Aug 15th RVGs

mgraham333

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got three of these (Trompeta, Congregation and Spring) on JRVG. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but are they using the same remasters for the domestic RVGs?

And yeah, MG, The Congregation smokes.

-van

Van old pal,

I think it will be different remastering on those titles. Just my thought. . . no evidence or certainty.

Hey Lon!

The JRVGs were so hit or miss, I'd hope some would be re-remastered (if they were touched at all the first time). Upgrading from a domestic version is no big deal, but replacing a JRVG is a little harder to swallow. Guess I'll just have to spin them all and add a sound rating to my matrix. Goddamn jazz...

I almost know that tenor solo on the opening cut of "Congregation" by heart - what a terriffic solo! I have this as Conn LP, never managed to find the CD, so I will pick this one up.

But why aren't they first reissuing the first Griffin album? That one has been gone for much longer time...

What's "The congregation" like? That one might be another I get.

MG

Johnny Griffin and Sonny Clark at their prime! The Conn sounded blah, so hopefully the RVG will be eons better.

Spun the Conn last night and thought it sounded pretty good, great session but then you can hardly go wrong with early Griff

MG

Johnny Griffin and Sonny Clark at their prime! The Conn sounded blah, so hopefully the RVG will be eons better.

Spun the Conn last night and thought it sounded pretty good, great session but then you can hardly go wrong with early Griff

Apart from some of the stuff he did with Joe Morris, I haven't anything earlier than "The big soul band" by him. That's why I wondered about this.

MG

Two there I'm definitely interested in; the Mobley and the Quebec, which I've only got on LP.

MG

It's nice, solid, damn good. Not change-your-life good, but you-should-get-it good. :)

I wonder if Another Workout is gonna have some extra, unwanted print on the cover. Kind of hope not.

I kind of agree; I like the painting on the cover of the LP. However, if there's a previously unpublished photo of Hank... If there was ever one guy who completely had "the look".

MG

MG

as i recall, andy warhol did the cover art.

wonder what the original vinyl cover goes for these days.