Last art exhibition you visited?

On 1/26/2016 at 7:53 AM, Cyril said:

The Karel Appel exhibition in The Hague.  Appel is perhaps the most renowned Dutch artist of the latter half of the twentieth century....

appel.head_.jpg

Cobra is just one of the many aspects of Apple’s work.

Always very partial to the European equivalent to abstract expressionism from the 50s. Largely a forgotten area, so was pleased when Manchester Art Gallery came up with a COBRA exhibition a few years ago.

http://www.codart.com/exhibitions/details/523/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I/we went to Manchester Art Gallery yesterday. The usual stuff really, though there was a robot roaming around one gallery, and some digital art which I didn't much care for. There were a couple of impressive ceramic pieces, including one by Grayson Perry, which my wife spotted straight away.

Actually, there was a sculpture by Antony Gormley (he of "The Angel of the North" and the "Another Place" sculptures) suspended from the roof, now I remember.

Oooh, not an art exhibition, but this was on display in Manchester Cathedral, which was also part of my mooch around the city yesterday.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/international-womens-day-2016-melted-guns-sculpture-manchester-peace-activist-dr-erinma-1548178

Edited by rdavenport

35 minutes ago, BillF said:

I was last in Manchester Art Gallery a few weeks ago. Particularly liked this Francis Bacon, which I don't remember seeing before:

407449-121208-rev-bacon1.jpg

I missed that yesterday. In fact, I think I we missed a good portion of the exhibitions as we got there not long before chucking-out time. 

Shame, I like Francis Bacon. I wonder if it will still be there in six months when we next go to town! 

49 minutes ago, rdavenport said:

I missed that yesterday. In fact, I think I we missed a good portion of the exhibitions as we got there not long before chucking-out time. 

Shame, I like Francis Bacon. I wonder if it will still be there in six months when we next go to town! 

As it belongs to the gallery, it should still be there - providing the Council hasn't been forced to sell it to stay afloat!

http://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-independent/20160312/281479275518501

It's been a whirlwind week at NYC and Boston museums.  I made a trip to the Met, and enjoyed it very much, though this is one of the first times that the special exhibits didn't grab me, and I stayed almost entirely in the main galleries.  I guess you could call the exhibit on Modernism in the 20th C Galleries a special exhibit.  There is a room with a newly rediscovered mural by Thomas Hart Benton: http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2014/thomas-hart-benton

Unfortunately, most of my photos didn't turn out that well.  Also, I did not see that Bulletin in the gift shop.  I'll almost certainly be coming back to NY this summer (for the Stuart Davis show at the Whitney) and while the Benton mural will be gone, I should be able to grab the Bulletin.

I'm going to be honest and say I was horribly disappointed with the Brooklyn Museum.  The special exhibit on Coney Island was ok, but the entire American collection was off-view and 90% of the European paintings.  What a complete waste of time.

The MoMA was entertaining as always, and the special exhibit on Jackson Pollack was pretty good.  I was a bit disappointed that the Max Beckmann triptych was off-view, though they did have Rosenquist's F-111 on-view, which is not displayed that often.

Last night I was at the Boston MFA and enjoyed seeing the art there, along with the special exhibit on Lawren Harris.

We'll probably see the Harvard Museums of Art today and end with the Isabella Gardner Museum tonight with its evening hours.

I just saw the Van Gogh's Bedrooms show in Chicago: http://www.artic.edu/exhibition/van-goghs-bedrooms

It's a very focused though worthwhile show, though there are maybe 30 Van Gogh paintings aside from the 3 bedroom scenes.  The crowds are the heaviest in the morning (since they are telling everyone to show up early!) and then they thin out a bit, then get heavier in the afternoon.  It will probably be crazy in mid May right before it closes, so my advice would be to go in April if possible.  In addition, there is that AirBnB room that looks just like Van Gogh's room.  I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to check that out.

There is so much amazing art to see at the Art Institute that it is always worth the trip.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, rdavenport said:

I went to Sheffield's Millenium Gallery today, where I took in the "Ruskin, Creativity and Craftsmanship" exhibition. Some impressive metalwork (Sheffield being the steel city and all), another Grayson Perry pot and a Tracy Emin blanket among others.

You should have waved. I wandered by a couple of times on my way to/from the Showroom Cinema by the station! 

On 3/27/2016 at 0:53 PM, ejp626 said:

I just saw the Van Gogh's Bedrooms show in Chicago: http://www.artic.edu/exhibition/van-goghs-bedrooms

It's a very focused though worthwhile show, though there are maybe 30 Van Gogh paintings aside from the 3 bedroom scenes.  The crowds are the heaviest in the morning (since they are telling everyone to show up early!) and then they thin out a bit, then get heavier in the afternoon.  It will probably be crazy in mid May right before it closes, so my advice would be to go in April if possible.  In addition, there is that AirBnB room that looks just like Van Gogh's room.  I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to check that out.

There is so much amazing art to see at the Art Institute that it is always worth the trip.

Saw that about a month ago on a Thursday afternoon. Not crowded at all, but when I went back to the Institute on Saturday, it was packed. Very good show, for sure.

On Friday I saw the mammoth László Maholy-Nagy retrospective at the Guggenheim. Highly recommended if you live in the NYC area or are planning to go. I learned a lot about him and his art. Definitely get the audio tour, which is included in the admission price.
Moholy-Nagy: Future Present

11 hours ago, rdavenport said:

You weren't tempted in? 

I've lived 16 miles away for 25 years and have never been! On the cards for some point in the near future. I was at lunchtime and evening concerts in The Crucible a couble of weeks back and had a large hole in between - nearly went then, but the weather was so lovely I headed for the hills. Now if it had been today....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw an exhibit of painter Louise FIshman's work at the Institute of Contemporary Art at the University of Pennsylvania.  It includes a series of very small paintings, sculptures, sketchbooks as well as some of her larger work.  Quite interesting.

http://icaphila.org/exhibitions/7957/paper-louise-tiny-fishman-rock

large_Fishman_1.jpg

Edited by alankin

A couple of weeks ago I went to the AGO and saw the Lawren Harris exhibit.  I had seen it in Boston, but they added a couple of rooms of Harris's earlier work, so it was an expanded exhibit.

Last weekend we were going to go again, both to see Harris and the Theaster Gates exhibit which just opened, but my wife was suffering from intense allergies.  We'll probably go in Sept.

Anyway, at the end of August, I'll be in New York.  There are a bunch of exhibits I plan on seeing, but really the main attraction is the Stuart Davis exhibit at the Whitney.  I have to schedule enough time for that no matter what else I see.

• 2 weeks later...