Horace Parlan Mosaic

It's taken two evenings but, this evening, I'm completing my listen-through of the Horace Parlan Mosaic. The box begins with Parlan in a trio. The set builds through the Turrentine brothers and ends with a group made of Parlan, Booker Ervin, Johnny Coles, Grant Green, and Billy Higgins. Parlan doesn't miss a beat through the entire set of tunes.

When my listening time with the Horace Parlan box ends I'll be moving to even more Parlan included in the Stanley Turrentine Mosaic box.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the kind of music that causes my mind to clear, my emotions to soften, and my perspective of the world to shift in a most positive direction. Some great songs and some great playing. What else can you ask for?

I wish this was the case with what I'm listening to now. Sonny Sharrock/Black Woman. It's pretty much causing my head to explode. I guess it's time for some Parlan. :D

The more I hear Horace Parlan & Grant Green together, via the Parlan Mosaic, the more I hear a common style. I don't play an instrument so I can't explain it... Parlan and Green, while playing different instruments, have, at times, the same 'hit' on a note, the same twang, the same stretch. Both men like to get 'stuck' to cause tension during a song.

At one point during the 'Happy Frame Of Mind' tune I thought I heard Grant Green playing his guitar. On a closer listen it was Horace Parlan on the piano. I've never read a comparison between Horace Parlan and Grant Green... maybe it's just me?

I hear it too.  Never made too much it, other than Green rubbing off on Parlan during the session.  Green's grooves and licks are pretty addicting.

I heard the Grant Green influence on Parlan even before I heard Parlan with Green. I heard the same while listening to Parlan in the trio sessions. There are a few passages in the trio settings where Parlan drags a note so long, over and over, that you think he's going to pop, or that 'you' will.

I wonder if Grant Green had an influence on Horace Parlan, or vice versa, or just a coincidence?

For more excellent Grant Green/Horace Parlan, check out Stanley Turrentine's "Up At Minton's" Vols 1 and 2. Plenty of that Blusey-repeated-note-type-thang you speak of.

Hard to know who influnenced who, but as I think this would have been their first recorded meeting, it shows that they both pretty much had their own sound/style developed at this early stage. The Parlan Mosaic really does sound like a must have.

• 9 months later...

I think I'm going to pick up this set with my Christmas gift certificate. Although I'm not really into piano trios, the other 4 albums represented look great (the Turrentines, Booker, Grant green etc.) and picking those up via imports would run at least 80.00. The good reviews in this thread helped push me over the fence. Plus, I figure this one's may be timing out fairly soon (if the Byrd/Adams is any indications), so it's time to act.

I think I'm going to pick up this set with my Christmas gift certificate. Although I'm not really into piano trios, the other 4 albums represented look great (the Turrentines, Booker, Grant green etc.) and picking those up via imports would run at least 80.00. The good reviews in this thread helped push me over the fence. Plus, I figure this one's may be timing out fairly soon (if the Byrd/Adams is any indications), so it's time to act.

You are correct.

Get it soon.

• 1 year later...

I was given the headsup on this set since I don't already own any of Horace's releases. Having gone through and read the positive responses on this issue, I might just purchase this before the weekends out. It helps I'm working overtime tomorrow. :P

I've had this set on my waiting-for-running-low list for quite some time. Maybe you'll help to push it there for me. :excited:

I was given the headsup on this set since I don't already own any of Horace's releases. Having gone through and read the positive responses on this issue, I might just purchase this before the weekends out. It helps I'm working overtime tomorrow. :P

I've had this set on my waiting-for-running-low list for quite some time. Maybe you'll help to push it there for me. :excited:

The music is excellent. I had this set but got the "Blue Note Works" TOCJs instead; the set is worthwhile, though, and the booklet is great.

Edited by J.A.W.

Similar to Soul Stream, I find myself coming back to the Horace Parlan Mosaic more often than most. There's something about it that is hard to put my finger on, but from track 1 of the set to the last track, everything is top-notch. Even with owning the Mobley, Elvin, Max, JJ, etc. sets, this is truly one of my favorites and IMHO a must-purchase.

I was going to play my Joe Turner box this evening, but a discussion with Tom on the Blues forum made me change my mind and play the Parlan. And then I found this thread! What a coincidence! (But it wasn't really, was it, Tom?)

On the last track now. Oh, what a perfect box! I'm not a Parlan fan but this just makes me feel so good!

Following up with Stanley Turrentine's "Look out!" with Parlan, Tucker & Harewood. I think that was the first time they'd recorded together. Yes - "Speakin' my piece" was done a few weeks later.

MG

No coincidence, MG. I know where to come when I'm looking for great recommendations and this forum doesn't disappoint. You guys convinced me enough to go ahead and make the purchase tonight. I should have it in my hands in the next few days. I'm really looking forward to hearing this excellent set. Hopefully this will spur my friend Ron S into making a purchase himself.

You won't be disappointed. I wasn't at all familiar with Parlan and gave him a listen when someone recommended him as someone I would probably like. The entire Mosaic box set was available to listen to short sound samples at the All Music web site and I was sold after listening to them. I can't think of a single disappointing date on the entire set. This one's a real winner.

Just wanted to say thanks fellas, for recommending this one. Beautifully packaged. It'll take some time to get through the entire collection, but so far this is really nice stuff. Listening to the trio sessions right now.

So you did take the plunge! :tup

I have the LP version of this set. It is one of my favorite Mosaic too and I really like the sound quality.

The trio sessions are :tup .