Back on Vinyl

So I'm a CD man. O.K. I'm into easy...ect. However, I have a pretty good jazz vinyl collection mainly from before much of this stuff was on CD. Don't hardly every listen to vinyl....o,k....really nearly never.

Until about 2 weeks ago.

Cleared out my music room to where I could get to my vinyl easily. Alot I don't have on CD I've realized... and even those I do. I've become a vinyl junkie again. Nothing like putting on a big ol' slam of vinyl. Maybe it keeps my ADD down...can't skip tracks as easily...I find myself listening more to things I might not of otherwise....

I made a "return to vinyl" some years back and made a post about it on the jazz forums we used to post on at the time, and I still remember Brownie's reply: "Welcome home, Duke; nothing beats vinyl".

:)

:)

Must have been the BNBB! The only jazz forum I took part in before it grew into Organissimo!

I've been playing some vinyl lately. Just the other day, I opened up this really cool LP I found at Stereo Jack's Shelly Manne's "Rex" with Lew Tabackin on reeds. Hey, for $1 sealed, how can you pass that up? :)

Track 3 has a nice quiet section... POP!... POP!...POP!

Vinyl looks perfect. It's brand new. What the...

It's always easy for me to remember why I jumped on the CD bandwagon. :)

I'll keep spinning vinyl, but CDs will likely remain my preferred media.

Kevin

CDs are great for convenience (unbeatable in that respect) but I love the way the vinyl sound really draws you in.

And as for Blue Note deep grooves, they are in a league of their own.

Vinyl lives ! :wub:

The vinyl compound used by Plastylite in the "flat edge" era has to be the toughest of all time. I have early 12" Blue Note that look they were passed around to everyone on the South Side of Chicago and dragged behind a '57 Buick between stops that play GREAT! I have a Sonny Rollins Lexington flat edge that is as ugly as you can imagine--big scrapes, needle drops feelable hairlines--I almost PASSED on it at only $20 a few years ago, but it had a really nice "frame" jacket, so I bought it for the jacket only.

Well, I got it home and cleaned it up and decided to play it and DAMN! It's ALMOST dead-quiet--NO surface noise AT ALL in the lead-in and only about a dozen repeating LIGHT, SOFT tics in one spot. ZERO distortion! It's the best sounding version of this record I have ever heard. And it's beat to shit.

Edited by Allan Songer

Can you clean records with Windex?

You can. But you shouldn't. I've been using Duane Goldman's record cleaning brushes and fluid for almost ten years. I use them with a Nitty Gritty Record Cleaning Machine (on my second one--the first one crapped out after about 12 years). But you don't HAVE to use a machine--see Duane's instructions.

The Disc Doctor

• 4 weeks later...

I recently invested in a minor upgrade of my system - a new Pioneer amp with a very good phono preamp, and a better Grado Blue pickup for my Thorens - which resulted in so much better sound as far as vinyl is concerned that I really enjoy listening to my LPs again. It seems to me that the average balance between the recording process and the playback system is better with analog recording. But I also have a lot of CDs that sound excellent, and as many CD transfers that sound far better than the old LPs. I enjoy both, and regret the sale of many an LP over the years, but space and funds are limited .....