BFT#36 discussion

tooter

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say track #4 is Fedja from here: >link<

Five bull's eyes, couw, just like that. Tumbling like ninepins. Have you been looking things up? :D Progress thread brought up-to-date. It's been useful to me anyway.

edit - I scrolled down too quick - missed one - going back.

Edited by tooter

Track 10: Some Quincy Jones chart? Very nice drummer, who has the power to push this larger band with brushes. Jimmy Cleveland blowin' da bone? Johnny Griffin! I bet this is on my wish list! Not sure about the baritone, though. It's not from Cleveland's EmArcy disc, that's certain. Great big-toned bass - I know that guy!!! Arrgh!

Like it a lot - 4 stars.

JC and JG, right, but not QJ. Bass player is one of the most easily recognisable I've always thought, generally speaking - starts with an "R"!

Hmm ..... I thought of Ray Brown - but this track is not on the Verve Big Band LP I have, and there's no Griffin on it either. But Cleveland was on this .....

Track 10: Some Quincy Jones chart? Very nice drummer, who has the power to push this larger band with brushes. Jimmy Cleveland blowin' da bone? Johnny Griffin! I bet this is on my wish list! Not sure about the baritone, though. It's not from Cleveland's EmArcy disc, that's certain. Great big-toned bass - I know that guy!!! Arrgh!

Like it a lot - 4 stars.

JC and JG, right, but not QJ. Bass player is one of the most easily recognisable I've always thought, generally speaking - starts with an "R"!

Hmm ..... I thought of Ray Brown - but this track is not on the Verve Big Band LP I have, and there's no Griffin on it either. But Cleveland was on this .....

not Ray, Ron! Just Plain Talkin' about Tadd Dameron's Magic Touch

so it's Tate!

>link<

Just for the fun of it, I've uploaded all of BFT#36 to a site from where it can be downloaded as two zipped files. Each file takes about 40 minutes by my reckoning to downloadv and contains 8 MP3 tracks. If anyone wants to try it, the links are:-

part1

part2

I will try it myself to see if it works. I know a previous BFT was available for download but didn't try that one as I had the CD. From what I've heard, it was quite a long process. Maybe the above will be quicker.

Track 11: ... A Manny Albam arrangement, titled "Blues from neither coast" IIRC.

Right again - Manny

"All Too Soon"

It ought to be that tune by the timing but I had it down as "Minor Matters" - confused! "All to Soon" was written by Duke - does this sound like a Duke tune? I wonder if AMG is right in the listing.

Like it a lot - 4 stars.

so it's Tate!

>link<

Yes! The pianist is listed as Bill Evans but I wondered it maybe it was Tadd himself playing the solo.

Like it a lot - 4 stars.

so it's Tate!

>link<

What was on my mind ....... :blink: ..... I was thinkin' "Oh, so it was Ray Brown who invented that lick Ron Carter likes to play so often" - and I thought of Tate Houston.

I know, there's nothing to prove this ...... :rolleyes:

Edited by mikeweil

Month ends a week today, after which BFT#38 takes over anytime. So I plan to put up the full answers on Friday May 26 - that will give the weekend and three days next week for any further comments.

So if you've got a disc and have not yet commented, now's the time! Many of the answers are already there on the progress thread but there's still plenty of scope for more inspired guesses.

Month ends a week today, after which BFT#38 takes over anytime. So I plan to put up the full answers on Friday May 26 - that will give the weekend and three days next week for any further comments.

.... #37, that is ......

take your time: I will send the overseas discs on Monday, I guess it will take until around the 6th until all will have theirs.

.... #37, that is ......

take your time: I will send the overseas discs on Monday, I guess it will take until around the 6th until all will have theirs.

I was never any good at arithmetic :(

• 2 weeks later...

So I waited until the answers were posted to get my copy. Ah well, that'll teach me.

This really is a wonderful disc, and even though the bari is the running theme, it neither dominates nor overwhelms! This one's definitely a keeper, one that will get repeated plays.

How I wish I'd participated: I'da nailed track #10 on the first go-round. Everything else I would've been clueless about. So, just some random comments from someone who's glanced at the answers, but doesn't remember squat about 'em (and since this is, technically, the "discussion thread," I'm posting the comments here if anyone wants to keep discussing them):

Track 1: nice and swinging, but the ending kinda grated on my nerves. Nice punchy big band sound, just the way I like it! Wouldn't've identified this in a million years.

Track 2: another nice swinger! Even though it's a recent recording, that sure sounds like A.T. on the drums! Wouldn't've been able to i.d. anyone else!

Track 3: another fine big band! Love the way the bari leads the theme statement, or rather lays the foundation for it! Brassy trumpet sounds like Don Byrd when he still went by that name!

Track 4: Would've guessed some kinda Kamuca-Perkins West Coast type thing, like that one track that MartyJazz put on his BFT last fall (wasn't that a Kamuca piece?)

Track 5: At one point, the bari solo got to be so fast, I started wondering if Johnny Griffin had ever recorded on the bari sax? Even then, it still has that Riverside sound going for it, so....

Track 6: No clue. Even after seeing the answers, I still have no clue! :w

Track 7: This sounds like something off the Fats Navarro-Howard McGhee set. Love the beat on this one, love the bari solo!

Track 8: No clue.

Track 9: It's only after reading the comments that I realized what tune this was. DUHHHHH!!!! But I sure love the trombone-bari mix. Love the beat on this one, too!

Track 10: Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! :g Man, I love this album!!!

Track 11: No clue. Nice arrangement, though. Very West Coast, as if THAT wasn't obvious!

Track 12: Another big band!!! WOO HOO!!! The groovy thing about this collection is that it shows off every aspect of the bari: from colorful section player to growling soloist!

Track 13: I must've listened to this three or four times this morning, even humming the tune to myself, and I still can't place it! Gonna have another peek at the answers after this, but THIS one's been driving me batty all day! :wacko::g

Track 14: No clue again. Just nice and swinging!

Track 15: My first thought was "St. Thomas," but no one else i.d.'d this track as that song, so I guess I'm wrong? Very nice, nonetheless!

Track 16: See #14!!!

Alright, now to check those answers again! Once again, Rodney, a fantastic disc, and I'm glad I finally got a copy!!!

So I waited until the answers were posted to get my copy. Ah well, that'll teach me.

This really is a wonderful disc, and even though the bari is the running theme, it neither dominates nor overwhelms! This one's definitely a keeper, one that will get repeated plays.

How I wish I'd participated: I'da nailed track #10 on the first go-round. Everything else I would've been clueless about. So, just some random comments from someone who's glanced at the answers, but doesn't remember squat about 'em (and since this is, technically, the "discussion thread," I'm posting the comments here if anyone wants to keep discussing them):

Track 1: nice and swinging, but the ending kinda grated on my nerves. Nice punchy big band sound, just the way I like it! Wouldn't've identified this in a million years.

Track 2: another nice swinger! Even though it's a recent recording, that sure sounds like A.T. on the drums! Wouldn't've been able to i.d. anyone else!

Track 3: another fine big band! Love the way the bari leads the theme statement, or rather lays the foundation for it! Brassy trumpet sounds like Don Byrd when he still went by that name!

Track 4: Would've guessed some kinda Kamuca-Perkins West Coast type thing, like that one track that MartyJazz put on his BFT last fall (wasn't that a Kamuca piece?)

Track 5: At one point, the bari solo got to be so fast, I started wondering if Johnny Griffin had ever recorded on the bari sax? Even then, it still has that Riverside sound going for it, so....

Track 6: No clue. Even after seeing the answers, I still have no clue! :w

Track 7: This sounds like something off the Fats Navarro-Howard McGhee set. Love the beat on this one, love the bari solo!

Track 8: No clue.

Track 9: It's only after reading the comments that I realized what tune this was. DUHHHHH!!!! But I sure love the trombone-bari mix. Love the beat on this one, too!

Track 10: Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! :g Man, I love this album!!!

Track 11: No clue. Nice arrangement, though. Very West Coast, as if THAT wasn't obvious!

Track 12: Another big band!!! WOO HOO!!! The groovy thing about this collection is that it shows off every aspect of the bari: from colorful section player to growling soloist!

Track 13: I must've listened to this three or four times this morning, even humming the tune to myself, and I still can't place it! Gonna have another peek at the answers after this, but THIS one's been driving me batty all day! :wacko::g

Track 14: No clue again. Just nice and swinging!

Track 15: My first thought was "St. Thomas," but no one else i.d.'d this track as that song, so I guess I'm wrong? Very nice, nonetheless!

Track 16: See #14!!!

Alright, now to check those answers again! Once again, Rodney, a fantastic disc, and I'm glad I finally got a copy!!!

All comments welcome, anytime, especially such amiable ones! Thank you for the support. Now I know why they call you "Big Al". :D

The ending of 1. - having just received the CD from the supplier Mike told us about, I have just been playing it yet again. It does seem a bit repetitive as they go out, maybe that's it.

I'm adding your name to 10. on the progress thread then.

Still surprised that nobody was able to name Bud Shank as the alto on 6.