Beggars Banquet

Let it Bleed

Sticky Fingers

Exile on Main Street

Some Girls

Tattoo You

A Bigger Bang

Thanks for your feedback.

"Aftermath" is the most glaring omission. It is obviously essential, I would say.

I also believe that the first four studio albums, "England's Newest Hitmakers/The Rolling Stones":, "12x5", "Rolling Stones Now", and "December's Children", are essential. There are too many excellent cuts on those albums not contained on "Hot Rocks".

"Flowers" repeats some songs from other albums but has enough solid new material to be essential to a fan.

The rest is a matter of personal taste. There are those who really like some of the other albums. I tend to think that the others are all a notch below the ones you and I have now mentioned.

Does "A Bigger Bang" belong on that list? I've tried a couple of other later-era RS releases, only to find a few great tracks and alot of filler. Maybe Bang is worth checking out (?).

I think "A Bigger Bang" is vastly superior to "Bridges to Babylon" and "Voodoo Lounge", which are the only two post-Tattoo You albums I've heard. But I don't think its on the level of their great early seventies albums. But then again, not much is.

I'd pick these:

The Rolling Stones (their first)

12X5

Out of Our Heads (U.S. version)

December's Children

The Rolling Stones, Now!

Aftermath (U.K. version)

Between the Buttons (U.K. version)

Beggars Banquet

Let It Bleed

Sticky Fingers

Exile on Main St.

I'd pick these:

12X5

December's Children

The Rolling Stones, Now!

Aftermath (U.K. version)

Beggars Banquet

Let It Bleed

Sticky Fingers

Exile on Main St.

Oh yes! "Out of Our Heads"! That one is great, and clearly essential. I had missed one!

I'd pick these:

12X5

December's Children

The Rolling Stones, Now!

Aftermath (U.K. version)

Beggars Banquet

Let It Bleed

Sticky Fingers

Exile on Main St.

Plus these compilations:

Hot Rocks

More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies)

Looks like I need to go back and check out those early studio releases. I thought that "Hot Rocks" pretty much had the essential material from that period covered. Looks like I was wrong!

Back in the vinyl days I was sorta in the same place as you, only I also picked up More Hot Rocks too, and later added the earlier issues. Aftermath is the most glaring omission, but like the others have noted, those early albums are really good too (especially 12 X 5 after Aftermath, and everything before that, especially Out Of Our Heads.) It is like Beatles in some respects in that you really do want it all thorugh Sticky Fingers...um, 'cept if it was Beatles it'd be Let It Be! I'd add that if the price is right (as in cheap cheap cheap) if you can get Goat's Head Soup or *maybe* even It's Only Rock & Roll or maybe even find Undercover used they *might* worth picking up. Goat's Head & Undercover only competing vs. the latest release or Tattoo You sort of thing, and again for only $4 or $5 a disc. And what the hell, if you don't have More Hot Rocks, if you find Satinic Majesty's Request at the right price, you may need that too, even without the 3D cover. What the heck, you did acid in college right? :g

edit - If it isn't obvious, I am posting while tipsy, so toss this advice accordingly. ;)

Edited by Quincy

Guest sailor

Not a studio album but great compilation.

The vinyl box set of The Rolling Stones Singles Collection: The London Years which contains

the bluesy instrumental Stoned.

Edited by sailor

Looks like I need to go back and check out those early studio releases. I thought that "Hot Rocks" pretty much had the essential material from that period covered. Looks like I was wrong!

And while you're at it, as long as you may be picking up the albums like 12 X 5, Out of Our Heads, Aftermath, Between the Buttons, etc., you should try to pick up the digipak SACD's. These are also available as redbook remasters in jewel cases, but the SACD's in digipaks (they're not labeled otherwise) are generally very good.

Fully in agreement with Hans' recs.

For me Aftermath is their greatest album, followed by Between the Buttons. All of the early pre 65 is good too. Particularly Red Rooster. That was the first time I'd ever heard that.

Goin' Home on Aftermath ranks up there for me.

Not mentioned here but Their Satanic Majesties Request while ok was just a Sgt. Pepper clone, not really worth buying.

Edited by Brad

Fully in agreement with Hans' recs.

For me Aftermath is their greatest album, followed by Between the Buttons. All of the early pre 65 is good too. Particularly Red Rooster. That was the first time I'd ever heard that.

Goin' Home on Aftermath ranks up there for me.

Not mentioned here but Their Satanic Majesties Request while ok was just a Sgt. Pepper clone, not really worth buying.

Almost agreed up and down the line except for "Between The Buttons" I really didn't care for it and as I recalled neither did Jagger.

Just different tastes, but I've always liked Between the Buttons - seemed like The Stones making a pop/rock & roll record, as opposed to their r&b/rock & roll stuff up to that point. I hear Procul Harum, The Kinks, The Yardbirds, Dylan, Ian Whitcomb (!), even The New Vaudeville Band (!) - all that stuff was in the air in 1966 - influences on Buttons, and it still comes out as The Rolling Stones.

(Not sure if "Winchester Cathedral" was pre or post Between the Buttons - if it was pre, that's another case of bad music influencing good music.)

• 7 years later...

Not a studio album but great compilation.

The vinyl box set of The Rolling Stones Singles Collection: The London Years which contains

the bluesy instrumental Stoned.

It also contains the single versions of "Honky Tonk Woman" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and the Mick Jagger single of

"Memo From Turner" with Ry Cooder on slide guitar. Probably other singles that were never on Lp that I don't know about. Great compilation with terse but informative notes.