The Wine Thread

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

enjoying a 2003 Silver Oak Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon at the moment!

Must be nice.

At one time, I used to be able to afford Silver Oak, Dominus, Far Niente, Pine Ridge, Caymus, Merryvale, Stag's Leap and Groth wines [among many others], too.

They have all priced me out.

Edited by GoodSpeak

At one time, I used to be able to afford Silver Oak, Dominus, Far Niente, Pine Ridge, Caymus, Merryvale, Stag's Leap and Groth wines [among many others], too.

They have priced out nearly everyone, not just you. Only the rich can afford most of these wines now.

But you know, I don't think the wineries really care. They have very limited production and they still sell out to these rich clientele. They make the most profit that they can. I don't even know if I can blame them. They want to make the most money they can - they are a business. "Subsidizing" us less fortunate wine drinkers is not good business. :)

BTW, most of these wineries didn't just whomp the prices sky high. They slowly raised the price starting around 1991 or so. If a vintage didn't sell out, they kept the price the same.

An example is Caymus. I used to buy as much of this as I could afford. I saw it go up by about $10-20 every year for about 5 years until it hit around $75. There it sits. Back when it was $20 a bottle in the late 80's, you had to pre-order it. Now, at $75 a bottle, you can find it at most high end wine shops. They hit their top asking price. Will it come back down? Not to $20. But I have seen many places selling older vintages for $65 (still way too expensive for me).

Later,

Kevin

They have priced out nearly everyone, not just you. Only the rich can afford most of these wines now.

But you know, I don't think the wineries really care. They have very limited production and they still sell out to these rich clientele. They make the most profit that they can. I don't even know if I can blame them. They want to make the most money they can - they are a business. "Subsidizing" us less fortunate wine drinkers is not good business. :)

BTW, most of these wineries didn't just whomp the prices sky high. They slowly raised the price starting around 1991 or so. If a vintage didn't sell out, they kept the price the same.

An example is Caymus. I used to buy as much of this as I could afford. I saw it go up by about $10-20 every year for about 5 years until it hit around $75. There it sits. Back when it was $20 a bottle in the late 80's, you had to pre-order it. Now, at $75 a bottle, you can find it at most high end wine shops. They hit their top asking price. Will it come back down? Not to $20. But I have seen many places selling older vintages for $65 (still way too expensive for me).

Later,

Kevin

Good point, Kevin.

Nice to know I am in good company relative to pricing. But they could throw us a bone once in a while. ^_^

It just galls me that places like Groth and Caymus for example, built their winery on the affordability and popularity of their wines and now that they won several awards [and rightly so] the price has shot up into the ozone. Way back when Groth was just starting to get noticed their basic Cabs went for $10-15 bucks a bottle 15 years ago. Now, that same varietal is pushing $60-125 bucks. Crazy nuts, IMHO. Alexander Valley Winery, OTOH, still sells their Cabs for under $25 bucks. It can be done. I guess the lure of the lira, so-to-speak, is stronger than providing affordable wine anymore.

I don't know if you have heard of or tasted Lytton Spings or Ridge Zinfandel [excellent wine, BTW] but I was in their tasting room 10-15 years ago and the guy in the tasting room leaned over and whispered that if I like the Zin to buy as many bottles [then $10 dollars] as I could because the wine just won Gold at the California State Fair. The intimation was the price was about to hit the roof. It did and it was the last bottle I was ever able to afford from their winery; $40 bucks is out of reach for my budget.

But you're right, the wineries don't care about us anymore....too bad.

Edited by GoodSpeak

But you're right, the wineries don't care us anymore....and that is the saddest cut of all.

Was there a point in your life when you thought wineries cared for you? :lol: :lol:

When they needed my money to get a foothold in the market, I guess. Now that they are there, guys like me are out of fashion.

I mean, it's not like I'm expecting a Christmas card from them every year, but they have left some loyal customers in the lurch.

• 2 weeks later...

My problem is the wine industry has pretty much priced me out of the wines I really came to enjoy over the years. I would appreciate any suggestions for well made wines that won't break the bank. Thanks!

I've always been a big fan of Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cabernet's and Merlot's. I claim to be no expert, but they have been highly regarded for the past few yrs and come at a very affordable price usually $12 - $14. Just make sure you look for the Grand Estates and not Two Vines which is a cheaper version of the label.

Thanks for the tip, Tom.

I've been meaning to take a chance on that winery...I'll check it out.

We had the Merlot with dinner tonight [my wife is a Merlot fan...so I went with it] and it was a very good pairing with our BBQ'd Filet Minon.

An excellent wine for the price [$12 bucks].

Enjoying a blended red right now called Menage a Trois (Zin, Merlot and Cab). It's from Folie a Deux in St. Helena, California. I visited this winery in the early '80's when it was just starting. I remember talking at length with the owner, who, as you might gather from the name, is/was a psychiatrist. I just happened to spot a bottle the other day at the place I shop for wine. I guess I'm surprised, but pleased that they remain in business. In honor of their success, I may drink the whole bottle.

Up over and out.

Enjoying a blended red right now called Menage a Trois (Zin, Merlot and Cab). It's from Folie a Deux in St. Helena, California. I visited this winery in the early '80's when it was just starting. I remember talking at length with the owner, who, as you might gather from the name, is/was a psychiatrist. I just happened to spot a bottle the other day at the place I shop for wine. I guess I'm surprised, but pleased that they remain in business. In honor of their success, I may drink the whole bottle.

Up over and out.

A very nice bottle of juice, Dave.

Have you ever tried the white version of Menage a Trois?

Up over and out.

Thats a good one.

Been enjoying some 2005 Incanto Chianti Classico Riserva that TJ's had for a while.

Not great but very good for the price.

Edited by WorldB3

My latest bargain has been an unusual blend from Argentina called Crios de Susana Balbo. I bought up quite a few of the 2005 vintage. For this vintage, the blend is 50% Bonarda and 50% Syrah. You should be able to get this for around $15 a bottle. An incredible wine at this price. Drinks like a much more expensive bottle. Lots of fruit. A great "blindfold test" wine - fool your wine friends in a big way.

Like some of you, I'd look and see "Argentina" and think, "Eh". Luckily, my local wine shop had this out for a tasting. It blew away every wine in the tasting, many costing 2 to 3 times the price.

Later,

Kevin

Looking around the web, I found these reviews:

from www.argonautliquor.com

Crios de Susana Balbo

Dark reddish/purple color. Intense aroma of black raspberries. This medium-bodied, very lively wine has loads of ripe red plum and black raspberry flavors with a slightly spicy character and a long, juicy finish. This 2005 vintage has a depth of flavor and intensity on the palate that is almost unheard of for wines at this price. It's a winner both before and during a meal. Certainly enjoyable in its youth, but it will age beautifully. A fun wine to try with a wide range of red wine-friendly foods, and one that will delight even the most pretentious connoisseur.

from The Wine Advocate

The 2005 Syrah-Bonarda (50% of each) is purple-colored with an expressive nose of pepper, spice box, and blueberry. On the palate the wine is supple-textured and easy-drinking with plenty of vibrant, spicy, ripe dark fruits, soft tannins, and a fruit-filled finish. Drink this tasty wine over the next 3-4 years. Although Susana Balbos’s Crios offerings are the declassified lots from her more expensive “signature” wines, they need make no apologies. They rank among the best values from my Argentina wine tastings. All of the Crios wines are outstanding values.

Score: 89. —Jay Miller, December 2007.

from The Wine Spectator

Bright and juicy, with lots of red currant, cherry and licorice flavors backed by spice and floral notes on the racy finish. Delicious. Drink now. 9,750 cases made.

Score: 89. —James Molesworth, May 31, 2007.

75361.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

My problem is the wine industry has pretty much priced me out of the wines I really came to enjoy over the years. I would appreciate any suggestions for well made wines that won't break the bank. Thanks!

I've always been a big fan of Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cabernet's and Merlot's. I claim to be no expert, but they have been highly regarded for the past few yrs and come at a very affordable price usually $12 - $14. Just make sure you look for the Grand Estates and not Two Vines which is a cheaper version of the label.

Thanks for the tip, Tom.

We had the Merlot with dinner tonight [my wife is a Merlot fan...so I went with it] and it was a very good pairing with our BBQ'd Filet Minon.

That's great! Glad to have sold you on this. You really can't go wrong for the price and it's a darn good wine. Check out the Cab at some point also.

Thanks for the tip, Tom.

That's great! Glad to have sold you on this. You really can't go wrong for the price and it's a darn good wine. Check out the Cab at some point also.

Will do.

I mean, the wine had a nice inky color to it, good body and a very soft finish which stood up to the flavor of the meat. Very nice :tup

Edited by GoodSpeak

• 2 weeks later...

....The most unusual wine I've had was an ice-cold, sweet (but not candy sweet) wine. As I understand it, the process involves letting the grapes chill on the vine with a frost before harvest. Maybe even a hard freeze, not sure. Served in tall, thin glass as desert. Unusual. Very flavorful.

Sounds like an icewine, and wineries in the Niagara Peninsula of Ontario have been making a specialty of it over the last couple of decades.

Lots of information at http://www.winesofcanada.com/icewine.html

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a '98 Carmenet Dynamite Cabernet last night. Very good.....though the '95 Carmenet ('Moon Mountan') is in a whole other league. Tonite it's a Brut Rose Cremant from the Loire with some Lobster Mac & Cheese that I'm gonna try my had at! Champagne Schmampagne! .. I can live with Cremant.

Brownie won't like this! ^_^:P