cybermusic sale

Stefan Wood

Guest Chaney

I know where there is a copy of one of the Rivers/Holland cd's (used), here in Portland, for about $8.50. However, I'm leaving town to go to the Bahamas B) tomorrow. If anyone really wants this, I may be able to call and have them hold it.

WHAT A GUY!

You're a prince but personally, I'll track these two down as they really aren't impossible to find as are some titles, just difficult. (<--- Speaking of confusingly worded sentences, Lon. :winky: )

Have a nice trip!

Edited by Chaney

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike a LOT of younger guys who go for that old-school thing, Shelley comes by it COMPLETELY honestly.

The last two times I heard him play in Dallas say COMPLETELY otherwise. Please tell me you're joking, Jim.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Does he grandstand and/or go cattin' sometimes? Sure. But THAT'S part of the tradition too, like it or not. To come from that background and NOT get a little, uh, "exhibitionistic" sometimes would be fraudulent!

It's real music, not a recital. As someone who has spent a moment or two hanging with Shelley away from "the stage", away from "fans", just musician and musician, let me assure you - he's as real as they come. Realer than most, in fact!

Jim, I've "hung" with Shelley several times myself, around 12 years ago, and remember him as a lively, funny, down-to-earth guy. But I'm talking about his playing. When I heard him play again, 3 years ago and again last year, the fiery young dude had been almost fully replaced by an exhibitionist, as you suggested. His sets were devoid of anything that resembled the shit he blew when he was fresh from UNT and his stint with the Ellington Orchestra.

I just couldn't understand how the same Shelley could build a set of music with such slough. Hell, his climax was a schmaltzy take of "Just the Two of Us" on soprano (one that would make even George Howard uneasy), followed by "I Will Always Love You."

I didn't mention "tradition" in my post, but since you bring it up, maybe you could explain the roots of the above?

I just couldn't understand how the same Shelley could build a set of music with such slough.  Hell, his climax was a schmaltzy take of "Just the Two of Us" on soprano (one that would make even George Howard uneasy), followed by "I Will Always Love You." 

I didn't mention "tradition" in my post, but since you bring it up, maybe you could explain the roots of the above?

Easy - playing for the people. It's a hazardous by-product of coming up in a community and a time where "everyday people" hung out in jazz joints. Now that they don't, jazz is a lot healthier. No doubt...

Ok, Shelley can be a ham sometimes. But he knows it. TOTALLY knows it. The thing is, he genuinely LIKES connecting with an audience. If some of the means he uses to do so are "questionable" from an "artistic" standpoint (and I'll not argue that point), that's just a part of who he is. Like I said, he's one of the most real people I know, and reality is seldom, if ever, wart-free. Especially the reality of playing for, not to, the people. If they made Freezone in a 50 gallon drum...

Personality "quirks" aside, the cat can play "real jazz" fabulously anytime he wants to. ANYTIME. Too bad you missed some of the jam sessions he's led recently in an Exposition Park club. No BS, just music. But that's a different scene than a restaurant masquerading as a jazz club. If he feels either the personal or financial need to cheese it up sometimes in certain circumstances, I don't begrudge him that one bit. Not me. It's his life, his career, his bills to pay, and until he loses his core (and believe me, he ain't NOWHERES close to doing that. In fact, if there's somebody one can safely say will probably ALWAYS be who they are no matter what, it's Shelley Carrol), he's alright with me. MORE than alright, in fact.

Edited by JSngry

Got this e-mail after my order of 29 was reduced to 20:

Please accept our apologies for the stock outages on your order.

Unfortunately, without a "real-time" inventory on the site, sometimes

we'll get two orders for a single item, both customers will be notified

that it is available, but the item will go to the first customer who

ordered it.

This seems to happen especially often with the Black Saint/Soul

Note titles, because they are so popular. It's not unheard of for one

copy to come back on a return and for us to receive five or six

orders for the single copy.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or

concerns, and, again, we're sorry for the stock outages.

Best regards,

Justine Seidel

Internet Manager

Allegro/CyberMusic Surplus

I've had no problems with CMS/Allegro other than this recurring one, and truthfully, it happens at lots of sites. "Real time inventory" seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Greetings Jazz lovers. I come waving a white flag and hoping it's alright to post here. We sincerely regret the stock outages that result from our non real-time web inventory. Oftentimes--and especially during a sale--we're getting more than one order for a single item.

This happens especially often with the Black Saint/Soul Note titles, because they are so popular and so many are now out-of-print. What happens is one copy comes back on a return, we receive five or six orders for that single copy and the website doesn't reflect the outage until the nightly roll occurs and the inventory is uploaded the following morning.

I know it sucks, and since our server is now inhouse, we will be implementing an upload more than once per day. This should alleviate many of the outage problems, but it's still going to happen from time to time, especially during the two annual sales (August & Holiday Season).

Again, sorry for all the trouble our rather unsophisticated system causes. We're no Amazon. We're just 2 people running the mail order department at Allegro.

Also, I'm happy to combine Allegro & Cyber orders. Simply email me the two order numbers and I'll notify our shipping dept. to combine them and waive shipping costs on one.

One more thing: onesie/twosies of the Classics roll in on returns and get swiped up quick. Bookmark a Classics label search--there's only three "available" right now:

http://www.cybermusicsurplus.com/label_sea...h.asp?label=CLC

Justine

Really, unless you pass up a chance to buy an item somewhere else and go back to find it's gone, what have you got to lose? I didn't have a CD of SHADES before I ordered, I didn't have one when the on-line order told me it was in stock, and I still didn't have one when they told me it was unavailable. Can't miss what you never had.

It's not like they charge your card before the order gets filled. I just look at it like, "Well, I ordered the max I could afford, now let's see how much it's gonna ACTUALLY cost me". Inevitably, I still get a LOT of stuff, and just have to continue hunting for things that didn't get filled.

Some fish you land, some get away, and some you never hook.

Thanks for weighing in Justine! I've gotten great customer service from cybermusicsurplus.com over the years and usually in the form of an email from Justine. This is a great place to do business with and I'm darned glad they're about.

It can take a bit of time to hear about an order so a little patience is sometimes needed. . . and usually rewarded well.