2006-2007 Hot Stove Thread

Brad suggested I get it started and at first I thought that there's nothing really happening, but then I realized that there is one topic we can work over:

Barry Bonds Declared Free Agency

So where does Bonds end up?

A lot of people assume he should go to the AL and be a DH, but not only does that assume that an AL team will have him and all the attendant headaches, but that Bonds will swallow some pride and agree to be DH. I read somewhere that his Range Factor wasn't at all bad which would suggest that what we all saw (an old man lumbering around LF) wasn't really the case.

And speaking of swallowing pride, the Giants owner made some comments about Bonds that suggested that they are finally ready to move into the post-Bonds era and start building a real team, with, like, maybe some youth or something. :g And Bonds took it as if the owner said he wanted to have sex with Barry's mom or something. :g :g

So if he gets an offer that is big on incentives and low on guaranteed salary, what does Barry do?

Does anyone want him and the enormous aggravation he'll bring? My best guess is that Bonds goes back to San Francisco, on a salary somewhere in between the mega bucks he's been getting and what he is truly worth, which is maybe 4 mil plus incentives. Maybe 10 mil plus incentives will get it done?

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it's all said and done, I think Bonds will be a Giant in '07. I was in the Bay Area this week going to various business meetings :bad: , and the word in the papers up there was that there is a "hint" of collusion among the owners to low-ball Bonds, and not make any big-time contract -- we'll see about that.

When it's all said and done, I think Bonds will be a Giant in '07. I was in the Bay Area this week going to various business meetings :bad: , and the word in the papers up there was that there is a "hint" of collusion among the owners to low-ball Bonds, and not make any big-time contract -- we'll see about that.

That wouldn't surprise me.

The polls show most people don't want him to break Hank Aaron's record, so it seems hard to believe that he'd be a great draw with a new team. SF is the only town that likes (or is it tolerates?) him. I wouldn't be surprised if some sportwriter like Rick Riley would try to organize a boycott if Bonds gets within reach. "What if Bonds broke the record and no one was there?" It practically writes itself. At this point Bonds could save a baby from a burning building and turn around and capture Osama and people would still boo him.

Edited by Quincy

Dan, did you see Jeter's "no problems, no tension to talk about with A-Rod" interview? Either he's clueless (highly unlikely) or he's displaying more of that prickly attitude. Jeter pride seems to be winning out over the Yankee variety.

Oh yeah. I love how he defended Giambi but doesn't think there's anything he can or should do for A-Rod. That guy hates A-Rod and doesn't care what it does to his team. Not much of a team player in my book. I mean all Jeter had to do was say "this guy is working hard, he's a great player and he's going to produce, it doesn't help when the fans boo him" and the fans would have backed off. But no ....

dan

you coulda started this thread after that 5 game sweep vs ny in august ......

:ph34r:

that might have been the end of the Red Sox season but Hot Stove season doesn't start til the Series is over and free agents, trades and roster moves are the topics that sustain us til February.

The polls show most people don't want him to break Hank Aaron's record, so it seems hard to believe that he'd be a great draw with a new team. SF is the only town that likes (or is it tolerates?) him. I wouldn't be surprised if some sportwriter like Rick Riley would try to organize a boycott if Bonds gets within reach. "What if Bonds broke the record and no one was there?" It practically writes itself. At this point Bonds could save a baby from a burning building and turn around and capture Osama and people would still boo him.

Truly, is there any city in America that would be excited to get Bonds and his attitude? Maybe he could go to Boston -- could you imagine Manny and Bonds in the same clubhouse? :rofl:

Truly, is there any city in America that would be excited to get Bonds and his attitude? Maybe he could go to Boston -- could you imagine Manny and Bonds in the same clubhouse? :rofl:

That shit's not funny, man.

:g

It seems to me there is one other critical question:

Where does Mr. Matsuzaka end up?

As I understand it, sealed bids are being prepared for submission to his Japanese team. Winning bid gets 30 days to negotiate a contract with Matsuzaka and his spawn of Satan agent. If you can't reach a deal, no money exchanges hands, and in one year, Matsuzaka will be a free agent so there will be no money for his team, he can instead, like Matsui before him, simply negotiate with the team he wants to play for (Seattle being the obvious preference).

Matsuzaka was 17-5 with a 2.13 ERA for the Seibu Lions this season. In 186 1/3 innings, he allowed only 138 hits and struck out 200. He's 26 years old. He dominated at the WBC last year. And he throws a "gyroball":

youtube Clicky

That pitch is nasty, especially since he throws it around 90 mph!

Personally, I think Matsuzaka, even with the added cost, is the best pitcher available this off-season. If I were Theo, I'd think seriously about bidding 30 mil for the chance to negotiate. There is suspicion that 20 million will do it, but I think that is way off. With pitching in such short supply, mediocre options among free agents, and tons of money filling the sport's coffers, this guy is going to attract some serious interest.

you coulda started this thread after that 5 game sweep vs ny in august ......

In my book the season ended the week before, when as I recall the Sox lost five straight games to two last place teams.

Well that certainly was a taste of what was to come. Two in a row to Tampa (which I witnessed; thankfully I couldn't stick around for the bullpen arson of the second game) and then swept by KC. But that was actually 8 days before the Massacre. In between we got healthy against the hapless O's (three game sweep) and lost two of three to Detroit. Then we stepped out of an airplane sans parachute.

Some folks might have a tough time entering a baseball thread started by you.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

:tup Thanks! Is there any reason we can't have a thread called Baseball (Non-Dan, Non-Yankee/Red Sox melodrama)? I don't think that's a cantankerous suggestion at all. Cool it :crazy:

:tup Thanks! Is there any reason we can't have a thread called Baseball (Non-Dan, Non-Yankee/Red Sox melodrama)? I don't think that's a cantankerous suggestion at all. Cool it :crazy:

And I'm to be banned from this thread? No, not a cantakerous suggestion at all.

No one has ever been stopped from posting non-Yankee-Red Sox comments in any baseball thread.

Silly post.

Very astute observation.

Then start another f-ing one and I'll delete this.

Otherwise, piss off.

Wouldn't have expected such harsh words from a class act like yourself, Dan.

I learned long ago about getting into pissing contests with skunks. It's best to just walk away.

Sayonara, Danny boy.