Billy Harper, "Black Saint"

I've seen Billy a bunch of times - always great! My guess is that he doesn't tour with this own group because it's more profitable and easier with the Cookers. I've always enjoyed his own group, though, which also gives him a chance to stretch out a lot more.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He brought his group with Francesca Tanksley (and whatever happened to her?) and, iirc, Louie Spears & Malcolm Hinson to the DMA "Jazz Under The Stars" somewhere in the early 90(?). The opening act was a James Clay group featuring a just-happened-to-be-in-town Bobby Bradford, and Clay was so late for his own gig that they started without him. Those were the days.

Billy killed it though (as did Tanksley). And really, is one of the nicest guy to talk to I've ever encountered.

Shoot, I missed hearing about that one.

He had Eddie Henderson, Francesca Tanksley, Newman Baker, and, I think it was Spears (could have been Clarence Seay) when I saw him. Tanksley and Baker were great. I've actually been disappointed in his work in The Cookers, and generally in his work as a sideman or co-leader (that Lee Morgan album excepted). He has his own uncompromising vision which doesn't seem to necessarily translate outside of his own groups.

Man, this is a killer album.

Track 3, "Call of the Wild and Peaceful Heart" is awesome! Great work by Virgin Jones and Billy H. on that one. Joe Bonner is a great addition.

Get this cd if you don't already have it!! :tup

Virgil's an Indy guy....very good player, not well known!

m~

Virgil was a great player. I worked with him some in the 80's. He died a few years ago.

I've actually been disappointed in his work in The Cookers, and generally in his work as a sideman or co-leader (that Lee Morgan album excepted). He has his own uncompromising vision which doesn't seem to necessarily translate outside of his own groups.

I like him in the Cookers, but he's a role player - as is everyone in the group. To get the full "Billy Harper experience" it's definitely best to see him with his own group.

I've seen Billy a bunch of times - always great! My guess is that he doesn't tour with this own group because it's more profitable and easier with the Cookers. I've always enjoyed his own group, though, which also gives him a chance to stretch out a lot more.

Yes, I saw him recently with The Cookers. He was predictably brilliant...in fact the whole group were terrific, one of the best jazz concerts I've been to in years.

• 11 months later...
On 6/12/2015 at 11:37 AM, JSngry said:

He brought his group with Francesca Tanksley (and whatever happened to her?) and, iirc, Louie Spears & Malcolm Hinson to the DMA "Jazz Under The Stars" somewhere in the early 90(?). The opening act was a James Clay group featuring a just-happened-to-be-in-town Bobby Bradford, and Clay was so late for his own gig that they started without him. Those were the days.

Billy killed it though (as did Tanksley). And really, is one of the nicest guy to talk to I've ever encountered.

Strangely enough, a group with Billy Harper and Tanksley is playing this Sunday not outrageously far from me:

http://www.liveatthefalcon.com/#!160619/ccde

Never been to the venue, but may have to check this one out.

On 6/16/2016 at 7:33 AM, felser said:

Are there any of the Roach Quartet recordings with Harper that are available on CD?  I've never seen them.  I have 'Lift Every Voice and Sing', but that's a horse of a very different stripe.

I just did a bit of poking around on the web, and it looks like Harper made six records with Roach's quartet:

- Nommo (Japanese Victor)
- Live in Japan, Vol. 1: Calvary (Denon)
- Live in Japan, Vol. 2: Scott Free (Denon)
- The Loadstar (Horo)
- Live in Amsterdam (Baystate)
- Confirmation (Fluid)

I don't think ANY of these are available on CD -- which is too bad. 

At least they can be heard on YouTube. :unsure: Far from ideal. But better than nothing.

Edited by HutchFan

The Fluid side is the only one I'd not be in too big a rush to get hold of, at least not until you have all the others.

Wasn't The Loadstar booted on CD within the last year or two? Or was it just predicted as a CD and then never happened? I don't know that a CD version would have the same power, though, I mean, you get up, flip the record over, and then they start playing again, not an edit of a continuous performance, like, a real time start, stop, and begin again, like a 78 only @ 33 1/3.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

The Fluid side is the only one I'd not be in too big a rush to get hold of, at least not until you have all the others.

Wasn't The Loadstar booted on CD within the last year or two? Or was it just predicted as a CD and then never happened? I don't know that a CD version would have the same power, though, I mean, you get up, flip the record over, and then they start playing again, not an edit of a continuous performance, like, a real time start, stop, and begin again, like a 78 only @ 33 1/3.

It was only reissued on vinyl in 2012 (on the French Klimt label - not sure whether this is/was legal) .... so the only certified releases are the original Horo DoubleLP from 1977 and the japanese vinyl release from 1979 .... the CD reissue - like many other HORO related projects - never materialised ....

Edited by soulpope

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:19 PM, T.D. said:

Strangely enough, a group with Billy Harper and Tanksley is playing this Sunday not outrageously far from me:

http://www.liveatthefalcon.com/#!160619/ccde

Never been to the venue, but may have to check this one out.

I was traveling last week and regret not seeing this until now. I have been to the Falcon before and definitely would have given strong consideration to taking the drive to hear Billy Harper. Would have been a nice way to spend Father's Day.

Taking in mind Denon being a Japanese Label and this country having a history for prolific jazz reissue programmes it is somehow strange this catalogue  (which includes other not too well known goodies like for instance Mickey Tucker Trio + Sextett, Regie Workman Solo etc ....) didn't see reissue for a number of years ..... based on the rather recent Blu-Spec reissues of the japanese Three Blind Mice catalogue we can live in hope though ....

Sunday night, BH said something onstage to the effect that he had bought back rights to some recordings from the record company, motivated by lack of support. No details. My take is that there will be some reissues, but he'll release them himself. Depending on what recordings, label(s?), company(ies?), etc., a Mosaic licensing deal could be possible, but it's just speculation. (Dunno how this all relates to the fact that Amazon.com has been selling CDRs of Black Saint and In Europe.)

Edited by T.D.