BFT #35 Discussion

Bright Moments

Without question, track 1 of the BFT is track 1 from this appropriately named album!!! And the groovy thing is, when you click this link, this song will start playing, so you know I'm right! :D

Haven't listened any further yet, but wanted to get this one in there. Funny thing is, I bought this cuz Ben Webster was on it, and it was SO much better than I was even hoping for! Don't miss this one!

OK, here goes:

1) Nondescript big band playing a late ‘50s-early ‘60s chart. West coast alto, but then unmistakably it’s Big Ben for a very nice tenor solo.

2) Violinist is evocative of Stephane Grappelli until he does one wild descending run at the close of his solo that I don’t normally associate with SG’s playing. But this does remind me of a Grappelli-Diz Disley collaboration. Otherwise, no guesses, e.g., flute, etc.

3) Sounds like Rahsaan on manzello. Is he doubling on tenor also? Can’t tell ‘cause nothing much is being done on the more prevalent reed instrument. Of course the tune has been usually been done as a torch vocal by Ivy Anderson, Lena Horne, etc.

4) This standard is done in a ponderously trite manner that I associate with Oscar Peterson. Definitely not a piano style I can appreciate.

5) Ah, more like it. “Runnin’” as per my first somewhat mysterious reference in this thread. Frank is very identifiable and of course, the trumpet player blazed before departing at a ridiculously young age.

6) I have no idea who is doing this recital of the Billie Holiday protest piece.

7) Ah Evan. I won’t ID this one because it appears to be a gimme. To others reading here, we doubled with the wives and checked this guy out in a fabulous concert earlier this year. Great virtuoso vibes player.

8) Can’t even begin here. Too nebulous and undistinguished for me.

9) Rocking tenor reminds me of Arnett Cobb. Wouldn’t bet on it though because tenor-organ combos are not by bag. Big Al?

10) No guesses here. Not my thing.

11) This has got to be from the “Bird” film soundtrack wherein they overdubbed lots of extraneous applause over a Bird flight on “Lester Leaps In” probably taken from the Rockland Ballroom tape. Bird is fantastic, can do without all that noise however.

12) Surprised you used this track as another cut from this album was played two BFTs ago. Anyway, recognized the two Mingus expatriots on this Soul Note issue immediately. Good rollicking piece.

13) Used to hear him say “Bright Moments” many times at the Village Vanguard back in the early and mid ‘70s. Tremendous performer that was a treat to witness live especially when he put the three horns in his mouth.

Thanks Evan. Nice going.

Some thoughts about your great compilation:

1. It sounds to me like Stan Kenton's Orchestra in the 1950s.

2. The violion player might be Svend Asmussen.

3. The title of the tune is Stormy Weather.

4. The bass player sound familiar, although I'm not sure if it's Ray Brown or Niels H. O. Pederson

6. Strange Fruit. A very special release.

7. It sound like the Modern Jazz Quartet. I don't like this kind of mainstream.

11. It sounds like a Jazz At The Philharmonic jamsession.

13. This track only gives me 4 seconds and the title of the compilation < Bright Moment > and then it stops. We have to think about the voice? It could be Roland Kirk, although I never heard his voice. I heard it before - it sounds like Eubie Blake, but that's a guess.

Thanks for the cover art !!

1: Big brass sting... and that's surely Art Pepper on the alto. Not the kind of big band arrangement I like really. Maybe this is one of those Contemporary dates with Ben Webster visiting on the west coast? Solos are fine, but far too little of them & too much of the hard brass hits.

2: Sounds like Stuff Smith on violin but what's he doing in this context?? Curiosity value if nothing else.

3: "Stormy Weather". It's one of those weird instruments Roland Kirk played, but sounds too straight for Kirk -- George Braith? I don't know Braith's music at all. No idea who the tenor is. Hm, there is a weird moment at 3 minutes with something of Kirk's multiple-horn stuff but it's very brief & I'm still pretty sure this isn't Kirk. Truthfully even though this is only 4 & 1/2 minutes long I found it overstayed its welcome by quite a bit.

4: "Exactly Like You" by a piano trio, & the pianist sounds terribly familiar but can't place it.... It's OK, not getting me too excited though.

5: I was all primed from the first notes to say this was Jackie McLean but, no, it isn't. I was a little disappointed that after the discombobulating opener this turned into a straight uptempo bop number, but that's fine too. Nice trumpet! Hm, maybe a Max Roach side?

6: Ouch, that's loud.... OK, now it's adjusted. Effectively blunt version of this tune, no idea who it is.

7: I kept expecting a band to kick in. I know that I'll earn the opprobrium of the vibes fans here, but I found this a bit like listening to a music box.....

8: I forget the name of the tune but it's an AEOC tune, & yeah it sounds like Bowie on the trumpet (my favourite solo of the bunch).

9: This one's fun stuff, which make me bump the volume back up after #6. Jaws? It's one of those players on Very Saxy, so either him or Arnett Cobb (not Tate, not Hawkins).... Keeps the frenzy going for quite some time....! Yeah!

10: Nice vibe; not sure I have anything much to say, & no idea who it is, but it's a nice 15 minutes.

11: Ugh, what IS this? Is this one of those weird things from the soundtrack of Bird? Sounds like a Charlie Parker solo with modern rhythm section & a horribly loud dubbed-in crowd. Something smells fishy here, anyway. It does have that play-along-with-the-record feel as the saxophonist takes chorus after chorus...

12: Hm, Billy Harper? Phew, that's some trombone solo--Knepper?

13: RRK.

Edited by Nate Dorward

BFT # 35

1. I can’t pick out just what band this is, although stylistically they are in the Basie camp.

Very impressed with the trumpet section! The tenor sounds an awful lot like Ben Webster. Why is his solo so short? A pleasant kickoff to this BFT.

2. This violinist sounds familiar, but I can’t come up with a name. The flautist has a nice spot. His sound (a little thin) reminds me of Herbie Mann. I like the drumming – is that timbales I hear? The tune is somewhat of a trifle, but not unpleasant.

3. “Stormy Weather”. All I can think of here is Roland Kirk – both saxes sound like him. Might this be from his first album, originally on King? If this is Roland, then this would have to have been overdubbed, as I don’t think Roland ever achieved this kind of separation of ideas when playing the two horns simultaneously, as great and unique as he was. Soulful playing all around. The little punctuation at 3:03 kind of clinches it for me.

4. Oh man, this is so familiar. A tune that has been recorded by many – “Exactly Like You”. The bass sounds like Ray Brown, might the pianist be Gene Harris? The pianist has a nice touch, but his ideas (to these ears) are not too fresh. A perfunctory performance, at best.

5. Frank Strozier & Booker Little! From Frank’s first Vee Jay album. What’s the title – “Runnin’”? Frank & Booker sound great, very inspired. Is that Jimmy Cobb on drums. The whole thing seems slightly under rehearsed, but no matter!

6. This is the famous Billie Holiday classic “Strange Fruit”, written by one Lewis Allen (?). Frankly, I think Billie’s rendition is more effective than this version, which does very little for me.

7. “Chega De Saudade”, one of my favorite Brazilian tunes (written, I think, by Luis Bonfa?). A virtuoso performance by Gary Burton, from his “Alone at Montreux” album on Atlantic. Burton doesn’t always knock me out, but he’s really on the money here. Five stars.

8. This starts out with a nice groove, but none of the soloists really get off the ground. A wild guess – Bobby Bryant on trumpet? I wanted to like this, but the soloists let me down.

9. Here we have a nice Illinois Jacquet kind of thing – fast and cooking. This could be Illinois, but I’d expect him not to resort to so many cliches so soon into his solo. I imagine if I were half in the bag in some bar that I might dig this, but frankly, it’s all just a little too familiar, and they never rise above it.

10. The original version of “Soul Serenade” by King Curtis is an all time favorite of mine – very sweet and soulful. This rendition, however, goes on way too long. Nobody’s got enough in the idea department to sustain interest for the fifteen minutes that this track runs. I’m gonna guess Maceo Parker on alto.

11. The alto on this version of “Lester Leaps In” sounds like Bird, but the sound is weird. The crowd noises are in stereo, and the rhythm section is much more clearly recorded than Bird is. Might this be from the “Bird” soundtrack, on which they took some old low-fi live tracks and dubbed on a new rhythm section?

12. Well, this starts out as a nice hard bop track, but I really don’t think much of the tenor player, who, instead of trying to develop some ideas, resorts to squawking. Now don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a good squawk as much as the next guy, but I’d like to have heard more substance. Might the tenor be George Adams? The pianist has a nice solo, but the trombonist isn’t having a very good day. Also, I’m not a big fan of the everybody-solos-on-every-track concept, generally bored by bass and drum solos if they are too plentiful.

13. Bright moments indeed, thank you Rahsaan.

And thank you, for an enjoyable set, even if I did get a little cranky. :huh:

Bright Moments - thanks for that - very enjoyable!

Some guesses...

1) Nate - 'sting' gets it just right! My first instinct was Basie. I don't think it is, but I'd bet there are Basie players in the band (Snooky Young? Wendell Culley?) Ben Webster for sure. Arranger sounds to me like it could be Oliver Nelson? West coast altoist - my first thought was Paul Desmond (just listening to Southern Scene from Brubeck at Carnegie Hall, and the tone was very similar), but I'm not so hot at picking these players, so I'd not wager on it. A nice lead off!

2) Crazy. No real idea. First reaction was Stephane Grapelli, but again, I'd only rarely pick him in a line-up! Nice rhythm section. Really grooves. Solos I'm less keen on, but it's a novelty, this one.

3) Stormy Weather is the tune. Is it Rahsaan on stritch? Phrasing very RRK-like. It could be overdubbed, I suppose (my initial thought was the date with Tubby Hayes and James Moody, but I don't hear enough horns, and Tubbs isn't there on vibes!). Nice track, but only the stritch (or is it manzello? I get mixed up!) keeps me interested towards the end.

4) Exactly Like You is the tune. Instinct at first said Oscar Peterson, although I'm now not so sure. It's certainly from that stable. The ornamentation isn't exactly OP, the technique doesn't really come out to play if it is him. The LH voicing is very OP, but I wonder if this isn't Gene Harris or someone like that? Sounds like Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen, but again, something tells me maybe not. Nice, if cliched.

5) Very familiar, but I can't place it for the life of me. Could that be Max Roach (just listening to the cymbal work under the opening solo)? Nice alto playing - sounds generic, but there are wonderful moments where something really distinctive comes through. Is it Hubbard on trumpet?

6) Strange Fruit. Voice is familiar, but not sure. Not Baraka - could it be Shepp? Nice, eerie background work from the vibes and percussion.

7) Chops galore. In general I don't enjoy this. If it were a piano, I'd despise it (if that makes sense). However, there are windows here and there which sound almost West African, and are wonderful. Sadly, these are framed by a slightly cheesy workout on the bastard child of 'When you Wish Upon a Star'. I don't know - Gary Burton?

8) Ooh no. Tenor player is entirely undistinguished IMHO. Trumpet player is by far the most interesting of the bunch, but this isn't the context for him. I really don't know who these guys are. Nice tune, actually, but not done like this.

9) This is slightly mad. Sounds like the 'Very Saxy' band meets JATP. It's got that showboating thing going on for sure. It swings like crazy on the whole. Tenor sounds a lot like Jaws from time to time, but I don't know that it's him. Arnett Cobb? Don't know him well enough to say. Strange track though - quite enjoyable!

10) We're verging into smooth territory here...horribly produced sound. Bags of reverb added to a very saccharine alto sound. This said, it sounds quite familiar. I certainly don't have this, but it's reminding me of something I can't quite pin down just yet!

11) This is Bird blowing over Lester Leaps In. From the 'Bird' soundtrack, I think. This is a stunning, stunning solo. I taped the film when it was on on TV a few years back, and completely freaked out about this solo. Incredible.

...which said, shame about the rhythm section. I mean, it's a slightly bizarre idea to rerecord the material (I'm sure there were good reasons...). They play OK (drums very fine indeed), I guess, but there are some very unidiomatic moments, especially from the pianist (is it Monty Alexander?)

But Bird here...this is one of those solos you play someone who doesn't understand why musicians and music lovers RAVE about Bird. Genius. In the proper, restrictive (not the effusive fan's) sense of the word.

12) Not for me. Not a nice bass sound. Uninspiring tune. Very average. Tenor player threatens to get into some interesting areas though!

13) Rahsaan. From the phone conversation at the end of 'The Case of the Three Sided Dream in Technicolor', perhaps?

A nice test - thank you. I'm really curious (as ever) about the answers, and to read people's responses!

Thanks very much for this well-programmed, entertaining disc! Here are my comments on second listen - the usual disclaimers apply.

Track 1: Great opener! If there were vibes, I'd say the Terry Gibbs band, but no doorbells around. That tenor soloist sounding like a latter day Ben Webster throws me off track - big bands is not my forte. I enjoyed this this alot and would like to hear more.

Track 2: Some very modern, extremely well done Cuban or Cuban-derived band. It's a shame I don't know this one - I will certainly buy this! Anybody commenting this doesn't swing better never crosses my way. a ***** track, for sure. Great soloists all around, timbales player knows ho w to pace himself - Changuito? Some licks sound like him. One of my favourites on the disc.

Track 3: The soprano sounds very very much like Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Even some double horn a little later into the track. No idea who the other horn, the tenor, is - or did he overdub? I have almost everything Rahsaan recorded, but no time to check it out right now .... ( I type this after midnight and in the morning we're off to our Easter vacation. Just one day after I'm back and then it's off to a four day gig tour in the Netherlands, I'll be lucky if I can take a look at the others' guesses in between ....) Anyway, I like this, and wouldn't be surprised if it's in the Mercury box.

Track 4: The bassist sounds a lot like Ray Brown. I'd say it's his trio, but the pianist is not Geoffrey Keezer, whom I liked best with Ray ..... Benny Green? Or an older guy? Brown's trios were always excellent, swung and showcased good arrangements. Jeff Hamilton at the drums?

Track 5: A tune from the Eric Dolphy / Booker Little quintet at the Five Spot. Is this from the memorial album by Donald Harrison and Terence Blanchard? Not as advanced as the original, but a good job throughout. I considered buying this for so many years .....

Track 6: Doorbells of all shapes and sizes ..... that's Strange Fruit, but I have mixed feelings about the slightly tongue-in-cheek undertones of this. Original, but not as serious as the subject of the lyric suggests. Wonder who this is. That voice sounds familiar, but I'm not sure. Hmm ....

Track 7: Gary Burton doing a Jobim tune - Chega de Saudade - with fourteen mallets. That's dazzling virtuosity, but the pace and feeling have no connection whatsoever with the subject of the lyrics and original tune. He plays it only for the attractive changes and to show off. This disgusted me when I first heard it and it still does. He almost trips over his own mallets, so fast does he play, all the rests are timed too short. I have to admit I never liked Burton. This sounds like a musical clock running wild.

Track 8: What a change of pace! Reminds me of some of the groovy tunes Hugh Masekela used to play with Larry Willis. Nice tune. Good soloists. A tune and groove to nod your head to or shake your booty by - what more can you want? I'd skip a dozen Burton albums for one full of tunes like this.

One more for the wish list - I like the relaxed way they do this, many groups hit too hard when they try to get funky, but not them. Very well done. Who is this?

Track 9: Oh my - it was hot in the club that night. That's what you expect and organ combo to do. Gene Ammons? Nice, but doesn't move as the previous track.

Track 10: I bet my non-existant hat that this is Hank Crawford. Soulful job! Drummer hits a little hard. Pianist is one of the Ramsey Lewis - Gene Harris school. Yeah! Perhaps a litle too long. But live it would have been appropriate to play it that way. Yes, way too long ....

Track 11: That's a track from the "Bird" movie soundtrack. Bird accompanied by a newly recorded studio trio - IIRC Ray Brown and John Guerin were in it. Well .... I remember reading the musicians found it thrilling to "play for Bird", but I don't know what to think of this ..... I'd have preferred the whole band from the old recording. But he sounds somehow more modern this way.

Track 12: Typical 1970's hard bop stuff. This doesn't move me a bit as much as the nice groove on track 8 ..... probably some well known players. A little too fast for my taste.

Track 13: Yeah, there were some Bright Moments on this disc! Thanks again!

A little late to the party (misplaced mail - thanks kids! - and the week from hell), but the usual thanks and disclaimers are still firmly in place.

TRACK ONE - Maybe it's all the Monday Michiru I've been listening to lately, but a cut like this is almost enough to make me wish that men should not be allowed to make music for public consumption w/o first receiving a permit from a certified board of really hip women.

I mean, really, it's a slight (to be kind) melody in the first place, and everybody gangbangs it like it's some hot juicy trollop. Why? What's the point?

Poor Ben.

TRACK TWO - Ah, charanga! Love charanga! Bassist, pianist, and violinist kinda sound like ringers, especially the bassist, whos attacks/sustains his notes more like a jazz player, but it might be somebody like Andy Gonzalez or John Benitez, more "Americanized" players who are truly multi-culturally musically literate. No matter, the playing is fine. Like I said, I really dig the whole charanga bag, especially when it's more jam-oriented like this cut. The "society" style gets tired pretty quick, but this ain't that, and all is well.

TRACK THREE - MULTIPLE CHOICE (25 Points)

A. Sounds familiar, but I can't place the players.

B. Are the sax players twins?

C. Oh, little town of Bethlehem?

D. With the benefit of hindsight, could anything be more ironic?

Beautiful cut, man. Beautiful.

TRACK FOUR - Exactly Like Who? Oscar, Red? Wynton (the good one)? Pretty sure that's Ray Brown with somebody. Pianist is derivitive, but is right where he/she wants to be, it sounds like, so hey. And Ray, well, this IS the Ray Brown bag, so extra hey! Sounds like everybody was doing pretty much exactly what they wanted to do, so supersize hey!!! That drummer's kinda corny on his fours, though, and otherwise generic to the point of being unfortunate. But hey.

TRACK FIVE - Nice. Very nice. Bassist scuffles w/the tempo here and there, but not enough to notice. I really dig the altoist's lines, how he mostly stays away from licks and develops melodic ideas. At this tempo, that's a bitch. I should know this cat. Sonny Red? Not Ernie Henry, although both of those guys share someaht similar unique tones and phraseologies that are deeply rooted in Bird but still go off into something deeply personal. Everybody sounds familiar, but I can't really pinpoint anybody, much to my chagrin. But this is some happenin' shit.

TRACK SIX - No idea. Kinda nice, kinda lightweight. Nice concept though.

TRACK SEVEN - "Chega de Saudge" or however you spell it. No More Blues. Burton? And? Or? It's ok.

TRACK EIGHT - Sounds like some neo-CaptiolCannonball, but not nearly as hot in temperature, although I hear the potential. Would like to hear this group live, in front of an into-it audience. Tenorist sounds like Harold Land if Harold was strokified like latter-day Floyd the Barber. Is that Michael Ray on trumpet? Incredible chops, he has, and an uninhibited spirit to go with it. NASTY splice just before the bass solo. Bassist is into it, though, big time. sounds great. Good players all, and probably not the best representation of what they could all do.

TRACK NINE - Sure sounds like Jacquet. If it's not Jacquet, I'd go with Red Prysock or Rusty Bryant. Don't think it's Arnett. Sure sounds fine. Sure sounds live. In every way. Gotta love it. You can tell the guys that do this "honking" thing who can really play from the guys who are limited just by their tone. Hell, you can pretty much tell everyting by tone. But this guy can really, really play. Yeah, it's obvious here, but I bet he mighta made some records where it was less obvious. Sounds like Illinois' voice at the end.

Yeah. Illinois Jacquet and his bad self getting over and not minding one bit. Much love.

TRACK TEN - Being late to the party, I'm assuming that this tune's mis-titling on the album has already been noted. Didn't know this cut or album before, but a little AMG research pulled it up.

You know, it's a great, great tune, really is, and totally underplayed even today, but after two classic, concise versions (the orinal by King Curtis and a remake by Willie Mitchell in the late 60s(, the bar's been set awfully high for what you need to do to put this tune over. I dig the way he played the head, but the solo just wasn't paced in enough of a "story-telling" manner to reach me. the sentences were all there, but they were kinda out of order and didn't necessarily have full overall coherence. But that's just me. And I don't dig the drummer on this. Sounds like a very fine player, but he also sounds like he's not taking the tune/groove seriously, treating it like a generic "soul" tune and not a specific story to be told. Same holds true for the rest of the group, although the pianist(!) gets a lot of slack form me just because he is who he is. But overall, there could have been more drama, more pacing, and less "playing". But again,.that's just me. I'm picky about this kind of thing and this kind of tune. On a last set in a club or at a really casual session, yeah, cool. but on a record? I dunno...

TRACK ELEVEN - Bird & John Guerin. Only in America!

Funny, if you didn't know any better, you'd think that this was some weird remix project w/a varitoned altoist and some musicque concrete looped all through it. Heard like that, it's really a trip!

But Bird, man, Bird was as big of a trip as the world has the potential to offer. Not even Clint Eastwood and/or Lennie Niehaus can change that. Bird was the shit, and still is. Only a handfull have done as much (or even almost as much), and nobody's done more. Different, yes, but Bird...

Bird is the shit. 'Nuff said.

TRACK TWELVE - Well, yeah. If we can get two more people to do the otehr two tracks, this will be the first album completely covered by BFTS. GO FOR IT! :g:g:g

Nothing but unconditional love here for George, Jimmy, & Dannie. Those cats... they lived it. And you can hear the life. You can feel the life. Nothing but life in this shit.

Hell yeah, and Amen to and for George, Jimmy, & Dannie.

TRACK THIRTEEN - Indeed!

Much thanks for a BFT that touched a few nerves, pro and con, along the way. Gotta go read the other responses, because I know somebody's gotten some shit that I'm already kicking myself for not knowing! ;)

What better thing to do in the middle of the night when you can't sleep but put together some incoherent ramblings for the BFT?

1. As I said earlier in the thread, an exceptionally SWINGING track from an exceptionally SWINGING album!!! I'm tellin' ya right now: get before it goes OOP so I don't have to sell you my copy for a ridiculously large sum of $$$$$$$$. Besides, it's got Ben Webster, BOTH Candoli brothers, Frank Rosolino, Herb Geller, Bud Shank, Jimmy Giuffre, etc etc etc etc. How can this NOT swing??????

2. Violin and flute and bongos. Nice!

3. This "Stormy Weather" reminds me of a forecast for rain that never materializes, but gets cloudy and muggy anyway. This just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags.

4. "Exactly Like You." Exactly like who? No clue.

5. I dunno.... sure sounds McLean-ish to me. Charles Tolliver? Puts me in mind of Jackie Mac's It's Time, but it's been so long since I heard that album. I just remember it had a lot of fast tempo songs on it. First time I heard this album, I was going thru a serious Herbie Hancock jones, and recall that he didn't sound anything like anything else I'd heard from him. So, whatdoIknow, anyway?

6. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Sorry, this just flat lost me.

7. Nice vibe solo. No idea who it is though.

8. Sweet groove! Don't know that I can add too much more to it, but for some reason the trumpet puts me in mind of Nick Payton. Wonder if this is from Christian McBride's Family Affair?

9. Ahhhhhh.... some greeeeeeaze! That sounds like Red Holloway on the tenor! Ha! He just played a riff from "Keep That Groove Going!" VERY cool!!!! Wonder if it's the same band from that album? Wonder who the trumpet player is in place of Plas? Oh this is SOOOOOO greeeeeeeeeazy!!!!!! Good Lord, I may never get to sleep tonight!!!! Got my copy of KTGG, that's GOT to be Gene Ludwig!!! The keeper of the flame, he is! DAMN, Red's go cat GONE!!!! WOW whatta track!!!! GREAT choice, Ev!

10. Hoo boy does this go on for a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time...... sorry, short-attention span just kicked in. NEXT!!!!

11. Gotta be Bird. From the BIRD soundtrack. Gotta give the musicians credit: at least they used the actual solo, and not some sound-alike. Probably technically impossible to pull off, but a grand and noble gesture nonetheless. Never saw the movie, don't own the soundtrack, but I did get to hear an advance copy of the reissue that came out a couple of years back, so that memory is all I'm going from.

12. Gotta be Rashaan!!!! How could we have gone this long without a Rashaan track? Nah wait, sounds too recent to be Rashaan. But it's got the same kinda groove as "Fly by Night."

13. From the great live album of the same name and the screen name of our good friend Evan! A most pleasant way to knock off an hour of insomnia!!! Thanks again!

TRACK ONE - Maybe it's all the Monday Michiru I've been listening to lately, but a cut like this is almost enough to make me wish that men should not be allowed to make music for public consumption w/o first receiving a permit from a certified board of really hip women.

I mean, really, it's a slight (to be kind) melody in the first place, and everybody gangbangs it like it's some hot juicy trollop. Why? What's the point?

Poor Ben.

I never thought I would ever see the day where I disagree as much with Messr. Sangrey as I do here! And we also disagree on track 3!!! Must be the heat down here! :g

I never thought I would ever see the day where I disagree as much with Messr. Sangrey as I do here! And we also disagree on track 3!!! Must be the heat down here! :g

Y'know, I disagree with a lot of people on a lot of the tracks on the blindfold tests, but I'm not losin' any sleep over it. We're all entitled to our opinions, whatever they're worth. :cool:

Y'know, I disagree with a lot of people on a lot of the tracks on the blindfold tests, but I'm not losin' any sleep over it. We're all entitled to our opinions, whatever they're worth. :cool:

Word! :cool:

Word! :cool:

True dat! It's just that I usually agree with him on just about everything else that this seemed so outta the ordinary. Plus, I know track 1 is pure cheeeeez whiz: precisely why I love it so! :excited:

Got a copy of BFT35 at last, thanks to Sidewinder. Mostly all at sea though – doubt if I can contribute anything that hasn’t already been guessed more than once at least.

1. and 2. off the beaten track for me so no ideas but enjoyable.

3. is “Stormy Weather” of course but no ideas as to who is playing. Sometimes reminded me of Rahsaan but I don’t listen to him much either, and sounded earlier anyway.

4. is “Exactly Like You” – nice version – pianist sounds familiar but that’s as far as I got.

5. No ideas.

6. Ditto.

7. “Chega de Saudade” or “No More Blues”. Sounds like Gary Burton I think. I liked it a lot.

8. No ideas again.

9. Is it Lockjaw? NMCOT at all, I avoid this kind of playing at all costs unless it’s included in a BFT, in which case I am duty bound to listen all the way. Gets worse towards the end.

10. Reminded me a little of Sonny Criss but I don’t think it’s him.

11. “Lester Leaps In” of course – all I know.

12. I know the tune but what is it? Seemed to say Cedar Walton, Bob Berg, Curtis Fuller, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins but I just can’t think what it is or where it comes from.

One good thing about posting late is that I can look at the answers already given straight away.

A nice change of pace for a BFT, MB, particularly at the beginning. Thanks for a horizon-broadening challenge.