CONCORD SALE

Morganized

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

c47966vv0pm.jpg

Earl Hines - Another Monday Date

This is actually two dates -- a quartet (Hines, Eddie Duran-guitar, Dean Reilly-bass, Earl Watkins-drums), and a solo session.

Recorded for Fantasy 1955-1956; the "sympathetic quartet setting" surveys the music of Fats Waller, while the solo session includes many originals made famous in the '20s and '30s.

Very nice record! Best "new" find for me so far, second only to the Ellington Suites.

Over the past week, I have listened a lot to Teddy Charles' New Directions CD, mostly in the car. I like it a lot.

It is 16 songs taken from three unrelated sessions from 1951, '52 and '53. Sidemen include Jimmy Raney, Hall Overton and Ed Shaughnessy.

Seven of the first eight songs are standards. Most of the remaining eight are what for the time would have been considered artsy.

Amazingly, this sale provided me with my first listen ever to Wes Montgomery's "Full House". I never really got into Wes' music, but this record was a revelation. Really excellent stuff! Some of the best Johnny Griffin I've ever heard on record.

Amazingly, this sale provided me with my first listen ever to Wes Montgomery's "Full House". I never really got into Wes' music, but this record was a revelation. Really excellent stuff! Some of the best Johnny Griffin I've ever heard on record.

Check out Wes' "Complete Live in Paris" on Definitive. 2 discs of terrific live Wes, including some tracks with Johnny Griffin. :tup

I am listening to Miles 'Bags Groove'. I have listened to these sides for years, but since the tracks with Sonny are some of my favourite all time sessions, I decided to upgrade to the K2.

WOW!!!!! :excited::excited::excited:

Its amazing what they did to these sides sonically. They have a definition and clarity that doesnt exist in any other version I have heard, including the OJC. They sound like they were recorded yesterday. An amazing find.

I am listening to Miles 'Bags Groove'. I have listened to these sides for years, but since the tracks with Sonny are some of my favourite all time sessions, I decided to upgrade to the K2.

Its amazing what they did to these sides sonically. They have a definition and clarity that doesnt exist in any other version I have heard, including the OJC. They sound like they were recorded yesterday. An amazing find.

You should get the "complete Prestige recordings" by Mr Monk. K2 reissues of all his Prestige recordings including the full Bags Groove session. Keep the cd you have for the session with Rollins.

You should get the "complete Prestige recordings" by Mr Monk. K2 reissues of all his Prestige recordings including the full Bags Groove session. Keep the cd you have for the session with Rollins.

Some of the truest stuff that Mr. Nessa has said. I love the Monk Prestige box set.

Some of the truest stuff that Mr. Nessa has said. I love the Monk Prestige box set.

how strange! i just picked up the monk prestige box set! it is GREAT!!!

:)

Which individual K2's make up the Prestige box set? The box set also includes alternate takes, I assume?

No individual domestic K2s, just regular OJCs.

Thelonious Monk - Prestige P-7027/OJC OJCCD 010-2

B000000Y0E.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115651141_.jpg

Monk - Prestige P-7053/OJC OJCCD-016-2

B000000Y0R.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V60022957_.jpg

Thelonious Monk/Sonny Rollins - Prestige P-7075/OJC OJCCD 059-2

B000000Y3Q.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115745521_.jpg

plus extra material.

AMG review of The Complete Prestige Recordings

Edited by J.A.W.

And now an RVG. Which I think sounds very good.

I really like the Prestige material more and more as time goes by and more listening gets done. I wish there were more trio recordings by Monk of any and all vintage.

Edited by jazzbo

A couple of weeks ago, I got the Complete Monk Prestige box--with K2 discs but sans booklet--from Zweitausendeins for something like 6 Euros (and couw has kindly prepared inserts for this box with all the discographical information). Don't know if it's still available, but it might be worth a look.

ok, i'm trying to stick with my budget for cds so i've been holding to place my order with them. yesterday i just placed an order with several K2s and some SACDs too.

just a little question for the ones who already ordered and received discs from them. how good they are filling the order?

even if i get all the K2s on my order i will still miss something close to 20 titles. any other leads on finding K2s?

Marcus

ok, i'm trying to stick with my budget for cds so i've been holding to place my order with them. yesterday i just placed an order with several K2s and some SACDs too.

just a little question for the ones who already ordered and received discs from them. how good they are filling the order?

even if i get all the K2s on my order i will still miss something close to 20 titles. any other leads on finding K2s?

Marcus

Marcus, check this thread for discussion of Concord deliveries:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...8102&st=600

(not that I ordered anything, but the thread was about something else, before taking that twist...)