Dorham Trompeta Toccata booklet misprint

Evonce

This problem was mentioned in the RVG thread, but I'd like to place a separate query: does anyone know how to get these misprinted booklets replaced? Seems some unrelated pages (for a different album) snuck into this RVG's booklet. Blue Note's site is of no help yet, unlesss they've got the answer in the basement behind the door labeled Beware Of Leopard. Meanwhile, the music is good...

Would e-mailing the Mosaic general info e-mail address be of any help?? If one specifically addresses MC by name (in the body of the e-mail), doesn't he typically get the message?

(He has in every case I can think of personally -- I usually have one or two inquiries of him per year.)

That'd be my suggestion.

Edit: Only one or two people need to e-mail him - and report back what the procedure for replacement books might be. (I don't have a crapped up copy (at least not yet), so I suggest somebody who actually has one should be the one to e-mail MC about it.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Why bother MC with this? It's a Blue Note cd reissue which he just produced. Nothing to do with Mosaic so please email BN in the US to fix this and NOT MC.

Agreed -- except BN won't ever respond, and MC has at least passed along info to us about cases like this before.

(Didn't he provide the replacement info for the bungled mastering of the RVG of "Dialogue" a few years ago??)

Unless I've got my wires crossed, I think MC has been helpful in some situations like this in the past.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

My booklet doesn't have this error, but it does credit Donald Byrd with writing "Mamacita"....

Meanwhile, this might be my favorite Kenny Dorham session. Tommy Flanagan sounds great, and Joe Henderson plays his ass off as usual. The proceedings seem to inspire Kenny's playing quite a bit.

Why bother MC with this? It's a Blue Note cd reissue which he just produced. Nothing to do with Mosaic so please email BN in the US to fix this and NOT MC.

That's not so easy as Blue Note decided to take down all contact data and the

old "product suggestions/feedback" form from their website at some point.

My booklet doesn't have this error, but it does credit Donald Byrd with writing "Mamacita"....

Same here. I got the European version and except for the Donald Byrd

mistake mentioned the booklet is fine. Which reminds me that I should try

to get a replacement for my misprinted Out To Lunch booklet at some point...

I have the 1988 CD reissue which still have the liner notes that Nat Hentoff wrote for the original release.

What do you mean "still"? The original notes are included in the new RVG booklet

before the usual Bob Blumenthal essay that puts the album into a historical perspective.

This composer credit stuff drived me up the wall. I've been busting my butt all these years (less so since my son was born), scouring the card catalog and the copyright deposits at the Library of Congress trying to straighten these things out, ESPECIALLY the Blue Note copyrights. When I find something out of direct importance to BN (e.g. that 'Trapped' is really by Wayne Shorter, or that 'Riggar Mortes' is really by Lee Morgan, or that 'The Way I Feel' is really by Butch Warren), I send it on to MC. It then gets fixed on the next reissue, but other more obvious mistakes then creep in, like attributing 'The Gigolo' to Cahn/Styne or now "Mamacita' to Donald Byrd.

How the hell do these things happen? How do they straighten it out in terms of dispensing the royalties? I have a nagging feeling that all royalties related to the title track of The Gigolo on the new RVG will go to Cahn/Styne, and not the Lee Morgan estate. This is not just a matter of typos - there's money involved.

:angry:

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I have the 1988 CD reissue which still have the liner notes that Nat Hentoff wrote for the original release.

What do you mean "still"? The original notes are included in the new RVG booklet

before the usual Bob Blumenthal essay that puts the album into a historical perspective.

The 1988 CD reissue had the Nat Hentoff liner notes that were on the back cover of the original vinyl issue.

My vinyl copy of 'Toccata' is the mono original. Bought the CD reissue when it came out to listen to the stereo version.

When I want to listen to the session, I stick to the mono vinyl!

I'm staying away from any other reissue!

How the hell do these things happen? How do they straighten it out in terms of dispensing the royalties? I have a nagging feeling that all royalties related to the title track of The Gigolo on the new RVG will go to Cahn/Styne, and not the Lee Morgan estate. This is not just a matter of typos - there's money involved.

Well, they DID get it right on the tray card. The mistake is just in the booklet.

Who knows what they'll use to determine where to send royalties.

But seriously, how can stuff like this happen at all? :blink:

The 1988 CD also had a famous error - the spine had the album title spelt as Trumpeta Toccata. I guess the one constant in the various reissue series over the last 20 years is the Blue Note quality control!

Didn't realize this! Probably because 'trumpet' is 'trompette' in French.

Not that big mistake a by later days BN standars!

This composer credit stuff drived me up the wall. I've been busting my butt all these years (less so since my son was born), scouring the card catalog and the copyright deposits at the Library of Congress trying to straighten these things out, ESPECIALLY the Blue Note copyrights. When I find something out of direct importance to BN (e.g. that 'Trapped' is really by Wayne Shorter, or that 'Riggar Mortes' is really by Lee Morgan, or that 'The Way I Feel' is really by Butch Warren), I send it on to MC. It then gets fixed on the next reissue, but other more obvious mistakes then creep in, like attributing 'The Gigolo' to Cahn/Styne or now "Mamacita' to Donald Byrd.

:angry:

Bertrand.

Was just listening to JMac's Hipnosis 2ferLP, which lists "Blues For Jackie" composer unknown. Sounds obviously like KD to me. Maybe this was credited in later editions.

Edited by Michael Weiss