Charles Earland Black Talk RVG

monkboughtlunch

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, so based on these reviews, I decided to pick this one up, and I guess it hasn't blown me away yet. I want it to, because it has a great line-up. After a couple of spins though, I'm still waiting for this one to kick in. Being a fan of Patton, Young and L. Smith, I figured that Earland would be a nice addition, and this is in fact my first exposure to him. Am I missing something? Great sound by the way.

Ok, so based on these reviews, I decided to pick this one up, and I guess it hasn't blown me away yet. I want it to, because it has a great line-up. After a couple of spins though, I'm still waiting for this one to kick in. Being a fan of Patton, Young and L. Smith, I figured that Earland would be a nice addition, and this is in fact my first exposure to him. Am I missing something? Great sound by the way.

It's hard to make someone like a musician's style. I guess I would just suggest listening to it on it's own without measuring it against anything else. It is a classic. Earland has a distinctive and hard-driving style all his own. I'm a real fan of this record and what Earland does is on it downright masterful imho. The Age Of Aquarius is my favorite cut outside of his hit More Today Than Yesterday. Give it a chance to sink in.

what did u mean on pg 1 when you said the title cut is the beatles in disguise?!?

Not a very good disguise - "Eleanor Rigby".

MG

Maybe I'm completely tone deaf but I've heard this comment before about the track Black Talk and I just can't place it. They even admit on the LP's sleeve notes that the song was lifted from "Eleanor Rigby" but I can't for the life of me hear it. I must have a blind spot but I simply don't hear any similarity. Am I the only one or are there others out there? And if I am tone deaf, how come I perfer Earland to Phil Collins..??

It's the changes and structure of "Rigby" with a different melody on the top - just like all those bop songs that used "Indiana" or "How High the Moon."

Thanks. I understand now even if I don't "see" it. You must be a musician like the guy who wrote the sleeve notes. A humble listener-only like me goes straight to the melody and never thinks to analyse the music "structurally". It's a whole new way of looking at it, or rather it's like another language. I would NEVER had noticed that the structure of Black Talk resembles the structure of Eleanor Rigby - not in the a million years!

Edited by K1969

It's the changes and structure of "Rigby" with a different melody on the top - just like all those bop songs that used "Indiana" or "How High the Moon."

Exactly, its called a contrafact. Those "boppers" were either lazy, or an extremely practical bunch! Can't decide which... ;)

One way to figure it out would be to hum the melody of "Rigby" as "Black Talk" is playing - it fits right in. (Sometimes it's easier to spot the original during the improvisation - the changes stick out more - a good example would be the lead tune on Art Blakey's "Night At Birdland" - a Horace Silver tune, "Quicksilver" - once the melody is over and the solos begin, you can figure out what original song the Silver one is based on.)

One way to figure it out would be to hum the melody of "Rigby" as "Black Talk" is playing - it fits right in. (Sometimes it's easier to spot the original during the improvisation - the changes stick out more - a good example would be the lead tune on Art Blakey's "Night At Birdland" - a Horace Silver tune, "Quicksilver" - once the melody is over and the solos begin, you can figure out what original song the Silver one is based on.)

The back of the RVG says that this is the case: "The young organist Charles Earland converted the Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby" into an anthem called "Black Talk""

Guest donald petersen

host, i enjoy some earland albums but wouldn't count "black talk" among them.

check out "intensity". it's pretty nice, IMO. billy cobham sounds good with earland (as he did with johnny hammond smith). i also have "soul story" which i like a lot but i don't think its been on CD.

i thought "dynamite brothers" would be the best but it isn't anything spectacular.

host, i enjoy some earland albums but wouldn't count "black talk" among them.

check out "intensity". it's pretty nice, IMO. billy cobham sounds good with earland (as he did with johnny hammond smith). i also have "soul story" which i like a lot but i don't think its been on CD.

i thought "dynamite brothers" would be the best but it isn't anything spectacular.

"Leaving this planet" is great fun - just before he turned full corner into ARP synth fusion. Every one goes all out the soloing. Joe Henderson and Hubbard provide excellent support. Best version of red clay for my money (if only cos Lenny white messed up the drums on the original). Overlooked LP largely due the fusiony touches and the fact that it's late in the prestige era, but certainly not because of the quality. The a nasty CD reissue wih redone cover art but the sound quality holds up.

A great album. I also love it. Even the covers, though I admit I also was a bit puzzled about the Elenanor Rigby remake on first listen. When the album was over I wondered why I hadn't heard it, a coupla tokes too much maybe?

But I love how Aquarius was pulled off. Overall a great organ groover. And it's even dancefloor friendly ... for one of those jazzdance clubs. I'm sure it was played a lot in the old acid jazz days and all its subsequent revivals.

• 2 years later...

I find a lot of similarities on this recording to Lou Donaldson's The Natural Soul. I admit not knowing much about Big John Patton but he does help lay down the funky soul sound. Grant Green really grooves on his solos. My eMusic copy has a bonus track - People Will Say We're in Love - I have no idea why this was left off the original recording (LP playing time is my educated guess).