Smooth Jazz Can Help Cure Cancer

Lance Koonah (smooth jazz artist) is donating a good portion of the proceeds of his new cd to the National Foundation for Cancer Research. I purchased a few of Lance's recordings because like him, I recently had a family member affected by cancer. Lance's music is also very appealing and has this relaxing yet inspiring mood to it. You can see and hear for yourself at this site.

Aanders

http://cdbaby.com/cd/koonah3

Wrong forum, but anyway. I once had a lift from a taxi driver who told me how much he loved playing the saxophone. Self taught and just did it at home. He came to it because he heard a Kenny G record. His niece heard him and was inspired to take up Jazz at college.

So I guess I'd give the poster the benefit of the doubt.

Simon Weil

Edited by Simon Weil

A new executive staff member of our agency sought me out because he heard I was into jazz and wanted to talk to me about it. First he let me know that he played alto, tenor and baritone sax, had since band in high school, but kept his hands in at it.

THEN he let me know that he liked Kenny G and some others. . .the most "jazzworthy" of which was Kirk Whalum.

I smiled my way through it all. Told him of the thousands of recordings I had and my interest in jazz from nine or ten decades, and he was . . . surprised I think. Wants to talk more. . . .

It's a worthy cause. Cancer SUCKS. You can quote me.

Edited by jazzbo

From Lance's site:

It's finally here! "The Things That Make Us Happy" is available online at CDBaby.

It's Lance's third independent release and it contains many soothing melodies

that you will enjoy. The recording was an ambitious project and another thank you

goes to David Starck for putting so much hard work into the album. It wouldn't have

been possible without him.

Lance is currently sponsoring a benefit for a charitable cause and he could use your

help. Recently one of his relatives was diagnosed with cancer. But fortunately it was

detected early enough and after one operation he is on his way to making a full

recovery. Lance has decided to donate one third of the profits from "The Things

That Make Us Happy" to the National Foundation for Cancer Research. The goal is

to be able to hand them a $40,000 check by June 1st, 2006. It's an ambitious mark

but with your support it can definitely be achieved. Let family and friends know about

this campaign and thank you in advance for your support!

(I think the post title just turned some of us off!)

From Lance's site:

It's finally here! "The Things That Make Us Happy" is available online at CDBaby.

that you will enjoy. The recording was an ambitious project and another thank you

goes to David Starck for putting so much hard work into the album. It wouldn't have

Lance is currently sponsoring a benefit for a charitable cause and he could use your

help. Recently one of his relatives was diagnosed with cancer. But fortunately it was

to be able to hand them a $40,000 check by June 1st, 2006. It's an ambitious mark

but with your support it can definitely be achieved. Let family and friends know about

Am I reading this right? He hopes to donate $40K (1/3 of his profits) from this one cd that's not on a major label (I assume)? Is $120K a normal profit for a recording like this?

From Lance's site:

Am I reading this right? He hopes to donate $40K (1/3 of his profits) from this one cd that's not on a major label (I assume)? Is $120K a normal profit for a recording like this?

I doubt it.

At $13.00 a pop they would have to sell in excess of 9000 copies to generate $120K and that is before expenses.

Has anyone ever heard of this guy?

Don't get me wrong I think it's a fine cause and I wish him the best of luck.

I'm curious though, is the goal 1/3 of the profits or $40K?

It sounds more like a pipe dream than spam. But who among us really knows the healing power of smooth jazz? :D

I would think that smooth jazz would be relaxing, like those waterfall cassettes some people play to lull themselves to sleep. You wouldn't listen to a waterfall for stimulation. Same thing for smooth jazz. They don't want people too excited in a crowded elevator either. So, that's it's value to really sick people. :w

But, if money can be raised for cancer research with this project and it's legitimate, I say good for him.

Edited by patricia

I may buy one just to support the cause... I'll just give the CD away at work. I work with several smooth Jazz fans and I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Cancer isn't a laughing matter in my book, and I like to laugh.

Kevin

The only caveat I'd throw out, is there is no way to show that the money is actually going to go toward charity. I prefer to go through established and reputable agencies.

The whole thing just seems fishy.

I hope I am wrong.

g

My apologies to the Organissimo forum. I didn't realize the serious nature in which you view music. I myself am a music lover of all types and don't show any prejudice toward any other musicians who are passionate about what they do, especially if I like what I hear. So once again, I am sorry.

Sincerely,

Aanders

P.S. I also wondered about the validity of the charity part so I e-mailed Lance directly and he was very nice and said there was no way to prove it. But he was going to try and get an official document for the donation and possibly a mention in the NFCR's newsletter.

I may buy one just to support the cause... I'll just give the CD away at work. I work with several smooth Jazz fans and I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Cancer isn't a laughing matter in my book, and I like to laugh.

Kevin

I've had cancer, and I laugh about it plenty.

Best thing to do.

I also used to listen to a lot of smooth jazz.

Today I laugh about most of that as well.

My apologies to the Organissimo forum. I didn't realize the serious nature in which you view music. I myself am a music lover of all types and don't show any prejudice toward any other musicians who are passionate about what they do, especially if I like what I hear. So once again, I am sorry.

Sincerely,

Aanders

No need to apologize, Aanders! Donating for cancer is a worthy cause! Just make sure it really goes to the people who try to find a cure to it!

Some of us (me included) sometime behave like dogs. But we don't bite! Just bark!

So welcome here!

And yes, we take the music seriously! But not fusion jazz :excited: