Ruth Brown's....

sheldonm

That's sad news indeed. She was just on UK TV the other day on a 'history of soul' documentary looking very much alive and full of spirit. Must have been recorded over a year ago though.

I'll dig out that LP she did with Thad & Mel this weekend, in respect.

Edited by sidewinder

That's sad news indeed. She was just on UK TV the other day on a 'history of soul' documentary looking very much alive and full of spirit. Must have been recorded over a year ago though.

I'll dig out that LP she did with Thad & Mel this weekend, in respect.

Yes, slightly more than a year, I think. It was first televised about a year ago. She was terrific in it, too. She made you really feel what she was saying about the conditions under which the old R&B singers worked.

Wonderful singer! Great sense of humour - "If I can't sell it, I'll keep sittin' on it". I'll listen to "Blues on Broadway" tomorrow.

MG

Another one of the greats has left us. I had the pleasure of hearing her sing in a small club in the early 1970s backed by a small organ based group. I can't recall who the musicians were. It was around the time that her lp on Cobbelstone came out. It was a great evening. The Times obit has a few small errors but is essentially on the money and properly respectful of a great artist. Thanks for the music RB.