• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember this one?

245394-music-resized200.JPG

Return of the Griffin

Great stuff!

Never heard this one, never even seen it.

But as ever, all the best to Johnny Griffin, one of the few remaining giants of bop. It may be time to spin The Congregation, The Cat, and Close Your Eyes tonight.

Remember this one?

245394-music-resized200.JPG

Return of the Griffin

Great stuff!

one of my very first jazz albums i paid for. maybe it was the first. someone hipped me to Griff and Dex on that famous Carnegie Hall live version of "The Blues Up and Down" ... and i had to hear more.

i loved that album and it was a very fortunate purchase as i caught Griff many times in the following years.

i never heard anyone (who was any good) play tenor faster than Griff until i heard Chris Potter.

looks like Carnegie wasn't the first time Dex and Griff recorded that tune:

http://home.ica.net/~blooms/dexterdisco.htm

74 Johnny Griffin - Dexter Gordon Quintet

Dexter Gordon, Johnny Griffin (ts) Hampton Hawes (p) Jimmy Woode (b) Kenny Clarke (d)

West Germany, January 25, 1968Blues Up and DownJoker [J] UPS 2058, Lotus LOP 14.082* Jazz Undulation / Johnny Griffin, Dexter Gordon (Joker [J] UPS 2058)

* Jazz Undulation / Johnny Griffin, Dexter Gordon (Lotus LOP 14.082)

145 Dexter Gordon Quintet

Dexter Gordon, Johnny Griffin (ts) George Cables (p) Rufus Reid (b) Eddie Gladden (d)

``Carnegie Hall'', NYC, September 23, 1978Intro(CK 65321)Expanded Secret Love(CK 65321)Expanded Intro(CK 65321)Expanded The End Of a Love Affair(CK 65321)Expanded Intro(CK 65321)Expanded More Than You Know(CK 65321)Expanded Intro(CK 65321)Expanded Blues Up and DownColumbia JC 35978/(CK 65321)Expanded Intro(CK 65321)ExpandedCheese CakeColumbia JC 35978/(CK 65321)ExpandedThe two great tenors, Dexter Gordon and Johnny Griffin, battle it out on in exciting fashion on live versions of "Blues up and Down" and "Cake," bop singer Eddie Jefferson and trumpeter Woody Shaw join Gordon and his quartet (pianist George Cables, bassist Rufus Reid and drummer Eddie Gladden) on "Diggin' In" and "It's Only a Paper Moon" and Dexter takes Thelonious Monk's ballad "Ruby My Dear" as his feature. Everything works quite well on this diverse but consistent LP, one of Dexter Gordon's later efforts. — Scott Yanow

which in turn reminds me of one of the greatest jazz studio sessions ever (albeit sans Griff) :

147 Dexter Gordon Sextet

Woody Shaw (tp) Curtis Fuller (tb) Dexter Gordon (ts) George Cables (p) Rufus Reid (b) Eddie Gladden (d) Eddie Jefferson (vo)

NYC, January 26, 1979Diggin' inColumbia JC 35978It's Only a Paper Moon-* Great Encounters (Columbia JC 35978)

Eddie J was the man ! and some sick mf shot him dead in the street ... for no reason. no reason at all. what the f was that all about ????

Edited by baltostar

• 3 months later...