New Miles Box?

BFS

Miles Davis Quintet featuring John Coltrane - The Legendary Quintet Sessions, 1956 - 3 CDs (Prestige) May 23

— the 1955-56 recordings with John Coltrane, Red Garland, Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones

— originally released as "The New Miles Davis Quintet," "Cookin'," "Relaxin'," "Workin'," and "Steamin'"

— sequenced in order recorded; 32 tracks; 24-bit remastered

Any information on this set slated for May?

— originally released as "The New Miles Davis Quintet," "Cookin'," "Relaxin'," "Workin'," and "Steamin'"

— sequenced in order recorded; 32 tracks; 24-bit remastered

Any information on this set slated for May?

Don't mean to sound like a wiseacre, but I think that pretty much says it all. The _____in' albums in session order.

I'll likely get it as I have just the regular OJCs. Though I hope they include album artwork in whatever the booklet may be. If packaging or booklet info is what you're asking about, sorry, I don't know.

I've long thought this group of recordings needed a good remastering/lavish box treatment, but without 'Round Midnight - which was culled from the same set of sessions but offered to Columbia as Miles's first recording for that label - the story of this quintet will be incomplete.

I've long thought this group of recordings needed a good remastering/lavish box treatment, but without 'Round Midnight - which was culled from the same set of sessions but offered to Columbia as Miles's first recording for that label - the story of this quintet will be incomplete.

I think the Prestige 'Round Midnight is a different recording and was originally released with most of the December '24 '55 session with Monk. I presume that it will be included in this box set. (It would be cetainly be incomplete otherwise.)

I think the Prestige 'Round Midnight is a different recording and was originally released with most of the December '24 '55 session with Monk. I presume that it will be included in this box set. (It would be cetainly be incomplete otherwise.)

Sorry, I mis-spoke - the Columbia 'Round ABOUT Midnight was recorded at different sessions (Oct. 1955 and June 1956) than Cookin', Relaxin', etc. (May 1956 and October 1956). I suppose the intent of the box is to tell the story of the May and October 1956 sessions, but it's a shame that the 'Round About Midnight sessions can't be included. One of them took place between the May and October 1956 sessions, after all...

But that was on a different label!?!?

I really don't understand this...this is a collection of his Prestige recordings!!! Why should there be anything from his Columbia sessions?

Perhaps you're painting with much too broad a brush...to think that this set should COMPLETELY document this quintet...?

gdogus is just trying to say that Round About Midnight is essentially a 'part' of these recordings. Not that it SHOULD be in the box, but that it is without a doubt an important part of the collection and IDEALLY would be included, although OBVIOUSLY it cant be.

A general lamentation that I agree with completely.

Sorry, I mis-spoke - the Columbia 'Round ABOUT Midnight was recorded at different sessions (Oct. 1955 and June 1956) than Cookin', Relaxin', etc. (May 1956 and October 1956). I suppose the intent of the box is to tell the story of the May and October 1956 sessions, but it's a shame that the 'Round About Midnight sessions can't be included. One of them took place between the May and October 1956 sessions, after all...

Well you could always buy the new box and the new Columbia remaster then download the sessionography from Mike Fitzgerald and burn your own copy. Voila! The complete sessions remastered. :tup

Big distinction between the two Prestige quintet sessions & the Columbias in terms of "intent". The Prestige sessions were "contractual obligations", ones where the band showed up & blew through a few sets worth of material. The Columbias were more "carefully" planned affairs.

gdogus is just trying to say that Round About Midnight is essentially a 'part' of these recordings. Not that it SHOULD be in the box, but that it is without a doubt an important part of the collection and IDEALLY would be included, although OBVIOUSLY it cant be.

A general lamentation that I agree with completely.

Right, thanks - that's what I was tying to express. Just a sense that it would be nice to have all of the quintet material together.

You know Jim, I've always preferred the Prestige sessions to the early Columbia stuff...I like the fact that the band basically went into the studio and played their set. There is a "happy accident" quality since they are just winging it. Did it always work? Not totally, as I've often felt that some of the uptempo numbers are just a little too sloppy. This group TRULY worked fucking magic on ballads and mid-tempo pieces though!

One thing that is underrated is Red Garland's influence on this quintet...if it hadn't been for him and his little book of "changes", I don't think Miles would have had some of these songs that this group performed.

Edited by Shawn

You know Jim, I've always preferred the Prestige sessions to the early Columbia stuff...I like the fact that the band basically went into the studio and played their set. There is a "happy accident" quality since they are just winging it. Did it always work? Not totally, as I've often felt that some of the uptempo numbers are just a little too sloppy. This group TRULY worked fucking magic on ballads and mid-tempo pieces though!

I hear ya'. And it's on the uptempo stuff that the different nature/intent/procedure/whatever of the Columbia sessions shows. That shit is tight there!

One thing that is underrated is Red Garland's influence on this quintet...if it hadn't been for him and his little book of "changes", I don't think Miles would have had some of these songs that this group performed.

Yeah, I forget who the singer was (Jeri Southern?), but Red heard a side of hers and brought the tunes to Miles. Or so the story goes.

Hell, Red set the template for the "different backings for each soloist" thing that would really distinguish Miles' bands for the rest of his life. What the Second Quintet got into in this regard is a direct offshoot of the First Quintet.

FWIW:

As I've posted before somewhere, Stuart Kremsky, the producer of the new set, has told me that all the studio chatter that was on the original records, but was eliminated from the Chronicle box set, is back in. I love it! :)

FWIW:

As I've posted before somewhere, Stuart Kremsky, the producer of the new set, has told me that all the studio chatter that was on the original records, but was eliminated from the Chronicle box set, is back in. I love it! :)

Can you ask him to work the magic and have it released as a mini-lp box? :excited: We're all tired of big clunky jewel box sets that cause the shelves to further bow. :rolleyes:

JPF,

Glad to hear Stuart Kremsky is still with Fantasy/Concord. I was a bit worried. He was looking into something for me, but it had been a long time...

How does one contact Stuart now?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

I'll PM you.

It now seems as if it will be a four CD set (or should that count as a three CD set with one bonus disc?):

http://concordmusicgroup.com/artists/album/?id=4328

Only two (live) tracks - curiously listed as tracks #5 and #6 - are given for the fourth disc; Tune Up and Walkin', which I presume are from this December 8, 1956 broadcast:

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=561208

The blob on Concord's site does not mention the live tracks, but rather tries to give some insight regarding the "vertiginous flights" of Coltrane and Garland’s "sunny solos".

Edited by Daniel A