Jazz Test Pressings

I was just given a small stack of records in mint condition that have the following label.

RTI Record Technology Inc. Test Pressing. The matrix numbers are as follows:

MR3-121, MR4-113, MR5-114, MR5-116, MR5-117.

From a quick google seach they seem to be jazz and from listening to them that sounds right. Could anyone shed some light on what a "test pressing" is and if these have any value. The sound quality is amazing and I was wondering if I should enjoy them or preserve them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Michael

I was just given a small stack of records in mint condition that have the following label.

RTI Record Technology Inc. Test Pressing. The matrix numbers are as follows:

MR3-121, MR4-113, MR5-114, MR5-116, MR5-117.

From a quick google seach they seem to be jazz and from listening to them that sounds right. Could anyone shed some light on what a "test pressing" is and if these have any value. The sound quality is amazing and I was wondering if I should enjoy them or preserve them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Michael

A test pressing is usually an advance pressing made before the official release of a record. Sometimes they were sent to reviewers or to the writer of the liner notes, or perhaps to those involved in the production. Test pressings of famous records like Beatles albums for example can be very desireable. Or if a test pressing differs in some way from the final album, it can be of value.

These seem to be Mosaic catalog numbers. If so they are:

121 - Ike Quebec

113 - Chet Baker

114 - Art Hodes

116 - Bud Powell

117 - Buddy DeFranco

These are single discs from multi-album boxed sets. The number after MR indicates how many discs were in the complete set. I don't imagine that by themselves they have any great value, but Mosaic has a rabid following among jazz fans, and these being early titles which are now out of print, it's possible that somebody somewhere might part with a few bucks to obtain them.

Aren't test pressings usually done up on lesser vinyl that doesn't hold up as well? I always think of them as something to check that the plates are correct, and thus the sound on first play, rather than any longevity.

Wrong Cliffie. :P Test pressings were done on the regular vinyl used for production. The original reason was to send copies to the label and/or producer to compare the quality of the metalwork and see if this was a good representation of the approved mastering. Historically 3 or 4 copies were supplied but as the years progressed more were pressed to provide advance copies to the most important media folks.

Devoting a single press to "lesser quality" vinyl for tests would be economically silly for the plant.

I would add that test pressings, and usually white label promo too, are better sounding because they come from the very early matrix. In my experience WLP are better then stock copies, expecially in case of rock records pressed in hundred of thousand copies.

This is often the case, but not always. I have a white label test pressing of a Ray Draper album (w/Coltrane) on Jubilee records. Although the vinyl looks unplayed, the record sounds really lousy. But I guess this was not really a quality label...

I said 'usually' ;)

I was aware of that. It was not my intention to deny your view, only wanted to express there can be exceptions on the rule. :)

No problem :)

On the other hand 'test' can mean exactly 'test', you test something in order to achieve the best result, so a test pressing could be not the definitive pressing, though I never meet such case.

I have a mispressed WLP of Dylan's Before The Flood double lp where one side is pressed on both records and side four is missing :crazy:

I've got a test pressing of Jimmy Forrest's "Out of the Forrrest", pressed by Abbey Record mfg. It says:

"OK for level...

Content...

Quality...

Signed copy of test necessary before production begins"

But mine ain't signed. It's a beautiful pressing though; as heavy, I should guess, as a 180g audiophile LP. The downside is, you have to look at the matrix number to know which side you're going to be playing.

MG

• 3 years later...

I've got a few test pressings from the Doug Dobell '77' label which came up in the racks at Mole Jazz.

I believe it was JohnS who said that he had a Blue Note Test Pressing of Andrew Hill 'Smokestack' (hopefully my memory is correct on that one).

Yes, I have a test pressing of Smokstack. I posted a photo in another topic.

I had several others over the years, all UK issues. These were given to me journalist and broadcaster I was good friends with at the time. Some were two single sided pressings. Most have been disposed of by now.

Edited by JohnS

The audiophile store Acoustic Sounds (which also runs it's own label, Analogue Productions), which does not hesitate to squeeze the maximum amount of $$$ out of their crazy customers, usually sells test pressings for twice the price of the regular pressing.

So there seems to be a demand for those pressings, despite the reduced packaging (plain white cover).

Maybe people think they sound better, or they just want them because they are rare.

Test pressing: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_det...?Title_ID=42580

Regular pressing: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_det...?Title_ID=41719

Edited by Claude

actually, I think Cliff was thinking of the old test acetates, which had a tendency to deteriorate -

I never heard of a "test" acetate. What were they testing?

And what is a "WLP" Riverside?

This post has been edited by Elizabeth Schwartzkopf: Today, 10:47 AM

Edited by Christiern

Test pressings were done on the regular vinyl used for production. The original reason was to send copies to the label and/or producer to compare the quality of the metalwork and see if this was a good representation of the approved mastering. Historically 3 or 4 copies were supplied but as the years progressed more were pressed to provide advance copies to the most important media folks.

Devoting a single press to "lesser quality" vinyl for tests would be economically silly for the plant.

Were test pressings of 78s on shellac done for the same reason? So that if a collector had a test pressing on 78, he could assume it is one of only ~3 or 4 copies?

"I never heard of a "test" acetate. What were they testing?"

well, maybe I'm confusing things - but I seem to recall that some labels would make one-offs for musicians to listen to or to be circulated for airplay - and that they would be made on acetate material which tended to deteriorated as soon as it was played - as a matter of fact, I do know that the acetate-transferring expert is what's-his-name (can't remember names anymore, damn) who lives in Maryland but is pretty much retired now but did a lot of great jazz transfer work - what the hell's his name? well, whatever it is, he does (did) all this complicated prep to play and transfer the things -

I'll try to remember his name, but it's really a household name among jazz people - I think he did the Duke/Fargo things -

YIKES! somebody help me -

Edited by AllenLowe