• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Soul Stirrers with R H Harris - Shine on me

Kenny Burrell - Have yourself a soulful little Christmas

Jimmy McGriff - Christmas with Jimmy McGriff

then some 45s

Lowell Fulson - Lonesome Christmas pts 1 & 2 - Hollywood reissue

Charles Brown with the Three Blazers - Merry Christmas baby/Lloyd Glenn - Sleigh ride - Hollywood reissue

Charles Brown - Please come home for Christmas/Amos Milburn - Christmas (comes but once a year) - King orig

Charles Brown - It's Christmas time/Christmas finds me lonely wanting you - King orig

Charles Brown - Merry Christmas baby/Please come home for Christmas - Jewel orig (early '70s version with wah wah guitars!)

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

On Vinyl:

The Ventures' Christmas Album

You have that on vinyl? I am sooooooo jealous. I'll be completely green with envy if you tell me it's a mono copy. :winky:

Much as I would love to make you jealous, Big Al, it's the stereo issue [they call it visual sound Stereo] on the Dolton label. It has a nice picture of three guitars and a pair of drumsticks on a Christmas wreath on the cover.

But, it's early stereo by the Ventures which always seemed to me be a conscious effort by this group, particularly in their surfing albums, to always have the jumping across the room feature. But, that aside, it's a favourite.:)

Edited by patricia

On Vinyl:

You have that on vinyl? I am sooooooo jealous. I'll be completely green with envy if you tell me it's a mono copy. :winky:

Much as I would love to make you jealous, Big Al, it's the stereo issue [they call it visual sound Stereo] on the Dolton label. It has a nice picture of three guitars and a pair of drumsticks on a Christmas wreath on the cover.

But, it's early stereo by the Ventures which always seemed to me be a conscious effort by this group, particularly in their surfing albums, to always have the jumping across the room feature. But, that aside, it's a favourite.:)

On some old record players (and even some hifis, I think) you could (or had to) press a button to turn the amp on to stereo or mono. Pity, when you get records like that, that you can't do it on modern ones. Same for the electronically rechannelled stuff.

MG

On Vinyl:

On some old record players (and even some hifis, I think) you could (or had to) press a button to turn the amp on to stereo or mono. Pity, when you get records like that, that you can't do it on modern ones. Same for the electronically rechannelled stuff.

MG

MG do you know if anything bad actually happened if you played a mono record on the stereo setting?

There seemed to be actual fear of playing the wrong kind of record on the wrong setting at the time.

Then, it seems to me that there were some records in the transitional period that assured us that they could be played on a stereo system without damaging it, which re enforced the fear that it was possible to damage your brand new system by playing your old monos on it.

I remember a certain sense of relief on reading the serious note to that effect on the label.

On Vinyl:

MG

MG do you know if anything bad actually happened if you played a mono record on the stereo setting?

There seemed to be actual fear of playing the wrong kind of record on the wrong setting at the time.

Then, it seems to me that there were some records in the transitional period that assured us that they could be played on a stereo system without damaging it, which re enforced the fear that it was possible to damage your brand new system by playing your old monos on it.

I remember a certain sense of relief on reading the serious note to that effect on the label.

What they used to say was that you could play a stereo record on a mono system without damaging it if you used a stero cartridge and stylus. That's what I did. I had mono record players, then a mono amp when I moved to hifi, until the mid '70s, when my wife protested about this amp in the living room with all its dusty valves showing! But I'd been buying stereo LPs for ages, because they had stopped making mono ones.

I'm not sure about the reverse being true. I never heard that. I play mono records on my system without a qualm. On the system, all that could be damaged would be the stylus and I really doubt that. As for damaging the records, I should think it's undetectable, it there is any damage.

The real argument for using a stereo cartridge and stylus on a stereo record was always that a mono setup wouldn't capture the way the sides of the groove varied, so you wouldn't hear proper reproduction of the sound. But no one actually said that in marketing LPs; it was always this damage thing.

MG

But no one actually said that in marketing LPs; it was always this damage thing.

MG

Exactly. But, wasn't that around the time that records got flimsier, Dynagroove etc.?

There were some that said on the label they could be played on either mono OR stereo. I never understood what magic would take place. :huh:

Edited by patricia

But no one actually said that in marketing LPs; it was always this damage thing.

MG

Exactly. But, wasn't that around the time that records got flimsier, Dynagroove etc.?

There were some that said on the label they could be played on either mono OR stereo. I never understood what magic would take place. :huh:

Not sure about Dynagroove. I have never bought too many records by major companies. My memory of this is that records got very thin with the oil price rise in the early '70s - 1973 as far as I can tell. I've got some Prestige LPs from that period that are so flimsy, the polythene wrapping around the sleeve bends them! (And they're all FUNK classics - I always thought the Sheikhs did it deliberately to make these albums less long-lasting. :g )

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

MG

Not sure about Dynagroove. I have never bought too many records by major companies. My memory of this is that records got very thin with the oil price rise in the early '70s - 1973 as far as I can tell. I've got some Prestige LPs from that period that are so flimsy, the polythene wrapping around the sleeve bends them! (And they're all FUNK classics - I always thought the Sheikhs did it deliberately to make these albums less long-lasting. :g )

MG

Yeah. That's probably it.;)

Today:

Louis Armstrong "Christmas through the Years"

"An Uptown Christmas"

"Crescent City Christmas Card" Wynton Marsalis/LCJO

a collection of Christmas songs performed by three friends of mine on piano, synth bass and drums, recorded in 1989 (I transferred it to cdr for them last Christmas)

Hadn't played any Christmas music til yesterday, but I made up for it over these two days:

The Roches: We Three Kings - my favorite Christmas record

Robert Earl Keen: "Merry Christmas from the Family" - the other side of Christmas

New England Christmastide

Aaron Neville's Soulful Christmas

The New Possibility: John Fahey's soli Christmas Album

Blue Christmas - Charles Brown, Clyde McPhatter & the Drifters, Roy Milton, Bull Moose Jackson, Jimmy Liggins, The Orioles, et.al.

I'm finishing up today with my friend Decibel Dennis' annual Christmas compilation, Decibel Dennis' December Delights 2006, with Amos & Arabella: The Lord's Prayer from the Amos & Andy tv show, Sons of Heaven, both Sonny Boy Williamsons, Dwight Twilley, Rhodes Tavern Troubadors, Buck Owens, The Chambers Brothers, Darlene Love singing "Christmastime for the Jews" from SNL,and many others.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tony Bennett SNOWFALL. He does a song on there called "Christmasland" that not only makes me yearn for the Christmases of my childhood, it gets me all choked up thinking about how quickly my son and his friends are growing up. Melancholy, bittersweet, but never overdone or maudlin.