Hank Mobley - Straight no filter

MG, that album was scheduled to be released originally as BN 4241 but it remained unissued until the 1986 appearance of BST 84435. This one had the following tracks:

Side 1:

1 Straight No Filter

2 Chain Reaction

3 Soft Impression

Side 2:

1 Third Time Around

2 Hank's Waltz

3 The Feelin's Good

MG, that album was scheduled to be released originally as BN 4241 but it remained unissued until the 1986 appearance of BST 84435. This one had the following tracks:

Side 1:

1 Straight No Filter

2 Chain Reaction

3 Soft Impression

Side 2:

1 Third Time Around

2 Hank's Waltz

3 The Feelin's Good

Thanks very much, Brownie.

MG

Some of the tracks are mistitled on both the LP and the CD. Let me check if I can find some notes about that somewhere. If I remember correctly there was a mix-up of two or more titles.

Oh my goodness! Daniel, what I want to do is burn myself some CDs (partly to learn how to do it) which put the tracks from "Turnaround", "No room for squares" and "Straight no filter" into the order, and on the albums, in which they originally appeared. So I'd be grateful if when you respond, you could bear that in mind. I've got the track listings for the two that appeared in the '60s.

MG

Every man to his own taste, but this is a case where I think that session order makes more sense - the different rhythm section shine much clearer when the sessions are completed.

I agree. Not as much of a fan of albums that come from different sessions with radically different personel from date to date.

Kept my old McMaster of "No Room For Squares" just for that reason - to have that entire session with Andrew Hill all in one place.

Forgotten about that post. I see that Mike looked at this with me on his last visit, so the copyright deposits will not clear up anything, in the sense that they do not contradict the LP/CD.

There is one more piece of information since that posting. Exactly one week before Jackie passed on, Rene did a tribute in D.C. and played 'Blues Inn' off the copyright deposit I had sent them. I noticed that it was in the same handwriting as a lot of the mid-sixties Blue Note deposits. I had assumed that handwriting was Duke Pearson's (both Jackie and Andrew Hill confirmed that he sent in a lot of the lead sheets for copyright). However, this piece is from 1960 or 1961. I don't think Pearson was A & R man at the time - I think it was Leon Mitchell. Rene said he would ask Jackie, but I'm sure he never had a chance to :(

So there is a rather crucial mystery involved: who wrote out many of the Blue Note copyright deposits?

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I still can't believe that Lion split up that March 7, 1963 session. That's common practice for someone like Prestige but not Blue Note. I mean, personally I think that's one of my favorite Mobley sessions.

I made my own compilation of this material to keep from going completely insane. Here's the title/tracklisting I came up with:

Hank Mobley - Yes Indeed!

1. Yes Indeed

2. Up A Step

3. The Feelin's Good

4. Old World, New Imports

5. East Of The Village

6. The Good Life

I just listened to these 3 tracks and I don't know, I think the titles as printed are correct.

Chain Reaction fits the second track, it's intense enough for a title like that - - despite the modal framework, I really don't think the title Soft Impressions fits. Plus...Hank was a pretty slick cat, I don't think he would have intentionally named a track indicating where he got the idea from.

Now for the 3rd track. The title Chain Reaction wouldn't fit this at all, it's got too much of a light and happy vibe for me to believe they would have used that title. However...the title Soft Impressions captures the mood of the piece quite nicely.

Just my opinion, based on no research whatsoever. :g

The sense I'm getting from this and the earlier related thread is that on both LP and CD, the tunes had the same titles attached to them, but that these titles MAY have been wrong (I can see the force of Shawn's argument above). In other words, if errors were made, they were made consistently, as earlier errors were repeated.

I do like the idea of being able to listen to this material as albums or sessions, depending on how I feel.

I'm most grateful for all this; thanks folks.

MG

• 1 year later...

I don't own this record, although I suspect that I will soon and it's a little confusing to me, but it sounds like there is some concern that the tracks may be labeled in that incorrect order, thus songs have the wrong names. Is that correct? With new originals, this would ordinarily be kind of unfortunate, but leading to my question, it could be worse than that in this case because my question was going to be:

Can someone help me understand the personnel by track on this record? I this record mixed some sessions and rhythm sections, but without my hands on the liner notes (or I like to think my ears in front of some good speakers) I can't figure out which tracks belong to which rhythm sections. I'm doing some research and could use some help. can someone straighten me out, please?