Personal Messages

Jazzmoose

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is fixed now. It was not the board software it was the server. I was online until about 6:30am last night and I could not send or receive any messages from Outlook using my organissimo account because of a socket error.

I just logged on and sent all my unsent messages from last night with no problems so hopefully whatever was wrong is done.

I posted to a couple threads earlier this morning, and got the same errors as before (see my most recent post in this thread). Presumably this is the same error people are getting with PM's.

And, now that I think of it - I think I tried to send a PM last last night, and got the same error too.

I posted to a couple threads earlier this morning, and got the same errors as before (see my most recent post in this thread). Presumably this is the same error people are getting with PM's.

And, now that I think of it - I think I tried to send a PM last last night, and got the same error too.

==========

Hell's bells, I got it again as I was posting this very post. I'm sure that it probably went though, but I dutifully hit the "back" button on my brouser, and am now posting again (probably resulting in a duplicate, except for these added comments, below the line of "====").

The error:

Mail Error!

SMTP protocol failure!

Host: localhost

Return Code:

Return Msg:

Invision Power Board Error: Could not open a socket to the SMTP server

Check your SMTP settings from the admin control panel

I just sent a PM and got the same Sprockets error (would you like to touch my monkey? :) but I am assuming that it still arrived. I don't have a problem posting though.

And still no e-mail notifications of PMs received.

EDIT: I DO have a problem posting, I got the same weird error message now, but since I've seen people getting snookered into multiple postings, I didn't use the back button so I avoided padding my total there.

Really not good though.

Edited by Dan Gould

I've been using the PM function more than ever today, and it seems to be working every time, in spite of the error message.

If you want to be sure the message reches its destination, check the box 'Track this message' at the bottom of the page of the message you're about to send. Then you may use the 'Message Tracker' (found in the Messenger menu) to check if and when the recipient read the message.

I think its basically been established that PMs are delivered and that the error message received is related only to the e-mail notification that a message has been received.

So, basically, people simply should refrain from using the back button to "try again" as it only results in multiple copies of the same PM being delivered.

I've posted a couple of times tonight (11/9). Both times I've got 'Mail not sent' messages.

Last time when I resent it also resent a post from a couple of hours back which led to a double posts (which I've since deleted). Odd.

I've never used the PM function here so it can't be that!