Soprano sax

Nate Dorward

Don Rendell has just been mentioned, and his soprano playing is very good, indeed!

Yes King Ubu - I was thinking of his soprano playing on the Rendell/Carr LPs, which is very fine indeed. Lovely clear tone he gets.

He plays some soprano on that Carr/Rendell/someone else Universal reissue as well, doesn't he? "Greek Variations" is the title, can't remember who the headliners are.

Yep - Neil Ardley's 'Greek Variations'. Suite featuring the Rendell/Carr group (just prior to their breakup around 1970). Great album - reissued on CD by Universal !

Some interesting comments here. I guess I should make clear that I wasn't expressing a dislike of the instrument or of the many notable players who either specialize in it or else are convincing doublers on it--it was more that I'm very irritated & not a little mystified by the number of saxophonists who insist on playing it when they are markedly less secure or individual on it than on their main axe--& then a lot of these CDs end up in my lap as a reviewer.......

Bloom's OK (& I always mentally pair her with Jane Bunnett, though I think from what little I know of their music I prefer Bloom).

A general question, in two parts:

1) why do 90% of sax doublers sound rotten on soprano?

and

2) why do they nonetheless insist on playing it?

I can't help thinking (in answer to #2) that it's to prove their versatility. They could prove it a lot more convincingly by playing good piano, or excellent drums, or even tasteful trumpet (Benny Carter comes to mind here.) They probably don't sound good on soprano sax for the obvious reason: Not enough practice. I suspect the insrument demands real dedication to play properly.

• 2 weeks later...

I was reminded of this thread today when I started listening to Gary Bartz' Soprano Stories, which was released on his own OYO Records label. As the title suggests, Bartz plays soprano exclusively as opposed to his main horn the alto. I am another one of those listeners that has found few soprano saxophonists that I enjoy, but I am trying to listen with open ears because I am a very big fan of Bartz in general.

Felt obligated to report that after listening to the entire disc once through, I enjoyed Bartz' playing on Soprano Stories. To Chuck's point of mastery of the instrument - Bartz has definately mastered the soprano, playing with the same passion and creativity that he does on the alto. Different tone, same talent. Recommended.