brownie

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Hopefully, someday I will be able to tell my grandchildren "Hell, I finally got the last volume of the Integrale Louis Armstrong!".

:)

I would say the final set will be something like vol. 120.

If everything goes fine, and the current flow of 4 sets a year continues, that final set of theIntégrale should be available around 2040 :w

Provided CD sets will still be an acceptable form of music by then!

I'll keep my fingers crossed until then!

Hopefully, someday I will be able to tell my grandchildren "Hell, I finally got the last volume of the Integrale Louis Armstrong!".

:)

I would say the final set will be something like vol. 120.

If everything goes fine, and the current flow of 4 sets a year continues, that final set of theIntégrale should be available around 2040 :w

Provided CD sets will still be an acceptable form of music by then!

I'll keep my fingers crossed until then!

That will make 100 years of good health! A huge birthday party is expected, brownie (with Louis Armstrong music from the Intégrale series on the air)

Hope to be round there to celebrate!

:party:

No, they won't <_<

Like on volume 3 of the Intégrale, there was one track omitted from the set. This was 'Sunshine Baby', the Hociel Thomas tune from the session with Armstrong and Johnny Dodds.

It is now the final track on disc 1 of volume 4!

Frémeaux is doing OK :tup

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While I haven't started deeply exploring Volume 1, it looks great (and contains likely just about as much King Oliver as I'll need...). Now I have the Hot Fives/Sevens (Columbia/Sony 4CD set) and just indulged in the 1929-1946 Classics a week ago... I wonder though, with the other Fremeaux Volumes out so far (2, 3, and 4), has anyone done comparison to the Hot Fives box? The first few Hot Fives sides turn up on Fremeaux Vol. 3, but most of the Fives and Sevens seem to be on Volume 4 of the Fremeaux series - thing is, the tracklist is different from the Columbia (which is not entirely chronological, while I assume the Fremeaux is), so it's a bit of a drag to really check out if Fremeaux Vol. 4 contains anything that's NOT part of the Columbia set. Has anyone done that comparison before? And what if there's material on the Fremeaux Vol. 4 that's not on the Columbia, is that material good enough so I'll still need the Fremeaux?

Anyone?

Hey, don't you like my quick-typed free association posts? :rolleyes:

oops, that was in reply to a post already deleted by it's author... (I wondered why the quote-function wouldn't work, now I know...)

Anyway, in short my question:

1) does Volume 4 of the Fremeaux "Complete Louis Armstrong" series contain any non Hot Five/Seven sides?

2) how many are those, and are they reason enough to buy that set in addition to the 4CD Sony/Columbia set that I already own?

(and of less interest to myself: 3) has anyone compared the sound? I know many have issues with the Sony version and prefer the JSP, which I haven't heard myself)

Hey, don't you like my quick-typed free association posts? :rolleyes:

It was my post - which was: ????????????????????? :D

Then I saw that Flurin had shortened things and my post wasn't appropriate, so I deleted it. Just not soon enough. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm pretty good in crazy posts... :crazy::party::lol:

• 2 months later...

Volume 5 of the 'Intégrale Louis Armstrong' is out now.

FA1355.jpg

Details are to be found on the Fremeaux website:

http://www.fremeaux.com/index.php?page=sho...rt&Itemid=0

Has anybody done an A/B comparison with the JSPs? I'd be curious to know how these new releases compare with those. I have the JSPs and continue to be wowed by the sound quality on those!

Greg Mo

• 2 months later...

the Genius of Louis Armstrong, Vol 1 1923-1933, Columbia LP CG30416 - amazing sound -

in the next few weeks I'm going to be doing some LP transfers to show some of the stuff that may have been lost in the Universal fire, as well as some of the best of LP sound on records that appear to have been made from original masters -

keep posted, and I'll send anyone who's interested a CDR copy -

• 1 month later...

Volume 6 is out this month.

FA1356.jpg

It covers all of Satchmo's recorded material from March 1933 thru November 1933.

The tracks list (on 3 CDs):

Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra : Lazy River - Chinatown, My Chinatown - Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams (-1) - Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams (-2) - Star Dust (-1) - Star Dust (-4) - You Can Depend On Me - Georgia On My Mind - The Lonesome Road - I Got Rhythm - Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea (-A) - Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea (-2) - Kickin’ The Gong Around - Home - All Of Me - Love You, Funny Thing - New Tiger Rag - Keepin’ Out Of Mischief Now - Lawd, You Made The Night Too Long - Rhapsody In Black And Blue - Medley : You Rascal, You / Shine - I’ll Be Glad When You’re Dead - You Rascal, You - Medley : High Society / You Rascal, You / Chinatown, My Chinatown • Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra (The Chick Webb Orch.) : That’s My Home (-1) - That’s My Home (-2) - Hobo, You Can’t Ride This Train (-1) - Hobo, You Can’t Ride This Train (-2) - I Hate To Leave You Now (-1) - I Hate To Leave You Now (-2) - You’ll Wish You’d Never Been Born (-1) - You’ll Wish You’d Never Been Born (-2) • Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra (The Charlie Gaines Orch.) : Medley Of Armstrong’s Hits : When You’re Smiling / St. James Infirmary / Dinah / You Rascal, You / When It’s Sleepy / Time Down South/ Nobody’s Sweetheart - Medley Of Armstrong’s Hits : When You’re Smiling / St. James Infirmary / Dinah • Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra : I’ve Got The World On A String - I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues - Hustlin’ And Bustlin’ For Baby - Sittin’ In The Dark - High Society - He’s A Son Of The South - Some Sweet Day - Basin Street Blues - Honey, Do ! - Snowball - Mahogany Hall Stomp - Swing, You Cats • Louis Armstrong And His Orchestra : Honey, Don’t You Love Me Any More ? - Mississippi Basin (-1) - Mississippi Basin (-2) - Laughin’ Louie (-1) - Tomorrow Night (-1) - Tomorrow Night (-2) - Dusky Stevedore - Laughin’ Louie (-2) - There’s A Cabin In The Pines - Mighty River - Sweet Sue, Just You - I Wonder Who - St. Louis Blues - Don’t Play Me Cheap • Louis Armstrong And His Hot Harlem Band : I Cover The Waterfront - Dinah - Tiger Rag - Chinatown, My Chinatown - You Rascal, You - On The Sunny Side Of The Street - You Rascal, You - Dinah.

Next volume will include the start of the Decca material!

I'll stick with Frémeaux and will skip Mosaic's announced box! Sound on the Intégrale is more than satisfying to my ears.

• 5 months later...

Gee, they're too fast for me! :)

Also I have a long run of Classics covering roughly 1930-46 or so... the Mosaic would be a duplication (though certainly in better sound and with great documentation), and now this series is also entering those years...

What are you doing, brownie? Sticking to those Fremeaux sets? I have Vols. 1-4 so far.