BILLY HIGGINS w/Teddy Edwards Qt

oh sorry chewy-chew-chew here again: forgot 2 mention the beat is very similar to what billy did on "sidewinder", except the tempos more up. i would be VERY suprised if this predates the sidewinder......is rec. info known for this item?

This was done as part of the session for Teddy Edwards' "Sunset Eyes" (rec. late 1959-early 1960), but not included on the LP. The personnel is Teddy Edwards (ts), Joe Castro (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b), Billy Higgins (d/vo). The original 45 reads:

BILLY HIGGINS - Vocal & drums

with the TEDDY EDWARDS QUARTET

The flip side is "Up In Teddy's New Flat" billed as the Teddy Edwards Quartet. This track is on the LP.

"The Sidewinder" was recorded 12/21/63.

1960!?!??! that is very suprising considering---

i always gave billy the MOST credit for what made the sidewinder so great, but this new info. serves as offical proof.

Have you guys w/ the discog. info actually heard this at all, im suprised it hasnt been reissued, it's BILLY after all

out of all the dead jazz musicans billy seems the most alive still to me, chewy-chew-chew. it seems like just last weekend i saw him play with charles lloyd, or phaorah sanders, sitting 3 ft. away.

DID MASTER HIGGINS REC. ANY MORE EARLY STUFF ON THE WEST COAST, (NOTWITHSTANDING OF COURSE ALL THE ORNETTE STUFF, etc...i mean on pac. jazz, etc.....)???

Have you guys w/ the discog. info actually heard this at all, im suprised it hasnt been reissued, it's BILLY after all

I have the 45 - got the info from a discography. I wonder if Cuscuna intentionally didn't include it as part of the PJ CD reissue because it's somewhat of an R&B record, or perhaps he didn't know about it. (Unlikely, he's got access to the same discographies we all have).

Interesting. I'm beginning to wonder whether there are other PJ 45s that never made it to vinyl or CD. This one sounds intriguing and a while back I picked up Jackie Davis-Harold Land, Blowin' The Blues (I think the flip side made it out on record). Are there any other such orphans that might be worth tracking down?

Thanks to Chewy for mentioning this ... it led me to do a Teddy Edwards search which turned up a late 90s DIW session, sealed, Greg Cohen was the leader but it features Teddy and Wig. $8 plus shipping from Canada. That's a pretty good deal for GEMM. :g

Interesting. I'm beginning to wonder whether there are other PJ 45s that never made it to vinyl or CD.

I have a stereo World Pacific 45 coupling Georgia On My Mind (Johnny Mandel Orchestra featuring Art Pepper) with Hooray For Love (Bill Holman Orchestra featuring Bud Shank). Georgia appeared as a bonus track on the Hoagy Carmichael cd in mono. I don't think Hooray has been reissued. I believe it comes from the session(s) that produced WP 1250 by David Allyn. Both of these tracks are under 2 minutes and are probably edited from full performances with the vocals removed. BTW, Shank plays bari on his feature.

Many years ago Gerry MacDonald (recording engineer and founder of Choice Records) told me worked for Concord, an early manufacturer of reel to reel tape recorders. He said Dick Bock let him set up his machine at several PJ sessions and do experimental stereo recording while Bock recorded in mono. One project he mentioned was the Carmichael. He said he still had all the tapes and considered them "his". In fact at one point he offered to sell them to me.

My mate has, buried somewhere in his house, a great 45 on Aura (a PJ subsidiary) by the Sonny Knight Combo (:D) - "Let's get it on" pts 1 & 2. This was recorded many years before Marvin Gaye wrote an entirely different tune by the same name. It's a rocking, surging, jazz organ instrumental, rather along the lines of Billy Larkin & the Delegates, who also recorded for Aura.

MG

chewy is happy other people are interested in this 45 and Pacific Jazz in general. is master higgins on that whole "sunset eyes" album? still waiting for confirmation about billy on other west coast jazz stuff too--- (eg. besides ornette)

Red Mitchell date on Contemporary with James Clay and Lorraine Geller recorded March 26, 1957. This might have been my introduction to Billy.

Two cuts on the Metro Jazz LP E-1011, Sonny Rollina at Music Inn/Teddy Edwards at Falcon's Lair. They do a ROLLIKING "Bille's Bounce" and "A Foggy Day". It's a very lively recording. I'll bet there were at one time a couple of HOURS of this material on tape--I wonder if the masters exist?

This is one smokin' band--Teddy Edwards, Joe Castro, Leroy Vinnegar and Billy Higgins.

08_1.JPG

Two cuts on the Metro Jazz LP E-1011, Sonny Rollina at Music Inn/Teddy Edwards at Falcon's Lair. They do a ROLLIKING "Bille's Bounce" and "A Foggy Day". It's a very lively recording. I'll bet there were at one time a couple of HOURS of this material on tape--I wonder if the masters exist?

This is one smokin' band--Teddy Edwards, Joe Castro, Leroy Vinnegar and Billy Higgins.

08_1.JPG

Wow! I never HEARD of that! Live. Never reissued, I suppose.

MG

08_1.JPG

There is an alternate cover for this, no? I feel like I've seen another issue.

Also, wasn't Higgins on an Elmo Hope LP from the late '50s, or am I just stoned?