Out of the Cool CD .... liner notes errors

This might have been addressed in these pages previously, but if not....

I noticed from reading the liner notes on my Impulse CD release of Gil Evans "Out of the Cool" that ROn Carter is listed as playing trombone. Does this obvious error appear on the LP? I may have the vinyl, but at the moment I am not sure.

Speaking of those liner notes, I almost need a magnifying glass to read them to begin with. :blink:

on nick drake's "bryter layter" (not exactly jazz but ray warleigh, lyn dobson, chris mcgregor on it) the brass arrangements are still listed in the credits as "bass arrangements" - must be somewhat depressing for the bass player...

Edited by Niko

I think it's Danny Thompson, who probably has other things on his mind at this point...

funny, when I posted I also thought it was Danny Thompson... but Thompson only plays on Drake's first album "Five Leaves Left" (don't have it here but I think it doesn't have any arrangements for bass section), on Bryter Layter the bass player is Dave Pegg (Fairport Convention??) and on one selection Ed Carter... I once read a (relatively old) interview with arranger Robert Kirby who really seemed to feel a little bad about getting this wrong credit, so one might think it should have been corrected by now

I knew someone was going to ask, Lazaro, and I don't recall -- except that the source was definitive. Also, if you listen closely and know Persip's style, there are some definite Persip touches. He was one hell of a drummer, especially behind a big band. If you can find it, check him out on Bill Potts' "The Jazz Soul of Porgy and Bess."

The Lord discography (version 5.0) says:

Gil Evans & Elvin Jones & La Nevada

[E3078-5] Gil Evans

Johnny Coles, Phil Sunkel (tp)

Jimmy Knepper, Keg Johnson (tb) Tony Studd (b-tb) Bill Barber (tu)

Budd Johnson (ts,sop) Bob Tricarico (bassoon,fl,pic) Ray Beckenstein (as,fl,pic)

Gil Evans (p,arr,cond) Ray Crawford (g) Ron Carter (b) Charlie Persip, Elvin Jones (d,perc)

New York, December 10 & 15, 1960

La Nevada Impulse A4, IA9340/2, MCA Impluse MCAD5653 [CD]

Some doubt exists regarding recording dates of these titles. Above dates are from Impulse IA9340/2.

All titles on Impulse A4 also on MCA 5653 and Jasmine JA552.

All titles on Impulse IA9340/2 also on Impulse (Jap)MVCI-23032 [CD].

The liner notes to the Impulse vinyl has a graph identifying the microphones used for the various players. Charles Persip's drumming was captured with an Altec 650 while Elvin Jones had a Tele 40-KM over his kit.

Oh yes, Persip was one hell of a drummer!

And Ron Carter was listed on bass.