Noj's Shameless Self-Promotion

Noj

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is fascinating!

Thank you very much for being shameless.

Please tell more about the actual techniques you employ, the ideas.

Basically, how the pictures come about?

Thanks Dmitry, I appreciate the kind words.

I am influenced by album covers, skateboards, graffiti, and cartoons. I particularly enjoy to do portraits, so I usually make someone my subject matter. Then I use what I know of that person to come up with other images to accompany the portrait, and work out the design from there in a drawing.

Wow, Noj, these are fantastic! You are very talented. I don't know the first thing about visual art, but your technique seems (from this limited vantage point) consistent in all the right places, especially in the features of the faces. I have the feeling if I became familiar with your art that I could recognize one of your paintings just by looking at the people. I like the colors too. I think my favorite is the big guy with the little head standing before the mountain. The confidence in the guy's face seems bigger than the mountain.

Wow, Noj, these are fantastic! You are very talented. I don't know the first thing about visual art, but your technique seems (from this limited vantage point) consistent in all the right places, especially in the features of the faces. I have the feeling if I became familiar with your art that I could recognize one of your paintings just by looking at the people. I like the colors too. I think my favorite is the big guy with the little head standing before the mountain. The confidence in the guy's face seems bigger than the mountain.

Thanks Joe Christmas!

Thanks so much for sharing your work with us, Noj. I can relate to how difficult it is to relinquish your creations. What wonderful work! I view what I've seen here as "inspired illustrations", which is not a way of adding or detracting from your wonderful talents, but rather a simplistic way of describing them.

Since my oldest son and I have each been artistically engaged for a long time, I especially appreciate your contributions here.

Thanks so much for sharing these excellent works! You remind me of Mort Drucker in a great way. . . he was a master of creating a charicature that really brought out aspects of the character of his subject, and you are doing that as well in a less cartoon and yet fanciful way.

Excellent use of colors and bold idea as well.

My hat is off!

Very attractive work. I like how in some of the paintings, the environment seems to support and amplify the character of the subject. Like Jim I immediately thought of the possibility of having you do our next cd cover. Keep up the good work! :tup

Really great stuff, Noj. Thank you for sharing these with us. I love art, although I have almost NO talent myself. People like you really p*ss me off! ;):P All I can say is, I hope you will continue to paint! I have an older brother who has incredible artistic talent, but he hasn't had the time or the inclination to express it. He does play the guitar and the trombone, though, so I'll cut him a little slack.

I really dig the Wes image- I've tried doing pencil sketches (from photographs), and for some reason his face was always very difficult for me to capture (I had more success with a few others I tried). I also love the way you shaped the guitars (his and Jimi's). A little abstract... that's probably the way I should try doing it (I always used to go for realism in shape and dimensions, and I've never been able to pull that off).

I think my favorite of these is the Milt Jackson image. You NAILED Bags, and that background is really intriguing (reminds me of Pacific Northwest native arts). Any details about that you'd care to share?

Thanks again- you are a wonderful artist.

...I think my favorite of these is the Milt Jackson image. You NAILED Bags, and that background is really intriguing (reminds me of Pacific Northwest native arts). Any details about that you'd care to share?

Thank you very much, Jim R.

Bags played for so long in such a wide variety of settings that the theme I came up with was longevity. The images accompanying Milt are a Galapagos turtle, a Sequoia tree, and a McCaw--all of which are known for their long lifespans. I have added more detail to the painting (like I said it appears in an incomplete state). The colors were inspired from a desire to break out of a set of colors that were appearing in every painting I did.