Aug 15th RVGs

mgraham333

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that new Mobley cover is great! though its odd they added a BN logo to The Cooker, where the original had text. I'm not going to grab this probably as I have the Mosaic and made a single CDR of the album way before the RVG was announced. The sound on the Mosaic is a little bright, but good.

Edited by CJ Shearn

that new Mobley cover is great! though its odd they added a BN logo to The Cooker, where the original had text. I'm not going to grab this probably as I have the Mosaic and made a single CDR of the album way before the RVG was announced. The sound on the Mosaic is a little bright, but good.

Man, if I ever see that Mosaic cheap somewhere, I'm gonna snag it. Just based on THE COOKER alone!

I'd be interested in how "The Cooker" sounds in this new mastering. The JRVG says it's stereo, but it's been narrowed or folded in so much it sounds like mono. The TOCJ is nice 'n wide, with the bass sounding like it's coming from beyond the right speaker.

But I'm really interested in the the first track, "A Night In Tunisia." On all versions I've heard, the two above plus the Mosaic, the solo coda Lee does at the end features a real hard staccato note towards the end that just "pings" against the echo plate that RVG used.

I've never heard this on vinyl, so I can't say if this is a "digital" problem. But it bugs the shit out of me...I wonder if it's been tamed?

And I can't believe they altered the cover.... egads!

I'd be interested in how "The Cooker" sounds in this new mastering. The JRVG says it's stereo, but it's been narrowed or folded in so much it sounds like mono. The TOCJ is nice 'n wide, with the bass sounding like it's coming from beyond the right speaker.

This must be the JRVG mastering, because it's quite narrow, if it's in stereo at all (the altered cover says so! Gotta agree with you on that one.... bleah!) Having said that, it still sounds fantastic to these ears. And anyway, I prefer a narrower soundstage than a wide one.

But I'm really interested in the the first track, "A Night In Tunisia." On all versions I've heard, the two above plus the Mosaic, the solo coda Lee does at the end features a real hard staccato note towards the end that just "pings" against the echo plate that RVG used.

According to the note on the back of the CD case: The stereo version of this LP (BST) was issued years after the initial mono release (BLP). For the stereo master of “A Night in Tunisia” on this album and on The Best of Lee Morgan, the wrong out theme insert ending was edited onto the master take. It has been corrected for this release.

Ah, crap...now I'll have to hear it. Does anyone know if this is the only version with the corrected out theme?

I relistened to the JRVG last nite, and the ping on that last hard note is actually quite minimized. But on the TOCJ, it sounds bad.

Who's gonna step up and do all the comparisons? :w:

They had the following in a couple of stores in Dublin today;

Royal Flush

Trompeta Toccata

Another Workout

The Cooker

Might As Well Be Spring :D:D:D

but strangely no;

The Congregation :angry::angry::angry:

Anyway none, and I repeat none, had the C.C. info on the labels so.... :party::party::party:

we're back where we started and what did we gain???

Answers on a postcard....................

Who's gonna step up and do all the comparisons? :w:

That's going to be you, I'm afraid!

The TOCJ is hard panned with horns and piano on the left and bass drums right, with some seepage between channels. I'm not surprised the new edition doens't go with that. That said, the TOCJ is pretty good, IMO and I won't be getting the (ahem) 'upgrade.'

Two impressions so far.

Another Workout sounds ALOT better than the earlier CD version. The rhythm section is more distinct and the bass and drums are punchier.

The Congregation has WAY too much treble. The stereo spread is nice, but the cymbals are just plain ridiculous. I think I'll be keeping my old Conn in this case.

Take heart, my friend: very few of us ever will.

Not even if I start smoking?

Maybe. Can you blow it out your ears?

I've been told to blow it out my ass before. Does that count?

Only if it leaves nicotine stains on your pants.

MG

Those icons of cool. They're a breed apart.

I've forgotten what this bit's all about, now...

MG

In the CD booklet for Trompeta Toccata, two pages are mistakenly from the Ike Quebec release. I have the first page of Blumenthal's "A New Look at Trompeta Toccata," but the next two pages are the second page of Blumenthal's notes for the Quebec, and the song list for the Quebec. Blue Note quality control strikes again!

In the CD booklet for Trompeta Toccata, two pages are mistakenly from the Ike Quebec release. I have the first page of Blumenthal's "A New Look at Trompeta Toccata," but the next two pages are the second page of Blumenthal's notes for the Quebec, and the song list for the Quebec. Blue Note quality control strikes again!

I didn't bother to buy the RVG, rather electing to keep my JRVG mini-lp. They didn't fuck up the booklet on that! :P

I guess it is no consolation that the booklet for the Ike Quebec DOESN'T have part of the Kenny Dorham notes included.

MG