Jack Montrose R.I.P.

garthsj

I regret to inform the group that the great west coast tenor player, and also most notable as an arranger, Jack Montrose has passed away. His death was announced yesterday. Montrose was one of my early jazz heroes, and his fine albums on Atlantic and Pacific Jazz were cornerstones of my collection in the mid-fifties. He was a regular at the annual jazz weekend events put on by Ken Poston in Los Angeles, and was always a most affable man to talk to. He will be sadly missed and fondly remembered, as his music lives on.

I am playing the album he arranged for Clifford Brown as I write this ... great, timeless music!

RIP. I read an interesting interview with him about ten years ago in Cadence Magazine, that those who are fans might want to pick up (back copies of Cadence are available).

In addition to the Clifford Brown PJ, he arranged at about the same time a Chet Baker PJ album known today as Chet Baker Ensemble. They sound very much alike, so if you like one you might like the other. Available from BMG/Your Music.