Johnny Griffin NOT ill

The Magnificent Goldberg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fats Sadi? The young Rodney Dangerfield?

I already said the man's first name was Johnny :w

It's obviously Johnny Griffin. Not THE JOhnny Griffin; A Johnny Griffin.

Do I get the prize?

MG

No prize!

OK since help is needed, the man shown on the cover has his own Mosaic set!

• 2 months later...

Johnny Griffin is also a featured player in the Niels Lan Doky film 'Between a Smile and a Tear'.

Have not seen the film but the sountrack has just been released here on the Blue Saphir label.

9.jpg

This was filmed in July 2004 at Copenhagen's Café Montmartre.

Edited by brownie

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Not sure this will be to everyone's liking but the bad video shows Johnny Griffin appearing at a concert in Moscow last February. The singer is Irina Tomayeva :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf9fkbtMByQ...ser&search=

I was at that concert. It was a complete fiasco, one of the worst that I have ever seen. Believe it or not, that was actually one of the better moments. The big band played their own harmonically complex (and usually rather stiff) arrangements of swing standards, and didn't try to accommodate Griffin at all. There was no rehersal. They gave him a whole thick stack of music to read on stage. But Griffin warned them that his eyesight isn't good enough to read, so he will just have to wing it. Ms. Tomayeva was, as you can hear, rather terrible.

The worst moment came at the end. They finally settled into something simple that Griffin could blow on: a slow blues. Every member in the big band took a solo, but then they ended the song before Griffin could even blow a note. :( They just left him standing on the stage like an idiot. I had never seen anything like it before. Very disrespectful.

Edited by John L

• 2 weeks later...