BFT#36 discussion

tooter

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happen to love baritone, especially Pepper but I can't say I'm especially gifted at identifications. I've listened to this awesome cd once and loved it.

What really grabbed my attention, however, was the last selection, where I'm pretty sure the bari player is Eddie de Verteuil, not too well known. I believe the song is Webb City. Great bop session.

Thanks Toter for the great selection .....

I gave it a first try and wrote some spontanious thoughts ......

1. It sound to me like Stan Kenton's orchestra with Lee Konitz on altosax.

3. Isn't this Basie's band with Basie on piano of course?

4. First guess .... Gerry Mulligan on baritone

5. First guess .... Serge Challof?

14. It sound like Mulligan playing together with another baritone?

16. Serge Challoff again - Woody Herman band + Four Brothers?

Keep swinging

Durium

I happen to love baritone, especially Pepper but I can't say I'm especially gifted at identifications. I've listened to this awesome cd once and loved it.

What really grabbed my attention, however, was the last selection, where I'm pretty sure the bari player is Eddie de Verteuil, not too well known. I believe the song is Webb City. Great bop session.

It's that "breaking glass" sound that does it for me (the term used by Peter Clayton, now long departed British radio jazz presenter). Pepper's a great favourite with me too.

Sory to have to tell you you are wide of the mark on your guesses about 16, Brad. The tune is not well-known I would say but the baritone player certainly is.

Keep trying! :w

Thanks Toter for the great selection .....

I gave it a first try and wrote some spontanious thoughts ......

1. It sound to me like Stan Kenton's orchestra with Lee Konitz on altosax.

3. Isn't this Basie's band with Basie on piano of course?

4. First guess .... Gerry Mulligan on baritone

5. First guess .... Serge Challof?

14. It sound like Mulligan playing together with another baritone?

16. Serge Challoff again - Woody Herman band + Four Brothers?

Keep swinging

Durium

1. Not Kenton, Durium, or Konitz.

3. Not Basie either.

4. Nope, not Mulligan.

5. Nor Serge.

14. Wrong on both counts unfortunately.

16. Yes! - you have the baritone player - the first hit - I wondered if he might be identified first. But not right on the band or the tune. Not the right line-up for that.

Only fifteen more baritone players to go! Plus all the other details of course!

No offense intended, but sixteen baritonists sounds like 15 too many. I'm not regretting skipping this BFT. :cool:

No offense taken, Dan, but as I pointed out elsewhere there are other things happening on most tracks. It's just that there's a baritone solo on each, not necessarily all that prominent. Gave me a theme is all. Not too late if you change your mind - I can still send you a copy. :P

No offense intended, but sixteen baritonists sounds like 15 too many. I'm not regretting skipping this BFT. :cool:

What's wrong with programming a disc of baritone players? There have been some very great ones and while I've yet to listen to Tooter's BFT - will rectify that shortly - I'm looking forward, (but not confidently) to this disc. No need to rain on Tooter's baritone parade.

Edited by MartyJazz

Rodney, this disc is just great!

Funny coincidence is that from monday on I will play the baritone for three weeks again in that complete different (musical?) world that is the army band...

That also explains why I did not have lots of time to listen to your disc, but this evening finally (my last before losing my right to live... that's what defines a soldier, no? at least in case of war...) I managed to play the whole thing. Many tunes sound familiar, either just the tune or in some cases the versions of it you have chosen. I have not been in the mood to take notes for each and every tune, but I loved all tunes, including those on which I haven't got anything smart to say... guessing was not really what I felt like trying today, since I have so many other things to finish, but here are some random thoughts:

#1 - Great one! Sounds very familiar... Jones/Lewis big band? (Pepper on bari, then, and prob. Jerome Richardson playing the great alto solo?)

#2 - reminded me of Serge Chaloff first - I thought of something on "Blue Serge", but I checked AMG and none of the timings match, plus this doesn't sound like Vinnegar or even less Philly Joe. Very nice groove, though!

#3 - Piano sounds like the kid from Red Bank, but it's not him, I think. Could be Shihab and Griffin and the Clarke/Boland band, but that's just a wild guess... trumpet is very nice, with a brassy sound.

#4 - smoother barisax sound on this one. Chaloff? Or one of the Brothers on barisax for a change? Alto sounds like a cross between Konitz and Desmond - great sound!

#6 - Very nice opening here! Barisax with lots of Hawk and a bite that reminds me of Griffin a bit. Not your typical barisax sound and style, for sure!

37 - Sounds like that Tadd Dameron band from the Royal Roost in the forties?

#8 - "Centerpiece"

#9 - "Blue Bossa", very very very nice soprano solo! Mellow sound and none of the biting itching Trane-stuff (I like that, too, when in the right mood - not too often of late)

#10 - Now this sounds like the Jones/Lewis band again... beautiful writing here! Terrific solos, great rhythm section... with #1 and #3 among my favourite tracks!

#14 - a Mulligan tune, or at least one associated with him? But he's not playing here, I think.

Sorry for the sketchy nature of these notes, but again let me repeat how much I enjoyed the disc! I'll take it with me, for sure, so I have some *real* barisax to play!

brookins3.gif

PS: where's Ronnie Ross? I'm afraid I haven't listened to all the stuff I got from you attentively enough yet to pick him out (but I'll have a couple of those "Wonderful World" and "Focus on RR" with me, too).

Great disk, but sadly I have too little time to spin and listen attentively. Many things going on here and I am lacking daily exposure and cannot name the most common tunes or players off late. Still I conjured up some remarks and here goes:

een: a slow start that proves to be quite the blast off! Based on the blasts alone, I'd say this is Thad and Mel with the brawling baritone of Pepper Adams. Richardson on alto maybe, though I don't think that's Knepper on trombone... Obviously this is taken from vinyl, which may mean it is hard to google something up on it. Good stuff, but a bit too much reng-deng in the face for my tastes and only for the occasional car drive. Yee-hah!

twee: my first thought was Chaloff here, because of all the butter in the sax. There is a strange swooshing distortion, as if this is from mp3. The bass is too modern for a Chaloff recording so this must be another butter baritone sliding through the chorusses. Beats me. Nice stuff though! Nah, that's not Chaloff.

drie: the big band caught me offguard, I was expecting an intimate small group ditty. Nice bass for a big band rekkid. Allusions of Basie here and there, but it's not him. The intro/outro has me doubting. Nice deep barking baritone. And damn if I could place a name on that tenor. Drats! Very nice cut if I could only enjoy it instead of kicking myself for not coming up with any names.

vier: a cool baritone for a change. Love this one. The interplay half way through is especially nice.

vijf: I have a distinct feeling that I should know this one, but once again my mind is blank. Love the way the saxist draws his lines across the beat into the next crevice and lets it all tumble from above with just enough control so it makes it to the next line.

zes: this sounds like some european Kolleresque arrangement. So Rodney, what am I missing? Memory?

zeven: a Dameron tune? It's been ages since I played some of that early boppish stuff. I sure need to again. Leo Parker then? Maybe on one of those J.J. Savoy sides; I'd need to check-

eight: the tune is familiar and I like the set up with the guitar, but no clues, no guesses...

negen: Blue Bossa. The trombone sounds familiar and who's that on soprano?? This is good stuff! Maybe one guy doubling on soprano and baritone?

tien: Very nice. I love how this band sets up smaller groups to take turns here and there, as if taking a walk through a large old building with an occasional open door where we get a peek of everyday life of some happy people who need no stress and carry on about their business.

elf: a nice euro sound again. music to stroll through the park by.

twaalf: waaah! great stuff! great energy! and a great gnawing conscious yelling at me. Soaring tenor takes the lead in a rodeo to show off to the baritone it seems, Griffin? So is this Ronnie then? Sounds like a tenor with a cough, fantastic. Maybe one of those NDR workshop things?

dertien: drats! name that tune as I can't! total mind block. That echo on the baritone solo is whack BTW.

veertien: more Euro tunes. And more nice! And more no clue whatsoever!

vijftien: sounds like a Rollins tune, what's it again. This is really great.

zestien: some more old stuff which I am almost certain I have heard before.

All in all a pretty lame performance here! But I love this disk. I'll be playing it some more over the week(s) and although the guesswork seems finished for me at the time, maybe I'll add a remark here and there.

Thanks much to Rodney for compiling this set.

rodney thanks for the BFT! i enjoyed it but regret not being able to make any guesses.

i look forward to the answers!

:)

What he said ;) ! Anyway, thanks very much for this very enjoyable BFT !

Bright Moments and Steven - I live in hope that you won't give up quite yet - suggest you keep an eye on others comments which might then give you ideas as to other details yet to be identified. Some very prominent baritone players not yet spotted.

16. Yes! - you have the baritone player - the first hit - I wondered if he might be identified first. But not right on the band or the tune. Not the right line-up for that.

Only fifteen more baritone players to go! Plus all the other details of course!

Not bad at all .... 6 % and as I understand not the most easy one. My average normally is between 0% and 5 %

Good luck to all the others !!

Keep swinging

Durium

Rodney, this disc is just great!

Funny coincidence is that from monday on I will play the baritone for three weeks again in that complete different (musical?) world that is the army band...

That also explains why I did not have lots of time to listen to your disc, but this evening finally (my last before losing my right to live... that's what defines a soldier, no? at least in case of war...) I managed to play the whole thing. Many tunes sound familiar, either just the tune or in some cases the versions of it you have chosen. I have not been in the mood to take notes for each and every tune, but I loved all tunes, including those on which I haven't got anything smart to say... guessing was not really what I felt like trying today, since I have so many other things to finish, but here are some random thoughts:

#1 - Great one! Sounds very familiar... Jones/Lewis big band? (Pepper on bari, then, and prob. Jerome Richardson playing the great alto solo?)

#2 - reminded me of Serge Chaloff first - I thought of something on "Blue Serge", but I checked AMG and none of the timings match, plus this doesn't sound like Vinnegar or even less Philly Joe. Very nice groove, though!

#3 - Piano sounds like the kid from Red Bank, but it's not him, I think. Could be Shihab and Griffin and the Clarke/Boland band, but that's just a wild guess... trumpet is very nice, with a brassy sound.

#4 - smoother barisax sound on this one. Chaloff? Or one of the Brothers on barisax for a change? Alto sounds like a cross between Konitz and Desmond - great sound!

#6 - Very nice opening here! Barisax with lots of Hawk and a bite that reminds me of Griffin a bit. Not your typical barisax sound and style, for sure!

37 - Sounds like that Tadd Dameron band from the Royal Roost in the forties?

#8 - "Centerpiece"

#9 - "Blue Bossa", very very very nice soprano solo! Mellow sound and none of the biting itching Trane-stuff (I like that, too, when in the right mood - not too often of late)

#10 - Now this sounds like the Jones/Lewis band again... beautiful writing here! Terrific solos, great rhythm section... with #1 and #3 among my favourite tracks!

#14 - a Mulligan tune, or at least one associated with him? But he's not playing here, I think.

Sorry for the sketchy nature of these notes, but again let me repeat how much I enjoyed the disc! I'll take it with me, for sure, so I have some *real* barisax to play!

brookins3.gif

PS: where's Ronnie Ross? I'm afraid I haven't listened to all the stuff I got from you attentively enough yet to pick him out (but I'll have a couple of those "Wonderful World" and "Focus on RR" with me, too).

No comment on your PS, Flurin! Nice try in view of the distractions you are subject to. I've posted what you have said that's correct in the "progress" thread. Do you have to transpose when you play the bari? :w

Great disk, but sadly I have too little time to spin and listen attentively. Many things going on here and I am lacking daily exposure and cannot name the most common tunes or players off late. Still I conjured up some remarks and here goes:

een: a slow start that proves to be quite the blast off! Based on the blasts alone, I'd say this is Thad and Mel with the brawling baritone of Pepper Adams. Richardson on alto maybe, though I don't think that's Knepper on trombone... Obviously this is taken from vinyl, which may mean it is hard to google something up on it. Good stuff, but a bit too much reng-deng in the face for my tastes and only for the occasional car drive. Yee-hah!

Closer to home for the trombone!

twee: my first thought was Chaloff here, because of all the butter in the sax. There is a strange swooshing distortion, as if this is from mp3. The bass is too modern for a Chaloff recording so this must be another butter baritone sliding through the chorusses. Beats me. Nice stuff though! Nah, that's not Chaloff.

Quite right, not Serge. Who else plays a butter bari?

drie: the big band caught me offguard, I was expecting an intimate small group ditty. Nice bass for a big band rekkid. Allusions of Basie here and there, but it's not him. The intro/outro has me doubting. Nice deep barking baritone. And damn if I could place a name on that tenor. Drats! Very nice cut if I could only enjoy it instead of kicking myself for not coming up with any names.

vier: a cool baritone for a change. Love this one. The interplay half way through is especially nice.

Close to home again for the bari!

vijf: I have a distinct feeling that I should know this one, but once again my mind is blank. Love the way the saxist draws his lines across the beat into the next crevice and lets it all tumble from above with just enough control so it makes it to the next line.

I think I might know the reason for the confusion.

zes: this sounds like some european Kolleresque arrangement. So Rodney, what am I missing? Memory?

Not European, no. Far away!

zeven: a Dameron tune? It's been ages since I played some of that early boppish stuff. I sure need to again. Leo Parker then? Maybe on one of those J.J. Savoy sides; I'd need to check-

Not Dameron but right - JJ/Leo

eight: the tune is familiar and I like the set up with the guitar, but no clues, no guesses...

There's a link here with 3.

negen: Blue Bossa. The trombone sounds familiar and who's that on soprano?? This is good stuff! Maybe one guy doubling on soprano and baritone?

Right on the tune of course and the double

tien: Very nice. I love how this band sets up smaller groups to take turns here and there, as if taking a walk through a large old building with an occasional open door where we get a peek of everyday life of some happy people who need no stress and carry on about their business.

elf: a nice euro sound again. music to stroll through the park by.

Not European!

twaalf: waaah! great stuff! great energy! and a great gnawing conscious yelling at me. Soaring tenor takes the lead in a rodeo to show off to the baritone it seems, Griffin? So is this Ronnie then? Sounds like a tenor with a cough, fantastic. Maybe one of those NDR workshop things?

Think you might be surprised about this one

dertien: drats! name that tune as I can't! total mind block. That echo on the baritone solo is whack BTW.

veertien: more Euro tunes. And more nice! And more no clue whatsoever!

vijftien: sounds like a Rollins tune, what's it again. This is really great.

zestien: some more old stuff which I am almost certain I have heard before.

All in all a pretty lame performance here! But I love this disk. I'll be playing it some more over the week(s) and although the guesswork seems finished for me at the time, maybe I'll add a remark here and there.

Thanks much to Rodney for compiling this set.

This has given BFT#36 a boost - thanks, couw. I'm sure you'll get more as you listen more.

As for Blue Bossa, that sounds a lot like Bill Watrous on the trombone and I would opt for Nick Brignola on the saxes. That would make it likely this is from the L.A. Bound album, but AMG lists a shorter version of the tune for that album...

As for Blue Bossa, that sounds a lot like Bill Watrous on the trombone and I would opt for Nick Brignola on the saxes. That would make it likely this is from the L.A. Bound album, but AMG lists a shorter version of the tune for that album...

Progress thread amended as appropriate for these last two posts. I knew it!