, Beautiful Edith and Kirk's Work.

Bright Moments has some great playing on it as well, the opening track is a classic.

Conn, thanks for reminding me about the Jaki Byard Experience. I will grab that one this week off emusic.

• 1 year later...

I need pretty much all of them.

One that I didn't see mentioned is his excellent final pre-stroke recording, Other Folk's Music (Atlantic). Simone popped up on my ipod yesterday (with Richard Williams and Roy Haynes), and it is a great recording. Trudy Pitts also appears on the record.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bill Barton

Nice to see this thread resurfacing...

I could have sworn that I replied before, but apparently not!

If I had to narrow it down to the top three, my choices would be:

Rip, Rig & Panic

Kirk in Copenhagen

Here Comes the Whistleman

The first two are in the Kirk box with additional material from Copenhagen.

• 2 weeks later...

One that I didn't see mentioned is his excellent final pre-stroke recording, Other Folk's Music (Atlantic). Simone popped up on my ipod yesterday (with Richard Williams and Roy Haynes), and it is a great recording. Trudy Pitts also appears on the record.

I believe that the Return of the 5000 Pound Man was also recorded pre-stroke, although perhaps released post-stroke. I saw him play that material live post-stroke. It was very moving. Edited by John L

I believe that the Return of the 5000 Pound Man was also recorded pre-stroke, although perhaps released post-stroke. I saw him play that material live post-stroke. It was very moving.

Producer Joel Dorn wrote a description of the last three Kirk albums, recorded for Warner Brothers. From what I remember about his writing, 5000 Pound Man was the first recorded, pre-stroke. Kirkatron was assembled from the leftovers of the 5000 Pound Man sessions. There wasn't enough there for another full album. So Kirkatron was finished off with pre-stroke live recordings from the Montreux Jazz Festival, which the festival organizers graciously made available.

Boogie Woogie String Along For Real was recorded post-stroke, and the sessions were nearly impossible, according to Dorn. Kirk was in a lot of pain. He wrote that when Kirk left the studio after the last session, he knew he would never see Kirk again.

Edited by Hot Ptah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

After a few concerts at the Keystone Korner, Rahsaan became a minor obsession for me. I picked up every LP I could find. When I gave up fixed-point living for perpetual travel, the LPs went to storage and I went MP3 by way of CDs. (A bummer in itself.) I had the Mercury Box and a set of Atlantic CDs and I've enjoyed the heck out them.

A few days ago, I was in Lexington and spotted Jaki Byard Experience in a cheap CD rack. I probably haven't heard it in nearly 20 years. Damn! What a great album. Three seconds into Parisian Thoroughfare, I swimming in a pool of memories - Bud, Max and Brownie, Byrd and Jaspar - but the Byard and Kirk version is like new to me, as if I've never heard it before. Amazing what 20 years can do. For me, definitely a top Rahsaan Roland Kirk album.

After a few concerts at the Keystone Korner, Rahsaan became a minor obsession for me. I picked up every LP I could find. When I gave up fixed-point living for perpetual travel, the LPs went to storage and I went MP3 by way of CDs. (A bummer in itself.) I had the Mercury Box and a set of Atlantic CDs and I've enjoyed the heck out them.

A few days ago, I was in Lexington and spotted Jaki Byard Experience in a cheap CD rack. I probably haven't heard it in nearly 20 years. Damn! What a great album. Three seconds into Parisian Thoroughfare, I swimming in a pool of memories - Bud, Max and Brownie, Byrd and Jaspar - but the Byard and Kirk version is like new to me, as if I've never heard it before. Amazing what 20 years can do. For me, definitely a top Rahsaan Roland Kirk album.

Thanks for the reminder - I'll pull the Prestige LP of that one out of the racks tonight !

• 2 weeks later...