Complete Clifford Brown on Emarcy & Complete Paul Desmond on RCA V

spinlps

Those are very good prices-appear to be $8 per cd.

If the box/booklets are in good shape and the cds are clean, then I'd recommend both.

You can't go wrong with either-especially the Brownie....

Go for it! :g

If you decide to pass on either one, I'm sure other Board members would be interested at those prices,

myself included :tup

Let us know!

I have the Brownie and it's a beaut.

There's quite a bit of alternate takes and two discs have a loose, enjoyable (if hardly essential) jam session with Dinah Washington, but so much of what's there is so top-notch that it's hard to gripe; all the stuff with Max Roach, the albums with Sarah Vaughan and Helen Merrill and Brownie's with-strings date- all superb.

These two box sets have been on my wish list for months. I've been looking at them for Ebay for a while, so here's what I can tell you about the prices:

Clifford Brown--$80 is a good price, probably around the lowest I've seen a complete box in good shape go for on Ebay.

Paul Desmond--$40 is a great price. The cheapest I've seen a complete box in good shape go for in the last few months is around $60.

In short, given the quality of these sets and the prices, get to that record store right away.

Will do! Let's hope they're still there when I get back. I saw the Brown box in Atlanta last night going for $100 which got me wondering about the set back in St. Louis. Guess I'll find out tomorrow...

These two box sets have been on my wish list for months. I've been looking at them for Ebay for a while, so here's what I can tell you about the prices:

Clifford Brown--$80 is a good price, probably around the lowest I've seen a complete box in good shape go for on Ebay.

Paul Desmond--$40 is a great price. The cheapest I've seen a complete box in good shape go for in the last few months is around $60.

In short, given the quality of these sets and the prices, get to that record store right away.

Good luck! I've been reading Doug Ramsey's Desmond bio and am about to pull out my RCA box for another listen... wonderful stuff. I need to seek out the Warner Bros. album that Desmond did as well. (Which I think was a part of the Mosaic box.)

I don't have the Brown box simply because I have all of the mini-LPs that came out a few years ago and have that material pretty much covered.

The Brownie set in particular is a good snag, as it collects a good bit of material that is not easy to acquire otherwise (e.g., the jam material with Joe Maini).

The Desmond set features some of the best mastering I've ever heard. The music itself is uniformly superb. I think the entire contents of this set are now available in [multiple] single CD issues, in case you choose to acquire the material that way. Whatever the case, these are classic / essential / whatever recordings.

As for the Desmond WB session -- FIRST PLACE AGAIN -- it is indeed sublime. Easiest way to track it down might be by looking for the recent reissue on the Gambit label. However, I fear Gambit may be another European chop-shop outfit.

CD Universe link

You might also look for the I believe legit Discovery label reissue. Same material, available under the title EAST OF THE SUN.

Edited by Joe

The Brownie set in particular is a good snag, as it collects a good bit of material that is not easy to acquire otherwise (e.g., the jam material with Joe Maini).

The Desmond set features some of the best mastering I've ever heard. The music itself is uniformly superb. I think the entire contents of this set are now available in [multiple] single CD issues, in case you choose to acquire the material that way. Whatever the case, these are classic / essential / whatever recordings.

As for the Desmond WB session -- FIRST PLACE AGAIN -- it is indeed sublime. Easiest way to track it down might be by looking for the recent reissue on the Gambit label. However, I fear Gambit may be another European chop-shop outfit.

CD Universe link

You might also look for the I believe legit Discovery label reissue. Same material, available under the title EAST OF THE SUN.

The Warner Bros. album was also reissued in Japan in 1989 as First Place Again, Warner Bros. WPCR-506. I got it from Tower.com last year, but they don't have that particular disc anymore.

Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger when you spot things, particularly boxed sets at reasonable prices, or titles on small labels that may end up being out of print before you can blink.

I've got both the Brown set and the earlier Mosaic version of the Desmond material, both sets are essential.

The Brown Box was gone as well, although they said they had another set coming in next week at the same price. I didn't understand how they could schedule that sort of thing, but had them reserve it for me. Asked them to hold the Desmond if / when they do find it as well.

Live and learn... maybe I'll play the Mosaic Brown box to ease the pain. :P

The thing to remember is that they'll come around again. Or were you able to buy the Brownie box? - I'm unclear about that. Anyway, the next time you see the Desmond you'll know what to do.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I honestly didn't think this was ever going to happen. BUT, I got caught in "W" traffic at the airport waiting on the tarmac for AF1 to land & prep and on the drive home waiting for W to catch his plane. Anyway, I ended up taking a detour to Vintage Vinyl and there it was, the Desmond / Hall box,... and now it's mine. Just finished the first three discs and it's definitely worth every penny.

The thing to remember is that they'll come around again. Or were you able to buy the Brownie box? - I'm unclear about that. Anyway, the next time you see the Desmond you'll know what to do.

Edited by spinlps

• 2 weeks later...