Terry Gibbs Autobiography

I purchased the book at full price and it was worth it. It is basically "the real deal" Terry Gibbs and you can almost picture him talking a mile a minute while reading the book! Like many legendary jazz musicians, he's had a colorful life and isn't shy about sharing. Wonderful "road" stories.

Marla

Edited by makpjazz57

One of the best interviews to be found in Cadence magazine ever was the one they did with Terry Gibbs.

So I purchased 'Good Vibes' when it came out.

It's a very interesting read. Terry Gibbs is a natural raconteur who has been around when the jazz scene was more than lively. It reads as fast as he plays the vibes. Fascinating!

Edited by brownie

...great photos of Terry and musician/friends around his pool and piano in the book "Jazz Life".....just your regualr pool party with Wynton Kelly, Horace Silver, Paul Chambers, Mel Lewis, Buddy Clark, Sonny Stitt and others. Some of them look like they had never seen a pool. Great shot of Paul Chambers playing bass with a dress shirt on and one of those "short, short" swim suits of the day ....

m!

Gibbs was a guest at Blue Lake a few years ago: he was the guest artist with the Blue Lake Monster and it was a good concert: "Opus One," "What's New" and one of those Lionel Hampton-like two finger piano sprees on "Flyin' Home."

The night before the concert he came by the radio station and went on the air from 10 p.m. to about 11:30 or so, just playing records and talking about his book (which was just coming out). After he left I went kinda nuts and played all this Terry Gibbs music, all this Woody Herman sideman stuff, just riffed around the theme of Terry Gibbs, played music by his son, that great band Terry had with Buddy DeFranco, the quintet things with Benny Goodman, some of his earliest music as a leader on Prestige. His solo on "Early Autumn" is still one of his greatest recorded efforts.

At the concert the next night he said to the crowd he was a bit tired because he stayed up listening the radio in his hotel room until 3 a.m. He turned to the wings and said, "Everytime I'm falling asleep, Lazaro would play something I hadn't heard in years. He kept playing me, so who can sleep?" Then he fluffed it off saying something about his body clock being on West Coast time. Best review of a radio program one could hope to hear.

• 8 months later...

I remember talking to Terry one night at Bourbon Street, a Toronto jazz club. What a character! He cracked me up with stories of his bandmates in Woody's Second Herd. Apparently Shorty Rogers, who spoke very slowly, would tell Terry what he'd like to say to his mother, then get Terry to make the long distance call for him. With his machine-gun way of speaking it would take Terry about a tenth of the time it would have taken Shorty to pass on the message.

• 9 months later...