for those who missed out the cheap Universal Mosaics

tjobbe

Stopped into 2001 when I was in Cologne/Koln last week. Nice store, but much smaller than i expected. They were out of stock on the Dexter Gordon box and didn't know what i was talking about when i inquired about the big Mingus box. But I did pick up the Debut Story box, several other box sets (a cheap-as-shit Boogie Woogie box, Little Richard, Savoy, etc.), a handful of OJCs, and (most importantly for me) several Mangelsdorf/United Jazz-Rock discs that I've never seen before in the States. I would have bought more OJCs, but I'm still awaiting a second 30-disc order from Concord.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I just went crazy with another huge zweitausendeins order....thanks alot guys, my credit card company loves you! :(

Hopefully this order arrives quickly, and....well, just arrives. :P

**snipped list**

Well this order arrived today! The box was a little worse for wear, but the most interesting thing was that someone had scratched out my address, and hand-written over it was an address in Philly (to a Mr. "Ron S" or something).

Luckily, my friendly neighborhood postal worker caught the mistake and made the correct delivery. It looks like that bottle of champagne I gave him for the 4th of July paid off this year! :P

OK, I just went crazy with another huge zweitausendeins order....thanks alot guys, my credit card company loves you! :(

Hopefully this order arrives quickly, and....well, just arrives. :P

**snipped list**

Well this order arrived today! The box was a little worse for wear, but the most interesting thing was that someone had scratched out my address, and hand-written over it was an address in Philly (to a Mr. "Ron S" or something).

Luckily, my friendly neighborhood postal worker caught the mistake and made the correct delivery. It looks like that bottle of champagne I gave him for the 4th of July paid off this year! :P

Meanwhile, my July 25th order is still in transit. :(

Or . . . is it really in CORPUS CHRISTI??? :angry:

not that there are any new 2001 offers available but if there would be any.... you can now get an "english" Order Pad/form allowing you to understand what you're doing (although I have doubts that we know what we are doing there...some comments from my wife indicate that)

Cheers, Tjobbe

not that there are any new 2001 offers available but if there would be any.... you can now get an "english" Order Pad/form allowing you to understand what you're doing (although I have doubts that we know what we are doing there...some comments from my wife indicate that)

Cheers, Tjobbe

Thanks for the advisory. That'll make it easier for us limeys when Mosaics batch 2 eventually appear (he says hopefully :) ).

Thanks for the advisory. That'll make it easier for us limeys when Mosaics batch 2 eventually appear (he says hopefully :) ).

I also hope they show up, but a couple of months from now would be a lot better, as I have really had to cut back on music purchases. I came quite close to putting in an order, but I'm glad I waited as my finances are all out of whack this summer.

My Monk 3 disc Prestige box has no booklet. Is that one that you've done by chance, John? or Ubu? anyone? Ferris?

HA! Literally at the same time you were typing this post, Erik, I was typing a PM to John asking him the same thing!

My Monk Prestige box finally arrived--along with the rest of my Zweitausendeins order--this past Saturday. :tup Definitely takes a bit of the sting out of the endless wait for word from Concord.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at the 2001, the prices are great. For shipping to USA, does that add a lot to the cost?

IIRC, shipping to the US is 22 Euros for any order up to 2.5 kilograms (about 5.5 pounds), and 32 Euros for any order over 2.5 kilos. At the current exchange rate, that works out to about $28 for up to 5.5 pounds, and about $40.75 for over 5.5 pounds.

EDIT: It really only makes economic sense to order from them when they're carrying box sets at terrific prices (e.g., I recently got the Mingus Debut box from them for 30 Euros, or about $38, along with some smaller box sets).

Edited by Ron S

I ordered the Mingus set two months ago but I never received it. I emailed them and they said they were sending another one. I never received that one either! Obviously, the set is now sold out and they have just offered me a refund. Judging by this thread, it seems to me that quite a lot of their parcels get lost.....

Although, they are quick at answering emails and efficient when it comes to refund their customers, I am not very impressed with the quality of the service. :(

Edited by ASNL77

It may not be 2001's service that's the problem, but rather the shipping companies/postal services. As you point out, their customer service is always very responsive.

You are right but I have never experienced any problems with DHL before although I have used them a lot of times. What surprised me when I first emailed them to report the 'non delivery' was that the set was sold out according to their website. Yet, their answer was: 'We will send you another one shortly'. :mellow:

It is the first time things go wrongwith them ( I previously ordered two other sets and received them fine) but two parcels lost ..... :wacko:

I haven't had any problems with stuff arriving yet (touch wood) but the packaging can be a bit on the flimsy side (thin cardboard box - one size fits all). Sometimes CDs have arrived with breakage of jewel case. The big boxes have always arrived OK though.

I am not sure that having the name 'zweitausendeins' written in big letters across the box is the best way to ship. I wouldn't be surprised if these parcels have been stolen in a warehouse before reaching me. A more discreet packaging would surely help to cut down the number of 'lost' parcels.

Edited by ASNL77

It may not be 2001's service that's the problem, but rather the shipping companies/postal services. As you point out, their customer service is always very responsive.

I tend to agree with Ron. I had a bad experience with them earlier this year, but part of it was a case of poor timing (2001 warehouse relocation), and the rest (I believe) was a shipping company failure. Initially I ordered about 5 box sets, only one of which was ultimately shipped, and that got lost in transit, and had to be re-sent. Ultimately because of their "good" customer service I ended up with a Dexter Gordon Prestige box completely free, as a result of the problems. Initially they refunded the shipping cost, then the cost of the box itself.

Since 2001 doesn't deal with "normal" in print items, but limited batches of merchandise (at GREAT prices), when things do get lost in shipment, I think generally their only recourse is to give you a refund, as they likely won't have any replacement items. It doesn't ease the frustration when you don't get something you order, but at least they try to make amends.

I have ordered from them since with no problem whatsoever, and will again.

Agreed Erik. It is just frustrating. Especially when it happens twice. But apart from this bad experience, I have always been very pleased with them and I do recommend them. By the way, if somebody has a spare set of the Mingus..... PM me! :P

Edited by ASNL77