Stan T/Lee M- 1964

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

I used to have that "giant white BN logo" poster up in the living room of the first apartment I moved into from home, Gardner Terrace, Allston, MA, lo these many years ago. Think I got it from one of those 'best of Blue Note' double-LP anthologies. Makes for a cool background.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have that "giant white BN logo" poster up in the living room of the first apartment I moved into from home, Gardner Terrace, Allston, MA, lo these many years ago. Think I got it from one of those 'best of Blue Note' double-LP anthologies. Makes for a cool background.

I've still got about 100 of the damn things from Pathe Macaroni ! :crazy:

Time to put them on ebay, perhaps?

I'll buy one from you for my office. Really. The album is standard mid-60's BN hard bop, nothing more, nothing less. Not where you would start for Turrentine (that would be 'Thats Where Its At' and 'Sugar' in my book, then some of the older BN's), but nice to have, as are all standard mid-60's BN hard bop recordings. And I'm glad there are middle-aged white guys with beards pointing younger guys towards Blue Note stuff. We need more of them, not less. And I'm middle-aged and white and often have a beard, so it could have been me receiving the murder threats!

Now, the Grant thing was part of a short-lived Liberty move to repackage some of the older BNs. Believe it or not, Soul Station was one of the ones that got a new cover.

Along with wholesale redesigns , Liberty changed the tint on some of the covers too . I remember seeing a Liberty copy of Donald Byrd's Cat Walk with purple tinting instead of the original orange-red . Hancock's Empyrean Isles was another retinted Liberty , and there were others . I myself have never seen the redesigned covers for Mobley's Soul Station or Green's Grant's First Stand mentioned above , but I have come across this redesigned Grant Green cover :

29e2124128a03bc762659010.L.jpg <====>GrantGreenGreenStreetAlternativeCov.jpg

Liberty changed colors on Cat Walk and Empyrean Isles because they were cheap - they printed their jackets 4 color process and it was cheaper/easier to use one of the basic colors than convert the original PMS colors.

The Liberty "train station" Soul Station was the first issue of this session in stereo, so I had both covers at one time. BTW that cover was a double exposure with a pic of Hank superimposed on the station.

The Liberty "train station" Soul Station was the first issue of this session in stereo, so I had both covers at one time. BTW that cover was a double exposure with a pic of Hank superimposed on the station.

Why was this one never released in stereo ? (Roll Call and later were released) Thanks for information. I think i've seen Donaldson's "time is right" with redesigned cover, right ?

The bad BN-completist I am threw dozens of those posters away :(

But I kept several of them -_-

Edited by brownie

• 2 weeks later...

IS THAT A NEW PHOTO OF HANK JUST FOR THAT COVER>>>>IT SEEMS TO BE IN COLOUR> WELL WAS THAT A STOCK PHOTO OR WHAT?

WHY DIDNT THEY JUST DO FACIMILE BAD COPIES OF THE ORIG> COVERS INSTEAD OF NEW COVERS ALTOGETHER> YOU KNOW< LIUKE YOUVEE SEEN THOSE CHEAP FACIMLE CADET GENE AMMONS LPS, RIGHT> AND IM NOT TALKING ABOUT A KOREAN IMPORT FACIMILE COPIES YOU SEE OF INNA GADDA DIVIDA OR CLOSE TO THE EDGE

********WELL THEN TECHNICALLY, SHOULDNT THE COVER OF SOUL STATION SEEN IN THE STORES BE **THIS** TRAIN COVER AND NOT THE ORIG, SINCE THE TRAIN LP IS THE 1st STEREO ISSUE OF THE LP. ISNT THAT WHAT CHUCK NESSA SAID.

WELL THEN IF THATS THE CASE THE TRAIN COVER SHOULD BE ON THE CD.

Technically? Well, yes, but then every Connoisseur CD cover of sessions originally released in the 70s should look like this:

nbn5%20265_thumb.jpg

Personally, I think the Liberty cover for Soul Station wasn't as bad as the others which have been posted here. Although I think it would have been better if it just showed the train station...

Personally, I think the Liberty cover for Soul Station wasn't as bad as the others which have been posted here. Although I think it would have been better if it just showed the train station...

Well, I think the LD takes the prize for absolute worst; the Bennie Green, while a bit too literal, does have somewhat of a "Blue Note" feel. The Hank is somewhere in between, imo.

someone post the lou cover! i dont care what anyone says: Lilly Tomlin is H-O-T!

Did you mean this one?

LouDonaldsonTheTimeisRightalternate.jpg

Chas posted it at #42.

Lily Tomlin is FUNNY. But H-O-T?

MG

BTW, that's a Lou Donaldson photo I haven't seen eslewhere.

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg