Upcoming Verve and BN Releases

Eric

I am disgusted with the Verve list. They (Universal Music) are sitting on so many gems, and we are offered such rubbish as a CD with the title "Louis Armstrong For Lovers" already. How about some Argos???

The BN list, which we already knew about, of course, is loaded with goodies.

In case you missed it, Universal did release a nice version of "Equinox", by Sergio Mendes. The playing time is short, but it's a very nice set, with great sound. I like several of those mini LP CDs that they put out last year: "Willow, Weep For Me", "Soul Bird, Whiffenpoof", "The Jazztet at Birdhouse" and the aforementioned Sergio. Has anyone heard the Willie Bobo? I really enjoyed his BN with Herbie Hancock, and would like to hear more.

I have the Bobo and it's not too bad, but I think I was expecting something a bit different. There are some good straight-ahead songs like "Psychedelic Blues," but the songs that I think of when I think of this album are the latin-tinged elevator music songs with Willie on vocals. :rolleyes: I'll give it the rolleyes because that's what my wife does every time I listen to this album. :g It's not a bad album, and the sound is very good, which is one of the things I've enjoyed most about the Verve LP repro series. I'm glad that we're not spending a lot of time discussing how much we hate the remastering on the Verve reissues here. From my experience, the remastering has been very consistent with all of these (the only complaints I've heard are in regard to Dizzy Gillespie's "Afro").

While Verve has put out some nice reissues recently, I agree with Shrdlu that they're sitting on a ton of great material, and I do wish they'd either reissue more of it or license it to Mosaic. :rmad:

You have to hope someone at Universal/Verve realizes that in 7 years all their 50s recordings will be in the public domain in Europe.

I'm happy they've picked up the pace of reissues a bit from a few years ago, but at this rate a lot of great stuff will still be in the vaults when the Definitives/Classics/etc. start taking up the market.

I hope they start licencing more (and not just to Mosaic) before that happens. It's better for them because they get paid, it's better for us because we might get better mastering.

What's that I see with the Conn releases in October??? One Night w/ Blue Note Preserved???? :o:o

Is this a reissue of the CDs or is this the fabled DVD release that was talked about several times on the BNBB????

Anybody know? :excited::excited::excited:

Who was on the date "One night with BN perserved?"

I nerve saw the old BNBB thread before.

Who was on the date "One night with BN perserved?"

I nerve saw the old BNBB thread before.

Go here http://www.jazzdisco.org/bn1977-dis/c/ and go down to 1985.

You will have a full list of what was issued from 'One Night With Blue Note Preserved'

plus the full list of what was on the 'One Night with Blue Note' albums.

Edited by brownie

I'm looking forward to the Al Grey and Sweets Edison from the Verve list. Overall, though, it looks pretty grim. I guess there wasn't any worthwhile jazz created before 1945 as the Deccas and Keynotes continue to rot in their slimy vaults. :rmad:

On the bright side, at least Roy Eldridge is coming out in November. :tup

I am disgusted with the Verve list. They (Universal Music) are sitting on so many gems, and we are offered such rubbish as a CD with the title "Louis Armstrong For Lovers" already. How about some Argos???

I finally broke down and ordered the Japanese import of Barry Harris' BREAKIN' IT UP from Mr. Tanno. I may do the same with some other Argo titles if Universal doesn't appear to be more forthcoming in the next year or so.

GoM, you probably do not want to know this, but Red Trumpet had the Barry Harris Argo for like $15 in their recent sale. :o

Yup, that Verve list ain't that much to get excited about although in all honesty, the reissues from about a month ago weren't bad: Sonny Stitt, Billy Mitchell, Nat Adderley. They do put out a lot of junk though. As we've said before, thank god for Japan.