Wynton Marsalis

Simon Weil

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I have not heard of this record. Is it good? Presumably this is not going to be a bad reenactment of a very historical form of jazz. I don't know what the relevance is to the Louis Armstrong record, other than that it is Wynton and JATLC.

Regarding The Music Of Wayne Shorter recording, I have heard most of it. In fact, a majority of it is on YouTube. However, I am not a big fan of the JALC sound, so I didn't buy the CD. Their ensemble playing isn't for me. I was never a fan of that style. I'm much more more of a small group fan and probably will continue to prefer that over big bands.

I'm also not a fan of the JALC because of their continued bias against having women in the band but that is for a different discussion.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always gone back and forth on Wynton. On the one hand, like others, I did like his early stuff, and I do admire his deep devotion to the history of the music and his efforts at JATLC to make more people aware of it, but his hubris drives me away from his own projects. I recently tried watching the Burns series again, and found myself--again--fast forwarding through Wynton's endless babbling. He needs to put a small group together and go out on the road and just play. Maybe that would give him some much needed perspective??

5 minutes ago, bresna said:

...However, I am not a big fan of the JALC sound, so I didn't buy the CD. Their ensemble playing isn't for me. I was never a fan of that style. I'm much more more of a small group fan and probably will continue to prefer that over big bands...

Does JALC ever perform classic albums by big bands/jazz orchestras from the original charts? 

27 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

He needs to put a small group together and go out on the road and just play. Maybe that would give him some much needed perspective??

For the past 30 years or so, Wynton has brought the JLCO into Boston, typically to Symphony Hall. I've never seen them play live and don't think I ever will. During those same 30 years, Wynton brought a small group into Boston twice. The first time, I couldn't get a ticket. It's was one of those "you have to know someone" shows. The second time I got lucky and got a pair of tickets. It was an excellent show. I think it was a sextet maybe? Wynton played his ass off. He can play very well in a small band, without a doubt.

21 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Does he do this anymore? 

Last July, Wynton brought a sextet to Jimmy's Jazz Club in Portsmouth. I thought I might want another chance to catch Wynton in a small band... but $200/ticket with all of the best seats already sold to "Jimmy's Inner Circle" members? Thanks but no thanks.

BTW - Jimmy's Inner Circle membership costs $5K per year. So spend $5K to get first dibs at $200 Wynton tickets... and who said Jazz shows are inexpensive? :)

Edited by bresna

1 minute ago, bresna said:

For the past 30 years or so, Wynton has brought the JLCO into Boston, typically to Symphony Hall. I've never seen them play live and don't think I ever will. During those same 30 years, Wynton brought a small group into Boston twice. The first time, I couldn't get a ticket. It's was one of those "you have to know someone" shows. The second time I got lucky and got a pair of tickets. It was an excellent show. I think it was a sextet maybe? Wynton played his ass off. He can play very well in a small band, without a doubt.

Last July, Wynton brought a sextet to Jimmy's Jazz Club in Portsmouth. I thought I might want another chance to catch Wynton in a small band... but $200/ticket with all of the best seats already sold to "Jimmy's Inner Circle" members? Thanks but no thanks. :)

BTW - Jimmy's Inner Circle membership costs $5K per year. So spend $5K to get first dibs at $200 Wynton tickets... and who said Jazz shows are inexpensive? :)

If he's still selling out like that it's just weird that he doesn't do it more.