Prestige RVGs

montg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember what the back of the cardboard covers for the early RVG's looked like? That's basically what they look like. Blue Note font lettering at the top, little black box in the center talking about the series, etc.

Sorry, I don't have a scanner or I'd post it.

...I have to ask: how unberable is the cello?

It was years since I listened to this album. Unfortunately, from what I can remember the cello is unbearable.

There was a thread about this on the BNBB, but I could always say it again: When Ron Carter is playing the cello I can hardly understand anything of what he's doing.

Ron Carter's cello playing is indescribable, and not in a positive way...

At least it's not as jarring as on the Waldron sextet date. Carter is relegated to coloration duties most of the time; Dolphy is squarely in charge, and the cello backgrounds are no more upsetting than on your typical AACMish date. For heaven's sakes, it's got Roy Haynes on it.

With all respect to Rudy, I feel that his quote on the back cover is a bit pretentious:

"I remember the sessions well, I remember how the musicians wanted to sound, and I remember their reactions to the playbacks. Today, I feel strongly that I am their messenger"

Imagine this on the Jackie McLean "Fickle sonance" RVG (his remaster with the "AM sound").

Here's a scan of the Kenny Dorham RVG back cover:

It's a dead rip off of the BN style! Really shows how much care Concord are going to take of the Fantasy heritage, doesn't it?

MG

Yes, but I can see the value of two ongoing series by RVG with a similar style. There is a certain type of collector who will relish the near conformity. And the association of the RVG look between two labels is not really likely to hurt either label sales, it may help them both.

I agree with Lon on this one. I see nothing wrong with using a similar visual design for the two series, I mean honestly, these reissues push "RVG" as the brand (that's where the marketing focus is). The labels are a secondary factor.

I couldn't agree more.

You've gotta try very hard to find fault with these new RVG's, but some people are going to find something they can complain about one way or another.

I agree with Lon on this one. I see nothing wrong with using a similar visual design for the two series, I mean honestly, these reissues push "RVG" as the brand (that's where the marketing focus is). The labels are a secondary factor.

I couldn't agree more.

You've gotta try very hard to find fault with these new RVG's, but some people are going to find something they can complain about one way or another.

Sorry to be so mean. Prestige really HAD something for me, though. I've always been more into PR than BN.

MG

I couldn't agree more.

for one, they smell like onions

I couldn't agree more.

Yep, some people can't stop crying...

I couldn't agree more.

Yep, some people can't stop crying...

Blair

MG

I'm comparing the RVG and OJC "Saxophone Colossus." On "St. Thomas," at the start, Max's drums sound a fair bit "broader" on the RVG; likewise with the center of Sonny's tone. On the OJC, the comparative lack of "broadness" in the mid-range seems to correspond to a kind of "airy" (or if you prefer "fizzy") top i.e. Sonny sounds like he's in a rather high-ceilinged room on the OJC and in a room with a significantly lower ceiling on the RVG. Too low? I'm not sure yet, but I am pretty sure that I could live with either one. The closest to an original issue Rollins/Prestige LP I still have is "Sonny Boy." Not sure of its vintage (maybe 1960?), but the music was recorded in 1956 by RVG and then remastered by him for this LP issue. Put on "The House I Live In" and would say that it sounds better than either the RVG or OJC "Saxophone Colossus" -- just perfect. Of course, now we're also probably talking about the differences between my turntable/cartridge combo and my CD player.