Mosaic Select price change

EKE BBB

Just received this in an email from Mosaic:

When we embarked on this series a couple of years ago, we had expected to distribute the sets at retail. While we do have some limited retail distribution, the state of the retail market has changed our assumptions. Without the ability to spread the costs over a wider distribution and to keep this series alive, we must raise our prices.

The new Selects to be released in January, Gerry Mulligan (MS-021) and Sidney Bechet (MS-022) are priced at $44 for each 3 CD set. The first 20 releases are still priced at $39 but will be raised to $44 on July 1, 2006. This is a financial decision that we did not make lightly. We think this is still a great value with generally 4 or 5 albums contained in the 3 CD set and while the music is priceless, personal budgets are limited and we do take this step only after much consideration.

Beginning with the Gerry Mulligan Select, the Select boxes will incorporate the B&W photo on a silver background which we believe will make for a more elegant look. Also, to trim some costs without affecting the production value, we are eliminating the preprinted set # although they will continue to be Limited Edition sets of 5000 each.

still a great value for the buck.... In particular... some of my fave Select sets that I don't think would have ever come out... Bob Brookmeyer, Bud Shank, Pacific Jazz Trios, and Carmell Jones...

I just hope they put off another increase in the main sets for a while....

At least they're not as bad as the US Postal Service... :angry::angry: another increase next week...

Beginning with the Gerry Mulligan Select, the Select boxes will incorporate the B&W photo on a silver background which we believe will make for a more elegant look. Also, to trim some costs without affecting the production value, we are eliminating the preprinted set # although they will continue to be Limited Edition sets of 5000 each

Hope these will look better than the current boxes. I have never liked the pastel colored boxes - probably the only thing that Mosaic has done that I did not like as a matter of fact.

So they are eliminating the preprinted set #.... Does that mean the sets will not be numbered at all, or will the number be hand written as they are with the full sets?

I've got them all so far. I order them as soon as they are announced. If they start to screw around too much with a good thing I may have to re-think my plan. :unsure:

yeah I've always wondered why they kept the old prices... Guess that's another reason for those of you on the Mobley fence to get off... (That and the fact that it is likely to be one of the next to go OOP)....

At $44 per set, that's $14.67 (pretty close to $15)/CD.

Aren't the regular Mosaic CDs $18/CD?

$17/CD!

Some are $17/CD, but some are still at $16/CD (i.e. the Mobley set)

Pick up a couple now and take advantage of the JazzTimes offer. I know it's not a very good rag, but hell, $5 for a year's subscription... might as well.

I would agree with David. I ordered three Selects with some Christmas cash yesterday and will probably order some overdue sets in January when that deal with Jazztimes takes effect.

m~

I'll go ahead and get the Bechet fairly soon as I'm really in the mood for it and grab the Tolliver too (and pick up the $5 Jazztimes subscription.)

It's easier to say the Selects I have rather than don't: Moncur, Jones, Reece, Pullen & Pepper. I like 'em all very much.

Some of the ones that have gotten heavy consideration are Green, Weston, and Amy. Chambers & Brookmeyer somewhat...heck, nearly all of them I've thought about getting. Heh, maybe I should let Malcom be the tiebreaker. :lol:

I have a fair amount of Dexter and though I wouldn't mind the Select figure money might be better spent picking up a few more Steeplechase & OJC titles that I don't have instead.

Oh yeah, and then there's the Hill...

However, there are other big boxes I'm very interested in, possibly more so. So maybe I'll step up my Mosaic purchases by ordering a box set & add a Select a few times before July rolls around. And if I miss a few, I'm sure the titles will still be worth it after the increase.