Attention Dave Holland Fans

etherbored

DH has been out of my loop for a long time. He went "soft" a while back.

I've tried a few of his recent ECM discs and was bored by all of them. No thanks.

You can say that again. I bought the Live at Birdland double disc and got double burned!

The only saving grace was Billy Klison and then DH replaced him.

Never trust the critics.

I'm sure I'll pick this up, but that cover is awful. Like his most recent release with the Big Band. :tdown

I was gonna say "cool cover" but I guess i won't bother now! :lol:

:D

Still looks like someone created during a 10 minute session with a pretty simple computer program, to me...

Doesn't the title says 'Attention Dave Holland fans"?

Personally, I love most of his work. My favorite parts are Chris Potter and Billy Kilson though, so we shall. I cant imagine anyone being bored by his music. Those trombone-sax intertwining solos are absolutely thrilling.

to each his own.

I saw the DH BB on the last North Sea Jazz Festival of the Hague one year ago with the new drummer Nate Smith........He knocked me down big time what a terific drummer that is!!! Much better imo than Billy K. so I'm really excited about this new release wich has Nate on it.

Doesn't the title says 'Attention Dave Holland fans"?

Personally, I love most of his work. My favorite parts are Chris Potter and Billy Kilson though, so we shall. I cant imagine anyone being bored by his music. Those trombone-sax intertwining solos are absolutely thrilling.

to each his own.

I'm assuming this is directed at me. Yes, you're right, it says Attention Dave Holland fans. I am a fan. Which is why I am disappointed in his most recent work. If I wasn't a fan, I wouldn't bother listening.

To each his own, indeed.

Just to add to the fun, here's an excerpt from a Jazz Times "Before and After" session:

Dave Holland Big Band "Bring It On"

from Overtime on Dare2.

Antonio Hart, Mark Gross, Chris Potter, Gary Smulyan, saxophones; Robin Eubanks, Jonathan Arons, Josh Roseman, trombones; Taylor Haskins, Alex Sipiagin, Duane Eubanks, trumpets, flugelhorns; Steve Nelson, vibes; Billy Kilson, drums; Dave Holland, bass, composer. Recorded in 2002.

Misha Mengelberg's Comments:

Oh, Dave. I know Dave. I've played with that guy, and he's not a bad bass player. He should be forbidden to do anything himself. He should act on the impulses of other people. He's a sideman. That's what he's good at. He is the bass player who should be given a task in life, not one who should invent his own stories.

Larry Applebaum:

He leads one of the most successful groups in jazz.

Mengelberg: But what does the most successful group in jazz mean? Those are the groups I never listen to. It's not very commercial, but it has a tendency to commerce that is undeniable, I think. And it's not fun at all. It's antifun.

Misha! ouch. funny.

I like Holland's band, though I think it can get a little monochromatic over the course of so many releases. Steve Nelson is always incredible though. Points of View is really exellent. Personally, I'm heartened by the absence of Kilson, who has a real "gunning for the cheap seats" thing going, particularly when I've seen him live. it's painful. his solos were perversely comical at times...like the drummer equivalent of Charnett Moffett or something. as above: to each his own. I've only heard Nate Smith once, w/ Chris Potter recently. he sounded good.

"Jumpin' In" -- which predates this particular group but is somewhat similar -- is a personal favorite.

nathan

Did you like his group w/Steve Coleman?

Guy

I'll second the question (and to whom the question is directed). Or to be more specific, Chuck, how about the Holland groups with both Coleman and Kenny Wheeler??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Did you like his group w/Steve Coleman?

Guy

I'll second the question (and to whom the question is directed). Or to be more specific, Chuck, how about the Holland groups with both Coleman and Kenny Wheeler??

Heard most Holland dates and don't actually own anything from the last 30 years. Heard them "live" too.

First heard him in person with Miles in 1968. He was very fine.

I think he has been an amazing player and tried to assemble a recording session with Warne, Dave and Barry to follow All Music. Never happened for any reason beyond my finances at the time. Dave and Barry said yes and Warne said "it has possibilities" but ultimately I didn't. :(

I've tried a few of his recent ECM discs and was bored by all of them. No thanks.

Greg, his earlier releases are much better IMHO. His duo recordings with Sam Rivers are outstanding.

I know. I have been meaning to get any of those that I can find

• 1 month later...

I've been spinning "Critical Mass" lately and I really dig this side. It may not be the best of Holland's 5tet but it's very solid and very enjoyable. What strikes me the most is "the togetherness" of the 5tet. They really understand each other almost telepathically.

The songs are nice and some of them are quite catchy. Holland is not the all-powerful leader some leaders of his stature tend to become. There is no one player who outshines the others in this album, and no one player is given an extra play-time over his compadres. Every member of the 5tet gets a chance to show his writing skills as well as his playing skills.

The diversity of the writers on this album also indicate the diversity of the music.

I really like Chris Potter's playing in this album, especially his Soprano sax. Steve Nelson is always a pleasure to listen to, whether on vibes or on marimba and Robin Eubanks turns out some really meaty solos.

All in all - a really good one!