Multiple album covers

John L

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My most recent purchase Lou Donaldson Quartet Live in Bologna, my CD has the first version on front and a variant of the second photo inside; (both great photos are by Hans Harzheim and looking at the second one it could well be from Düsseldorf where he lives and where I lived until some weeks ago and not from Bologna :) )

SJP202.jpgB00002DGID.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Also all the hat releases that were out on HatArt before turning into hatOLOGY releases had *very* different cover art! Not easy to find old ones on the web, though. The very last of the HatArt released made the switch in design, and some of those (Myra Melford, for instance) have then been reissued as hatOLOGY with the same cover.

What the hell?? :blink::blink::blink:

I don't think I've ever seen SO many albums, each with SO many multiple covers(!), all by the same artist.

Is there any other artist with a catalog so full of multiple covers like this??

This is whack!! :wacko::wacko:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

A number of jazz records have appeared over the years with quite a few different covers. One that comes to mind is Horace Silver's "Silver's Blue." It is easy to make a mistake and repurchase that one one or two or three times. :g

th_HoraceSilver-SilversBlue5.jpgth_HoraceSilver-SilversBlue.jpgth_HoraceSilver-SilversBlue4.jpgth_HoraceSilver-SilversBlue2.jpgth_HoraceSilver-SilversBlue3.jpg

The last one on the right is pretty damn cool looking. I'd repurchase it just for that cover. (The one I own is second from the left.)

Edited by BruceH

The other challenge with Ayler recordings is several have been reissued under different names (ie. Witches & Devils vs. Spirits; Ghosts vs. Vibrations).

So, again, what's the deal with all the multiple issues of Ayler recordings, with so many different covers (and multiple titles even, sometimes).

Why him?? What's the story here.

Unless somebody can point out at least three other musicians with as many "multiple cover issues" in their catalog, then there's GOT to be some story here.

are these yours, brownie? second and third?

Yes!

Bernard Stollman never returned the slides to me but obviously they went to other people :excited:

I printed them some time ago and always keep them with the CDs, very nice ones!

Good for you! The second one was taken at the entrance of the Jardins des Tuileries on the Place de la Concorde. The third one was taken in the gardens of the American Center in Paris where some incredible concerts were organised at the time (Sonny Murray, the AEC, Anthony Braxton and many others). The Center is now the Fondation Cartier. Not much music nowadays at the Fondation :(

Oh, but the cover for "Why Not" beats them all! That one I really love! Would be great to have the LP and put it on a wall!

Thanks for all the information, brownie! I guess it must have been awesome in and around Paris in 1968/70 when all those free jazz giants where there!

An endless subject ...

Referring to "Silver's Blue above", this seems to be a case of different sleeves being used for different countries where the original issues where released and pressed locally and not as imports. The one on the right seems to be the Dutch release, and the second to the right is the French one.

Back then the French seem to have had a habit of doing their own sleeves that were totally different from the original U.S. releases (same for certain Dutch labels such as Phillips). My French "original" of Harold Land's "Hear Ye", for example, has a cover totally different from that of the U.S. Atlantic pressing. And there are MANY more like this (such as NUMEROUS different covers of the Buck Clayton Jam sessions originally on Columbia).

But once you get into REISSUES you tend to get lost totally, especially if ownership to the rights of the original label has changed in between and if you live in Europe where numerous national branches followed their own policies.

When the 50s Vanguard 10" LP's were re-released in the 70s, for example, some of the Vic Dickension stuff was reissued in Britain on a twofer with modern artwork on the resurrected Vanguard label (distributed by RCA) in 1973. Not long afterwards exactly the same material cropped up (in Britan again) on a Vogue twofer (this time distributed by Pye) under the title "The Essential Vic Dickenson" (yeah, you guessed - I ended up with both because when you try to remember in a record shop about 600 miles from home if you have any particular music those totally different covers can get you pretty much hung up).

When you buy Fresh Sound reissues with their nicely done repros of the original covers you better remember that some of the stuff that originally was on Coral had already been reissued earlier on German MCA in their "Jazz Lab" series with totally bland covers. So you better check what you already have first.

Another case in point are the '80s Affinity reissues of Bethlehem LP's. Totally different covers but probably on the market at the same time as the Fresh Sound repro reissues. The same goes for Fresh Sound repros of RCA LP's from the 50s that might duplicate some of the material in the French RCA Jazzline series reissues of the same material (which had modern, uninspired covers).

And so on and so on ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Oh, but the cover for "Why Not" beats them all!

Speaking of multiple covers, I have an ESP-Disk brochure from around that time which shows the album being released as 'The Psychedelic Sounds of Marion Brown' with a cover shot of a pensive Marion Brown. Nothing like the great shot by Charles Shabacon which adorns the cover of the first Marion Brown release on ESP 1022.

Stollman changed the cover (and renamed) the 'Why Not' album when I came up to his offices with those Marion Brown slides!

Oh, but the cover for "Why Not" beats them all!

'The Psychedelic Sounds of Marion Brown'...

would have been a great title for the music on that album (w/the A. Shorter tune, mind me!), but with the b/w minimalist cover, the minimalist title it got is perfect!

Interesting about "Why Not" - so the source of the confusion is Stollman himself, not just those who did the later reissues, it seems! Chaos from day one... :D