Phono Preamp for use w/computer

jazzydaddy

Hi, I am looking for a good quality phono preamp to use with my computer

to transfer my LP collection to CD-R. I have been using a freestanding

TDK CD Recorder that is connected to my home stereo unit to do the

work but I like the idea of the greater flexibility and editing offered by

converting the input directly to a WAV file.

I already have a good quality soundcard (M-Audio Audiophile 2496) nstalled

in my computer which I have been using to transfer tapes (cassette and RTR)

to WAV using the GoldWave Digital Audio Editor (great product BTW) but I know

I will need a phono preamp if I want to connect my turntable (Rega Planar) to

my computer. One preamp I have looked at is the Pro-Ject PhonoBox

(A review can be found here: http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/phonobox_e.html)

but I notice that it does not have an adjustable output control unlike my tape tecks.

With my tape decks I find I need to turn the output control all the way up to obtain

a satisfactory input volume for recording through GoldWave. I am concerned that

the line level output from the Pro-Ject would be too low for purposes of recording

through my soundcard.

Can anyone here provide some advise? Should I consider another phono preamp

for this purpose? My preferences are: 1) Cost under $100, and 2) Unit as small as possible

(I dont want to have another large box like a stereo preamp near my computer setup).

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you,

Don

What exactly is the reason that you don't want to use your existing pre-amp? Is it possible to simply wire the output to the PC and not actually move it?

This may be a silly question, but do you know how to adjust inputs within the Goldwave program, right? I would be really surprised if you have to max out your cassette input to get a decent signal - or are you not adjusting the signal using Goldwave? Seems very odd, especially since soundcards are usually very easy to overload.

That's all I got - can't recommend a pre-amp as I have an inexpensive turntable with internal pre-amp, and I simply have the turntable sitting next to the desk.

I don't know any phono preamp with gain control below $100. If the output from the preamp is too low, it can also be due to the phono cartridge's low output, since the amp has a fixed amplification factor.

I guess the output control in your tape deck is just an attenuator and not an amplifier, so it's normal that you need to turn it up to the max.

Another classic recommendation in your preferred price range is the NAD PP2:

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereotoppicks/tp/phono_pres.htm

A review of the NAD PP1: http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/nadpp1_e.html

Thanks for the suggestions Dan.

My home stereo is set up downstairs in my family room

whereas my computer is upstairs in my office so a cable

connection between the two is impractable.

Your suggestion to simply adjust the input volume within GoldWave

may be the most reasonable solution if the output from the

freestanding phono preamp (yet to be purchased) proves to

be too low with GoldWave's preset input volume. I have never

played around with the GoldWave volume settings as I have been able to

adjust the volume to acceptable levels (and quite simply) with the output

controls on my tape decks.

Don

What exactly is the reason that you don't want to use your existing pre-amp? Is it possible to simply wire the output to the PC and not actually move it?

This may be a silly question, but do you know how to adjust inputs within the Goldwave program, right? I would be really surprised if you have to max out your cassette input to get a decent signal - or are you not adjusting the signal using Goldwave? Seems very odd, especially since soundcards are usually very easy to overload.

well, for best sound I would get a good phono pre-amp, send from the pre-amp to a power amp, and go out from the power amp into an A to D converter- from here I would go digitally into your computer. This is more complicated but the sonic difference will astonish you -

Edited by AllenLowe

Thank you for your reply Claude.

Interesting that you would mention the NAD PP1/PP2 as I have a NAD 1700 Pre-Amp/Tuner

set up as part of my home stereo system and am delighted with the sound it delivers.

A really great bang for the buck unit. Perhaps I'll continue to use it and record on CD-RWs

with my TDK stand alone CD recorder and then rip the CD-RWs to WAVs on my computer?

I can't imagine the PP-1 or PP-2 can deliver the same level of sound performance as the 1700?

The review I read of the Pro-Ject PhonoBox rated it much better then the NAD PP-2.

Anyone else care to sound in?

Don

I don't know any phono preamp with gain control below $100. If the output from the preamp is too low, it can also be due to the phono cartridge's low output, since the amp has a fixed amplification factor.

I guess the output control in your tape deck is just an attenuator and not an amplifier, so it's normal that you need to turn it up to the max.

Another classic recommendation in your preferred price range is the NAD PP2:

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereotoppicks/tp/phono_pres.htm

A review of the NAD PP1: http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/nadpp1_e.html

Thanks for speaking out from the darkness Alan.

For those who may be interested here's a link to

the product recommended by Alan:

http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html#bugle

It is available from Hagerman Technologies in beautiful downtown Honolulu, HI!

(Wish I could justiy a business trip to go out there and review it in person :D )

Don

PP2 is ok but just adequate - actually the Bugle pre-amp is superior to it, at something like $150 assembled -

sincerely yours,

Allen the Invisible

Not if you hook it to your stereo system! That's the beauty of it. Line out from your stereo to your hard drive. I've been using it for over a year and love it.

I just recommended this one to our drummer. He is buying it. Thanks Chuck!

Actually, I might pick one up too... got some funky ole board tapes here.

g

• 3 weeks later...

Up, because I just bought a beee-yoo-tiful turntable from Slide_Advantage_Redoux (aka Greg), but I got no receiver or pre-amp to hook it to my computer. Yet!

So, if I'm reading this thread (and a PM from Skid I got earlier), I need to get some kind of receiver to run the turntable through, and then get the Inport program that Chuck was talking about. If so, since I want to get that Inport program, any suggestions for a cheap preamp/receiver that I can run through Inport?

Thanks!

Or, alternatively, could I just buy a tape deck with input/output jacks, and run my turntable thru that, which would then serve as the "receiver?"

No -- what you really need is a phono preamp (like those described above), plus (optionally) the Inport device.

Here's a good explanation: What does a Phono preamp do, and why do I need one?

Once the output of your turntable has been boosted to "line-level", it can be hooked up directly to the input of your PC's sound card. You would then just need some software (Goldwave, etc) to record whatever hair-band sounds of the 80's happens to be spinning that day. :P

The "Inport" bypasses your sound card altogether -- it has its own analog to digital converter, and sends digital data to the PC via a standard USB connection. The software included with the Inport is simple and easy to use, but also fairly powerful.

So, at the bare minimum, you need a phono preamp or receiver. The Inport is not required, but recommended.

• 5 weeks later...

Inport is a simple solution. It bypasses your soundcard and creates a wave file directly on your drive to play with. You can check it out HERE.

Just came back to this to get this link.

Our drummer is buying one, and my dad is seriously thinking about it. Whoever invented this thing should get an award of sorts. Great idea.

My pop tried doing the phono to cd burner deal, but was scared off by the expensive preamp idea and the cheap ones from Radio Shack sounding bad.

g

Not if you hook it to your stereo system! That's the beauty of it. Line out from your stereo to your hard drive. I've been using it for over a year and love it.

I grabbed it on Chuck's recommendation ... it really is easy to use and produces great results :tup

• 2 months later...

I should add (hopefully it's obvious): if you decide to get a receiver, make sure it has a phono input! :)

Yet another related query. My receiver just burned up or shorted out or something, and the darn thing was only 20 years old. So, I'm in the market for a new receiver. My computer and stereo are next to each other and I'm happy with my soundcard, so I really just need a receiver with a phono input. Any specific product suggestions, or suggestions on how to locate a receiver with a phono input? Interested in low to moderate price ideally - more money left to spend on CDs! TIA!

I should add (hopefully it's obvious): if you decide to get a receiver, make sure it has a phono input! :)

Well, I don't agree with that, because very few new receivers have a phono input, so this limits the choice a lot.

And it may turn out that the built-in phono input sounds worse than a $30 box bought seperately, that is more flexible because it can be used with every amplifier or receiver that you will have later.

Edited by Claude

Well, I don't agree with that, because very few new receivers have a phono input, so this limits the choice a lot.

And it may turn out that the built-in phono input sounds worse than a $30 box bought seperately, that is more flexible because it can be used with every amplifier or receiver that you will have later.

That's a good point, but I would (perhaps naively) assume that a phono input on a decent quality receiver would be better than a cheap separate box. Or not... :)

I haven't bought any new audio equipment in almost ten years. I didn't know that phono inputs aren't too common anymore, but I guess that makes sense.