Norma Winstone

ghost of miles

'Somewhere Called Home' is the one I like best; 'Well Kept Secret' is good complement as it shows a different side to her.

I love the Azimuths and her contributions to Kenny Wheeler's 'Music for Large and Small Ensembles.'

I think she's a 'try before you buy'. She's my favourite jazz vocalist, but I know some people find she sets their teeth on edge.

I've seen her many times, always captivating. She did the big Jazz Britannia Concert last year; also played a marvellous concert with Bobby Wellins and the Stan Tracey Trio at Appleby plus sang part on an e.e. cummings suite written by Alan Barnes. I believe there's a recording of the Wellins/Tracey group due in the future.

There have been several rumours of discs floating around over recent years. I think she recorded one with large scale backing for Provocateur but that label is having financial problems. There was also an ECM with Ralph Towner slated at one time.

I'm looking forward to seeing her at the Bath Jazz weekend in May.

Her website has a new disc recorded in 2002 in Italy mentioned - I've not seen sight of it. It's the band who are playing at Bath:

Norma Winstone: Chamber Music

1.Chamber Music 4:02

2. Panis Angelicus 4:28

3. Mirror, Mirror 5:50

4. Remember 4:22

5. Giocando 5:07

6. Fanfare 5:33

7. San Diego Serenade 3:.32

8. Until Tomorrow 5:19

9. Unborn 5:04

10. Trolls Party 4:51

11. Snowflakes 4:14

Norma Winstone

Voice

Glauco Venier

Piano

Klaus Gesing

Sop. Sax & Bs Clt

• 4 years later...

Hoping to catch a performance by Norma with the above lineup at a local venue (Bradford on Avon) in about a month's time. :tup

I was also hoping that she's be in the lineup for Kenny Wheeler's 80th Birthday big band concert at Turner Sims, coming up around the same time. Sadly doesn't look as if she's in that one. Added bonus though - maybe they'll play some of 'Windmill Tilter' to celebrate its reissue? :)

Hoping to catch a performance by Norma with the above lineup at a local venue (Bradford on Avon) in about a month's time. :tup

Well worth seeing - they played in Sheffield a couple of years back - lovely concert. The sax player had left his music at the previous venue so had to do play everything from memory - you'd not have noticed! I saw her last autumn in Nikki Iles' 'Printmakers' band with the likes of Mike Walker and Stan Sulzmann. Would like to hear that band on record.

The Wheeler tour is coming to Leeds - it's on a Sunday so I might just get there!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Yep, I've heard that Norma Winstone group with Gesing and Venier live before. I think it was at Bath about 5 years ago.

Last appearance I saw of Norma Winstone was as part of a Michael Garrick Sextet at the Ian Carr Tribute along with Art Themen, Henry Lowther, Dave Green and Trevor Tompkins. Great to actually get to see that lineup ('Troppo' vintage).

I think that the Wheeler 80th will be a must-see. I was mightily impressed with the 75th (in which they flew Dave Holland in for the concerts). Norma was in the front line for that one - along with Lee Konitz !

Edited by sidewinder

Yep, I've heard that Norma Winstone group with Gesing and Venier live before. I think it was at Bath about 5 years ago.

I think that the Wheeler 80th will be a must-see. I was mightily impressed with the 75th (in which they flew Dave Holland in for the concerts). Norma was in the front line for that one - along with Lee Konitz !

I was at the Manchester concert for the 75th - I recall us discussing it; I was really put off by Konitz who sounded sour to my ears (and can still recall grimacing in the opening bars). I love Konitz's 50s recordings but have often found his more recent music difficult to take. I note Evan Parker is in the band again - always love it when he takes off into his own orbit in his one or two spolight moments.

Yes, that fabulous saxophone lineup of Evan Parker, Duncan Lamont, Ray Warleigh and Julian Arguelles - where else can you witness that? One of the highlights of the 75th concert was hearing their combined sound (I recall at least one cracking solo by Parker that night). Ian Hamer was also in the trumpets that night - now sadly no longer with us. Good to see that Derek Watkins and Henry Lowther are again in the lineup.

I caught the Turner Sims show for the 75th and Konitz took a little while to get going - both he and Wheeler were featured in duet on 'How Deep Is The Ocean' which they both seem to enjoy. I think I've got an FM recording of the RFH performance somewhere - must dig it out.

Edited by sidewinder

Haven't hear a whole lot of Winstone, but I really like her 2006 two-CD set of standards, with Stan Tracey and Bobby Wellins: "Amoroso ... Only More So."

A beautiful record. You might enjoy the record she made with Jimmy Rowles not long before his death; again mainly standards. It's called 'Well Kept Secret' and I believe has just been reissued:

http://www.amazon.com/Well-Kept-Secret-Norma-Winstone/dp/B000005YPM

Includes her version of 'The Peacocks' to which she added the lyrics as 'A Timeless Place' - seems to have been picked up quite widely by singers.

Haven't hear a whole lot of Winstone, but I really like her 2006 two-CD set of standards, with Stan Tracey and Bobby Wellins: "Amoroso ... Only More So."

A beautiful record. You might enjoy the record she made with Jimmy Rowles not long before his death; again mainly standards. It's called 'Well Kept Secret' and I believe has just been reissued:

http://www.amazon.com/Well-Kept-Secret-Norma-Winstone/dp/B000005YPM

Includes her version of 'The Peacocks' to which she added the lyrics as 'A Timeless Place' - seems to have been picked up quite widely by singers.

thanks for the heads up--i've been a norma fan ever since azimuth's touchstone recording 37 years ago. sadly, her hubby taylor and kenny never again equalled on vinyl the utter magic of that recording, although they are all of the utmost craftmanship and musicianship.

at miss winstone's best, she is transcendental.

I suspect a problem many have with Norma is that she has so many different sides, if you only hear one record its easy to decide she's not for you.

If you listen to her recorded output up to the 90s there's little evidence of her standards side - most of what she recorded was original music in bands by Garrick, Westbrook and in Azimuth. This could often be wordless soundmaking that I know doesn't appeal to all.

There's a glacial side to her music - in Azimuth and in the recent trio - that lies a million miles from 'hot', 'bluesy' jazz; and I wonder if her very English pronunciation might be a barrier to some (it's a big plus for me - I hate it when English vocalists drawl the lyrics...I prefer them to change the words a bit if the American language is too idiomatic rather than affect a mid-Atlantic sound).

Her 80s ECM solo album, 'Somewhere Called Home', is in many ways a typical ECM album - yet I find it one of the most perfect vocal albums I know.

She's also recorded with various European groups on small labels - try putting her name in iTunes and you'll come across albums (and performers) you never knew existed.

Of (relatively) recent releases I'd strongly recommend the two Maritime Jazz Orchestra albums with Taylor and Wheeler; the Towns album where she takes on some surprising contemporary songs and pulls them off; and the aforementioned 'Amoroso...' with Stan and Bobby.

I suspect a problem many have with Norma is that she has so many different sides, if you only hear one record its easy to decide she's not for you.

If you listen to her recorded output up to the 90s there's little evidence of her standards side - most of what she recorded was original music in bands by Garrick, Westbrook and in Azimuth. This could often be wordless soundmaking that I know doesn't appeal to all.

There's a glacial side to her music - in Azimuth and in the recent trio - that lies a million miles from 'hot', 'bluesy' jazz; and I wonder if her very English pronunciation might be a barrier to some (it's a big plus for me - I hate it when English vocalists drawl the lyrics...I prefer them to change the words a bit if the American language is too idiomatic rather than affect a mid-Atlantic sound).

Her 80s ECM solo album, 'Somewhere Called Home', is in many ways a typical ECM album - yet I find it one of the most perfect vocal albums I know.

She's also recorded with various European groups on small labels - try putting her name in iTunes and you'll come across albums (and performers) you never knew existed.

Of (relatively) recent releases I'd strongly recommend the two Maritime Jazz Orchestra albums with Taylor and Wheeler; the Towns album where she takes on some surprising contemporary songs and pulls them off; and the aforementioned 'Amoroso...' with Stan and Bobby.

thanks for the enlightening words......

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I enjoy Dance Without Answer as background music, but I find that the songs seem too similar for me to give the album my undivided attention throughout. I enjoy Stories Yet to Tell much more.

One I'll d/l at the weekend.

It's always been quite a low key group.

I wish someone would record Nikki Iles band 'The Printmakers' in which Norma sings. Although a group that would fit comfortably on ECM, people like Mark Lockheart and Mike Walker add a muscularity that suits:

PRINTMAKERS.jpg

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I enjoy Dance Without Answer as background music, but I find that the songs seem too similar for me to give the album my undivided attention throughout. I enjoy Stories Yet to Tell much more.

One I'll d/l at the weekend.

It's always been quite a low key group.

I wish someone would record Nikki Iles band 'The Printmakers' in which Norma sings. Although a group that would fit comfortably on ECM, people like Mark Lockheart and Mike Walker add a muscularity that suits:

PRINTMAKERS.jpg

your wish......I haven't listened to the podcast but the blurb says 'recording'

http://www.londonjazznews.com/2013/04/podcast-interview-with-nikki-iles-band.html

I'm sure I've read somewhere else that the recording's coming out I think on Editions but I can't find a reference anywhere

Edit: to add, found the reference http://www.londonjazznews.com/2013/12/printmakers-cd-for-autumn-2014-release.html

looks like Basho Records are making your wish come true

Edited by mjazzg