What Holiday Music Are You Spinninng Now

Soulstation1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone pick up krall's new christmas cd and like it?

My wife picked the Krall Christmas cd up a few days ago and while the arrangements are nice (including a couple with Johnny Mandel) most of the tracks leaving me saying: fill in the blank did this one better. Her voice just does not move me. Back to the topic:

Oscar Peterson Christmas

Blue Note Christmas

6 string Santa-Joe Pass. A great jazz album not just a great Christmas album

Ella Fitzgerald- A swingin' Christmas

Tony Bennett Chrismas Album-Snowfall

Al Dimeola Winter Nights

Cyrus Chestnut-A Charlie Brown Christmas

God rest ye merry Jazzmen

Jethro Tull Christmas

Nat King Cole Christmas album

Carpenters Christmas Portrait

Blue Christmas-Elvis Presley

yesterday I am at my local grocery store and in the middle of all the Christmas songs, they play Billie Holday's "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm" (the original version) and it fit so nicely with the other songs and I thought who is the ultra cool dude programming this stuff?

Monday morning I was at the McDonald's having a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper, and over the sound system came Charles Brown singing Merry Christmas Baby. It was a little soft, but it sounded like his 1961 King recording. I was a happy camper!

just put on my first holiday recording of the season:

An Uptown Christmas

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen: Claudio Roditi

I'll Be Home for Christmas: Johnny Coles, Frank Wess

The Christmas Song: Kenny Barron, Rufus Reid

We Three Kings: Charlie Rouse

Santa Claus Is Coming to Town: Richard Wyands

Santa Baby: Maria Muldaur, Frank Wess

Jingle Bells: Walter Davis, Jr.

Winter Wonderland: Carl Fontana, Al Cohn

White Christmas: Barry Harris, Rufus Reid

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas: Jack Sheldon, Barry Harris

Silent Night: Sahib Shihab

The Christmas Waltz: Tommy Flanagan

xmascover.jpgthetree.jpg

• 10 months later...

Although most of America enters the Christmas season the day after Thanksgiving, I prefer to hold off two days until the Grey Cup game is played. That closes out the fall season for me, and then I go into Christmas mode full throttle.

But this year the Grey Cup game will be played the Sunday before Thanksgiving (this coming Sunday) instead of the Sunday after, so I guess I'll be like everyone else and get into the spirit the day after Thanksgiving.

I'm excited since, now that I have a record player again, I'm gonna be able to listen to mom's old Christmas LPs again, the ones I grew up with. These were LPs put out by Columbia Special Products that mom got for free at Goodyear (maybe not free, but cheap nonetheless). Some of the songs that were on those LPs I've bought on CD now (a bunch of Andy Williams songs, f'rinstance); but it just seems to sound nicer when placed in the context of the old LPs, complete with pops, scratches, & surface noise.

Some of the highlights for me:

Andy Williams "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," "Let it Snow," "Do You Hear What I Hear," and "Sleigh Ride"

Johnny Mathis "Silver Bells" and "Marshmallow World"

Percy Faith "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "Little Drummer Boy," and "Christmas Is"

Johnny Smith "Moonlight in Vermont" (actually credited to Stan Getz on the LP)

Yank Lawson/Bob Haggart "The Christmas Song"

The New Christy Minstrels "Here We Come a-Caroling," "Silent Night" (one of the few songs that moves me to tears), and "We Need a Little Christmas"

Jerry Vale "Home for the Holidays"

Steve Lawrence "Let Me Be the First to Wish You Merry Christmas"

Cleveland Orchestra, George Szell conductor "Patapan"

And that's just off the top of my head! :)

Edited by Big Al

I should add that one of our local radio stations went 100% Christmas music on Nov. 1!

I can imagine there are people who don't mind listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving, but surely they will be sick of it by the time Christmas Day arrives.

Believe it or not, I actually feel sad once some of these stations go back to playing regular music.