Prestige RVGs

montg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, came back from Houston on Sunday and Quiet Kenny and The Hawk Relaxes were waiting there for me.

Wow. They sound good.

Wow. They sure are trying to capture the look and feel of the Blue Note series. Not a bad thing.

I'll wait to see if yourmusic.com gets any of the others. . . maybe. . . or I'll order a few more soon.

hmmm...

From Shawn's review, I'm wondering if we're talking treble boost and compression here... :mellow:<_<

Sounds like it...

Hopefully it won't be too much...

I have a feeling Hans will not like these...(sorry bud.) :(

Dont worry, I wasn't interested anyway :)

I'm not "upgrading" anymore.

I'm listening to "Quiet Kenny" right now. I don't have any other version to compare it to. It doesn't sound too bright at all, unlike many Blue Note RVG reissues. Most OJC CDs I have sound brighter.

However I have the impression that it is slightly maximised, as the bass has that fat boomy sound that often indicates compression. The stereo base is also more reduced than on most OJC CDs.

I'm listening to "Quiet Kenny" right now. I don't have any other version to compare it to. It doesn't sound too bright at all, unlike many Blue Note RVG reissues. Most OJC CDs I have sound brighter.

However I have the impression that it is slightly maximised, as the bass has that fat boomy sound that often indicates compression. The stereo base is also more reduced than on most OJC CDs.

My guess is that they are using a digital limiter to maximize the volume of the CD. But that's pretty much standard practice these days.

I hate it when they do that, and it's one of the reasons I'm not "upgrading" anymore.

I'm not thrilled with the Burrell/Coltrane disc's sound - big boomy bass and some fuzzy bits at the piano and guitar peaks. The bass feels jacked ex post facto but the other less-than-pristine-ness has to do with the original tapes, from my experience. I've heard better from the period (mid to late 50s), but I've heard far worse as well.

I don't think I'm going to check out any more of these Prestige RVGs, unless it's an album I don't have already. I'm quite happy with the earlier K2 remasters of things like Saxophone Colossus, etc.

I'm not thrilled with the Burrell/Coltrane disc's sound - big boomy bass and some fuzzy bits at the piano and guitar peaks. The bass feels jacked ex post facto but the other less-than-pristine-ness has to do with the original tapes, from my experience. I've heard better from the period (mid to late 50s), but I've heard far worse as well.

I don't think I'm going to check out any more of these Prestige RVGs, unless it's an album I don't have already. I'm quite happy with the earlier K2 remasters of things like Saxophone Colossus, etc.

The boomy bass on the Burrell/Coltrane is characteristic of the K2 also. I was hoping RVG could improve it some.

The boomy bass on the Burrell/Coltrane is characteristic of the K2 also. I was hoping RVG could improve it some.

Fortunately with this title you can also try the SACD, XRCD or the original OJC release ;)

the latter in 16 and 20 bit edition! And then there is the Coltrane Prestige box version.

Anyone get the Lush Life cd by Coltrane from this series?

I notice that on the first few seconds of the opening track (Like Someone In Love) there are some pops or clicks.

Do I have a defective one or is this just that the RVG is more revealing?

I got a second copy and the defect is still there.

Nevertheless on balance I like the RVG over the 20bit K2 remasterings.

I listened to both "The Hawk Relaxes" and "Quiet Kenny" again today with my pal Dave over my second system (the B&O system in the living room) and we both had a good time listening to the nice sound!

I'm hoping they turn Mr. Van Gelder loose on the Prestige Monk material.

Edited by jazzbo